Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I bought a used 2015 Disco Sport a couple of weeks ago and experienced an interesting set of errors and faults the other day. My wife had driven it her normal commute for work and when she tried to start the car to come home the dashboard lit up with a plethora of world ending faults including: ABS Fault, EBD Fault, Engine Temperature Indication Fault, Gearbox Fault, HDC System Fault, and the check engine light. I say world ending because my wife was really excited about her new car and she was an hour from home. I drove down to see what I could do and found the car unusable. The engine would start some of the time and any attempt to change gears would result in the selector knob locking itself. It was a bit of a crap shoot whether the correct sequence of buttons were hit to get the car into neutral long enough to get it on a flat bed tow truck. The local LR dealer looked at it and didn't find much. Only the Check Engine light was on and the car started normally for them. Luckily I had my wife take a video of all of the errors just in case. The dealer said it was some corrupt software and did an update, however, after a few days of driving the same error happened again. This time about a block after starting our journey. The car practically shut itself down while driving. I managed to get it back to the house, but there was a definite difference in engine performance, I'm guessing it put itself in 'limp' mode. I also found the gear selector locked once back in the driveway. Eventually the error cleared after a few seconds long enough to get it in park and shut it down. We switched cars and left it over night. It started normally the next morning with only the check engine light on. I disconnected the battery to clear the error and drove it around all day with no problems. My wife, however, won't touch the thing anymore. I went away for business and I'm looking for any ideas to possible causes that I can bring with me when I take it back in for service.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with their vehicles? I'm thinking something physical rather than just bad software. An electrical issue seems to be the most likely cause to me. Some sort of input surge that causes the computer to choke on itself. Maybe bad battery, or alternator, or short in the wiring? Anyone with a similar experience and known fix would be helpful. My wife really likes the car and I'd really like for her to trust it again.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Has the car been involved in a flood situation ?
I ask because it sounds like water got into the system....

I had a similar experience at a high end dealership that was selling a used LR3 with low miles.
Found out after driving it off the lot, all the warning lights started to light up.
Taking it to my mechanic, he found the car had been flooded in the east coast then sold by auction to this dealer without any reports on CarFax...
The dealer then wiped the ECU and made it appear fine at the test drive....

Luckily, I had AAA/Auto Club Used car purchasing program behind me and got my money back refunded in full after I returned it to a dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just had exactly the same issue and posted on a thread just yesterday ... four times in 3 months on a disco sport 2017 with 3500m on the clock .... and they have been telling me its a one off !

·
Registered
588 Posts
Check the car for any accident work, water damage, or VIN check with your insurance company.
A body shop can tell you immediately if there was any body work or has been in a flood.
I found that when the repairs are made on this type vehicle, the electrical wiring, sensors, and fiber cabling are disrupted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts