Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post, but hoping someone can shed some light or help:

I've got a 2015 2.2 HSE Luxury (9-speed auto), which threw up a 'gearbox fault' warning on the dash and seemed unwilling/unable to change gear. This was cleared by turning the car off and back on again, and the car drove normally, but I booked it in to an independent 'approved' garage under third party warranty that came with the car to have it looked at.

The garage diagnosed it as a fault with the transmission control module, but this part was on back order so the car was returned and I continued to drive it until 'gearbox fault' appeared again on the dash a couple of weeks later. This time when the ignition was turned off/on, 'parking brake fault' was also displayed and the car would then not come out of Park, leaving me stranded.

I managed to get the car recovered to the same garage and eventually the transmission control module was replaced once this arrived. The faults were cleared and the car appeared to be driving normally again for about a week - until the exact same thing happened again.

The car has now been recovered again to the garage and upon further investigation they now think the whole gearbox needs replacing.

They've managed to source a 9-speed auto box from a newer 2.0 car, but apparently this won't fit the 2.2 engine and they can't currently find a suitable replacement - so I'm going to be left without a car until they can locate one.

So a few questions/things I was hoping someone might be able to help with:
1. Has anyone come across this or a similar-sounding issue before and how was it resolved?
2. Does anyone have experience to know whether the auto gearbox from the 2.0 can be made to fit the 2.2?
3. If you're aware of somewhere that I could source an auto gearbox from a 2.2 car, or know of someone breaking one, I'd be interested to hear about it

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I've got a 2015 2.2 HSE Luxury (9-speed auto), which threw up a 'gearbox fault' warning on the dash and seemed unwilling/unable to change gear. This was cleared by turning the car off and back on again, and the car drove normally, but I booked it in to an independent 'approved' garage under third party warranty that came with the car to have it looked at.

The garage diagnosed it as a fault with the transmission control module, but this part was on back order so the car was returned and I continued to drive it until 'gearbox fault' appeared again on the dash a couple of weeks later. This time when the ignition was turned off/on, 'parking brake fault' was also displayed and the car would then not come out of Park, leaving me stranded.

I managed to get the car recovered to the same garage and eventually the transmission control module was replaced once this arrived. The faults were cleared and the car appeared to be driving normally again for about a week - until the exact same thing happened again.

The car has now been recovered again to the garage and upon further investigation they now think the whole gearbox needs replacing.

They've managed to source a 9-speed auto box from a newer 2.0 car, but apparently this won't fit the 2.2 engine and they can't currently find a suitable replacement - so I'm going to be left without a car until they can locate one.

1. Has anyone come across this or a similar-sounding issue before and how was it resolved?
2. Does anyone have experience to know whether the auto gearbox from the 2.0 can be made to fit the 2.2?
3. If you're aware of somewhere that I could source an auto gearbox from a 2.2 car, or know of someone breaking one, I'd be interested to hear about it

Thanks in advance.
I have the same car as you and had the same issue a few years ago. The error came up and car went into limp home mode. After pulling over and turning the car off and on again it was fine. Took it to the local LR dealer the next day and they said it was a transmission fault and that the transmission needed to be replaced. The car was under warranty so no cost to me. It took a few weeks before the transmission arrived but we did not experience any issues with the car again while waiting. The local dealer replaced the transmission and haven’t had any issues since. We’ve done 110,000km now without issue. The 2.0 Diesel engine is completely different to the 2.2 in our cars so I can’t see the transmission for the new engine fitting the old one. I would contact car wrecking yards to look for a gear box or contact your LR dealer and find out stock availability of a new one. I think it was a known issue so LR might even help out with some of the cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I have a 2016, 9 speed auto diesel and I had the same problem.
Car reported a Gearbox Fault, i turned it off and after that it started but wouldnt go into gear. Had it towed and eventually they replaced the gearbox.
that was 12 months ago.
Recently, ( in the last few months) the car reports Gear box fault after about 60 minutes of freeway driving, i stop the engine, wait 5 minutes and we are good to go.
Land Rover here in Sydney cant get the gearbox to fault but feel it may be the Torque Converter may be faulty.
Their suggestion is to drive it until it gives it up completely, then they can diagnose the issue and fix it.
This is great for them. But if i am hundreds of kilometers rom civilisation it may take days for a recovery vehicle to find me.

if anyone has any suggestions i would welcome them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts