Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

a new member here - does anyone have issues with fuel consumption? Got a 2017 HSE Lux back in June, 3.5K miles now and still getting less than 10 mpg in the city. Of course, it's San Francisco and we have hills, but I was getting at least 16 mpg in BMW X3 with a similar engine before. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
I live in a hilly area as well and city fuel economy is very poor, however on the highway I get better than advertised. I only use premium non ethanol gas , unless in the US where it is hard to find.

I calculate fuel economy as the computer is way to optimistic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi All,

a new member here - does anyone have issues with fuel consumption? Got a 2017 HSE Lux back in June, 3.5K miles now and still getting less than 10 mpg in the city. Of course, it's San Francisco and we have hills, but I was getting at least 16 mpg in BMW X3 with a similar engine before.
That sounds way too low to me. But I don’t live in the hills. Still I could drive ours like I stole it and still get 20MPG.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I live in a hilly area as well and city fuel economy is very poor, however on the highway I get better than advertised. I only use premium non ethanol gas , unless in the US where it is hard to find.

I calculate fuel economy as the computer is way to optimistic.
Yes this ^^^

Odometer divided by amount of fuel = accurate MPG

BTW I drive in flat Los Angeles and get 22MPG on my '16 DS.

Remember to get the fuel gauge calibration updated done by your service dept - otherwise you will never fill up the tank...:eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
10mpg is not right for such a car with I4 Turbo...that's more like what H3 would do....
I mean...I am not too impressed with the fuel economy...my local / city driving gets me an average speed of 25mph which then translates into about 13-14mpg..... once I start averaging 50mph or above I get about 22mpg.....don't think that in the 2 months of ownership (it's 2017 HSE) I have seen the car hit anything better

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Disco Sport with the old I4 is not great on gas. We use automatic.com for a bunch of fancy graphs, one of which is fuel economy from the OBD / ECM. Our trusty 08 Sequoia with a wee 5.7L v8 & 381HP averages 15.5MPG in 2016. Our Disco Sport with a lot less cargo typically is has gotten 18.1MPG in the last two months. To be honest, we're quite shocked. Love the car, how it does so poorly with fuel boggles the mind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Couldn't agree more, Dinkeldorf.... really weak performance in terms of MPG.
I wonder if it isn't a bit due to the slow acceleration and sluggish transmission....
For me....I think I might be hitting it too hard since it feels sluggish (after driving fast sedans all my life).... I am rather impatient with DS's acceleration so I hit it hard for 3-4 sec...wait for the delay of the Turbo and the transmission trying hard to jump through the infinity of gears and finally after the vehicle almost redlines and finally picks up some speed - I ease on it....

the few times when in S mode - I felt the type of response that I'd expect from this type of a vehicle....so don't feel the need to hit on the gas so hard....I will try driving only in S-mode for a while....might actually improve my MPG....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts