Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks - new to the forum and there's plenty here but has any one got a report on the GG AT 235/55/r19 's
Keen to know how they go on and off road - I and the better haf have killed 2 Perellis' and it's time to look at something with a little more purpose.

We spend a bit of time in the high country over summer - gravel / shale roads and tracks, was going to hold aot for some 18'rims but the GG's are on sale for $210 a corner on 19's righ now which is prety much the priceof 2 perellis.

thaughts anyone???

cheers jfk

2015 DS HSE:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. How many miles do you have on your DS? I'm at around 17,500 miles on the odometer. I really want to upgrade to more beefier tires as well. I don't really like the factory all seasons as it is already wearing out fast and plus I've had situations where nail punctures are more frequent. It's very hard for me to find an AT tire that is 235/55 R19. Most that I find are 255 65 R19. I wonder if I can fit does tires on my factory rims?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had the GG AT3 255/55 R19 tyres for almost a year now. Slightly greater width gives about a 10mm lift at the same aspect ratio and gives great rim protection. Love the tyres in sand and mud, no punctures on the rough stuff and they go great on the road too. Recommend the slightly larger width but can’t speak for the road rules in your location regarding the extra diameter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I scrubbed off a set of Contis 235/60 R18 in 18,000kms (see my story under Moding Discovery Sports?). Fitted GG AT3s 235/60 R18 and love them. Not noisy as I would have expected, and good traction.
What is unclear is what pressure to air down for beach driving. Jax maintain normal city driving should be at 40psi - do I follow the normal air down guidelines?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I scrubbed off a set of Contis 235/60 R18 in 18,000kms (see my story under Moding Discovery Sports?). Fitted GG AT3s 235/60 R18 and love them. Not noisy as I would have expected, and good traction.
What is unclear is what pressure to air down for beach driving. Jax maintain normal city driving should be at 40psi - do I follow the normal air down guidelines?
Depends on the beach driving really. I tend not to go too low early on - I go to 24-26 psi as usually the beach access track might be really dry but then i'm heading a long way up the foreshore where it's firm and damp. Then you can drop 2 psi at a time if you find a tricky beach exit or dry inland track. I would think you could go down to 18psi for a particular "obstacle" without any issue but I've never had to go that low and I wouldn't want to drive any extended distances that low. The trick is to drop the pressure before you get completely bogged/beached.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same question as well. Will the 255's R19 be okay without a need for a lift?
I have 255/55 R19's - you won't need a lift. It is possible to get the tiniest amount of rub on full lock in reverse, though, just on the wheel arch liner. Doesn't ever persist or cause any damage though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got the 235/65/17 and couldn't be happier. Try get your hands on 17" rims, they will do better job offload.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you so much for the reply.
I guess my question was really 'do I follow the guidelines of Conti onroaders for AT3 offroaders?'. when using for beach driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same question as well. Will the 255's R19 be okay without a need for a lift?
I have 255/55 R19's - you won't need a lift. It is possible to get the tiniest amount of rub on full lock in reverse, though, just on the wheel arch liner. Doesn't ever persist or cause any damage though.
Hi thank you for your info. I'm just unsure when you say full lock. Do you mean AWD in reverse? I just don't see how it can rub going backwards if it doesn't going forward. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi thank you for your info. I'm just unsure when you say full lock. Do you mean AWD in reverse? I just don't see how it can rub going backwards if it doesn't going forward. Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the slow reply. By "full-lock" I mean turning the steering wheel fully to the left. It only happens in reverse when under a bit of load (i.e., reversing up a slight ramp or reversing abruptly).

My thoughts are specifically that when reversing at full left lock the the wheel assembly is forced backward towards the wheel arch liner creating a contact point with the rear inside corner of the front left tyre. There is no contact moving forwards or in any other position including on the front right tyre when reversing with full right lock. I assume this is either a result of the different axle lengths or some slight discrepancy in the fit of the wheel arch liners. Either way, the contact is very light and has not left any rub marks in the liner after 12 months of occasional contact.

To be honest I only really mentioned it because it probably serves as a guide for how wide you can take a 30" diameter tyre (255 max probably) without having to space, which i'm not sure would be the answer and that I don't think a lift would fix the tyre width issue. Of course there could also be some variations depending on which country your car was purchased in, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I fitted 255 55 19 Pirelli 's to my Disco Sport and have a bit of sway at about 110 km/h. Feels like cross winds. Was wondering if you had similar issues.
In response to this related private message (apparently I can't send PM's yet?):

Do you mean the car sways back and forth (left to right) or occasionally lurches one way and you have to correct?

I don't have any issues at any speeds with these tyres, have you checked your tyre pressures? make sure they are even across the axles.

Also, I have a big roof tray on mine and, to be honest, don't really notice cross wind buffeting too much - it's still a fairly low profile SUV.

If the car is swaying back and forth it isn't cross wind. If it lurches occasionally when you pass a truck, then it could be. You should be able to hear the wind noise, though (if you turn the stereo off) and you should feel the car roll a little to the sides too.

Definitely get the tracking done at a garage somewhere. If it's way off it could be causing an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the GG AT3 255/55 R19 tyres for almost a year now. Slightly greater width gives about a 10mm lift at the same aspect ratio and gives great rim protection. Love the tyres in sand and mud, no punctures on the rough stuff and they go great on the road too. Recommend the slightly larger width but can’t speak for the road rules in your location regarding the extra diameter.
Can you post a couple of pictures of your set up. I am planning to purchase tires with the same size but different tires. I I appreciate it and thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have slightly larger tires than you @outbackgeo and they fit with minimal rubbing at full lock, no other issues whatsoever.

I recommend 265/60/R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3s for a great balance between sidewall height and tire width.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you post a couple of pictures of your set up. I am planning to purchase tires with the same size but different tires. I I appreciate it and thank you
Couple images for you, these are before a few other mods including lifting. These tyres go great on the sand!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have slightly larger tires than you @outbackgeo and they fit with minimal rubbing at full lock, no other issues whatsoever.

I recommend 265/60/R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3s for a great balance between sidewall height and tire width.
That's awesome, I honestly would have guessed that 265's would be too wide and would rub at full lock as mine only just clear. You definitely get more tyre options on 18's, i nearly swapped for 17's but it's a pain to find any guaranteed to clear the brakes - in the end just swapping the rubber has worked out well for my usage - mostly really beaches & sand, with some roots, mud, and gravel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts