Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tinted the windows on the front doors? Curious to see how the different shades look. I would like to match the back windows, but I'm afraid that will be too dark to see out. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Has anybody tinted the windows on the front doors? Curious to see how the different shades look. I would like to match the back windows, but I'm afraid that will be too dark to see out. Thanks for sharing.
I have. I have the black pack which has the privacy windows in the rear. to match that I would recommend a 15% tint as I went with 30% to be conservative and now regret that it's not dark enough. btw, tinting front windows are illegal but I'm sure you already know that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just tinted my front two windows to match the rear privacy glass. The problem you're going to face is not the darkness of the tint to match the rear. That's the easy part. The problem is actually matching the tint color hue. The rear privacy glass has a slight brown hue to it...most if not all automotive tint has a slight green hue. When it's dark or you're just looking at the car, you most likely won't notice the difference. But when you're looking out from the inside is when you notice it the most. I was going to settle on keeping it but decided to remove it. If only the tint matched 100% in terms of color hue and darkness...that would be perfect. It looks so much better tinted IMO.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just tinted my front two windows to match the rear privacy glass. The problem you're going to face is not the darkness of the tint to match the rear. That's the easy part. The problem is actually matching the tint color hue. The rear privacy glass has a slight brown hue to it...most if not all automotive tint has a slight green hue. When it's dark or you're just looking at the car, you most likely won't notice the difference. But when you're looking out from the inside is when you notice it the most. I was going to settle on keeping it but decided to remove it. If only the tint matched 100% in terms of color hue and darkness...that would be perfect. It looks so much better tinted IMO.

what shade % did you get? and did you get the ceramic stuff? that's what I got. i'm color blind so I can't tell the difference even if there is any haha. yes, the look is so much better tinted

·
Registered
23 Posts
what shade % did you get? and did you get the ceramic stuff? that's what I got. i'm color blind so I can't tell the difference even if there is any haha. yes, the look is so much better tinted
The installer told me it was comparable to 30% since the OEM clear window is slightly tinted (it's not completely clear). And I don't think it was ceramic either...i'm not sure.

So what colors can't you see since you're color blind? Tinted windows looks so much better...it is weird how it turns heads and get stares driving by some people. It's completely stock too. Haha.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can see color but I just can't tell differences in certain colors. certain green, red, brown, blue, purple are very confusing to me.

yea the DS is special, I have only seen 3 of them since I bought mine in April 2015.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Funny, in California, tinting the front windows is a no no but everyone does it anyways...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, all. I'm looking at ceramic tint, just trying to decide between the 15% and 30%. Any chance you tinters can post a couple pics and note the %tint you have, please? Thanks again!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've also tinted my front windows at 30% tint not for aesthetic reasons but for some privacy. (Anything darker would be illegal in my state.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with 15% Xpel XR Ceramic on the front two windows and 70% on Xpel XR Ceramic on the windshield. The tint looks dark from the outside but I can see perfectly fine looking out - day or night.

You can see a different hue from the two fronts vs the rear. Everything looks blueish from the tinted windows and brown from the factory windows. If you wear polarized glasses you'll see a rainbow effect on the two front windows/windshield.

I had 20% on my old Evoque with no front windshield tint and that looked as dark - I am thinking its because the DS has a larger rear windshield, so I might just get that tinted, plus it helps cut out the light from when people drive with their high beams on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe my guys installed 20% on my fronts. It was the closest we could find to match OEM. (I grabbed the shot from instagram so don't mind the grainy detail lol)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got mine tinted using 25%. The installer had a tool that measured what the back windows are and it came to 22%. I do have the dynamic and black package. Here is a before picture and a couple after pics. After the tint cured for a few days it matches really well with the back. Made a big difference to the look of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did 40% on the front and 60% on the windshield. 3M Crystalline has very similar hue with the stock privacy glass in the rear. The only color difference is when you do car wash. When with water beads, the tinted glass starts to show a sort of yellow/orange spectrum, which is also happening with Tesla X's roof glass.

The California cops have never pulled me so far. I wish I would have done it with 30% on the front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts