Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Within my menu tree (accessed from the menu button on the left side of the steering wheel), there are two features that I have no indication actually exist. I can "turn them on" by selecting them and placing a checkmark in the box. They are AEB, which I assume is autonomous emergency braking, and Forward Alert, which I could not find described anywhere. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello,

Within my menu tree (accessed from the menu button on the left side of the steering wheel), there are two features that I have no indication actually exist. I can "turn them on" by selecting them and placing a checkmark in the box. They are AEB, which I assume is autonomous emergency braking, and Forward Alert, which I could not find described anywhere. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Yea, AEB is autonomous emergency braking. Check out page 119(?) in your manual. It should stop your vehicle if you get too close the car in front. It is triggered by the cameras in your windshield. There are several postings about this on this forum and other Land Rover forums. I've seen some postings where the AEB system triggered, but many of us haven't been brave enough to see if it triggers by getting too close to the car in front.

Forward Alert is supposed to warn you if you get too close to the vehicle in front (see page 139(?) in the manual). If you have Adaptive Cruise Control, you can set the following distance which affects the FA settings. Again, many of us have not been brave enough to really check it out.

Here is a video of AEB in action: Land Rover Discovery Sport AEB Test 2014 - Video Dailymotion. There are others on the web if you do a Google search.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is your DS from UK market or North American?
I'm asking because I wanted this option but my dealer told me last month that it wasn't available yet in Canada.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is your DS from UK market or North American?
I'm asking because I wanted this option but my dealer told me last month that it wasn't available yet in Canada.
Mine is US 2015 HSE Lux. I thought that AEB and Forward Alert are standard on ALL DS's, regardless of country? It's Adaptive Cruise Control that isn't widely available or available at all (I've heard it's a weight issue, but don't know for sure; maybe the extra radar for ACC makes the car too heavy).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Land Rover North America told me the reason for no adaptive cruise or blind spot was a software issue and they decided to omit them for safety. I am just concerned that I have neither or forward alert. My wife's Volvo has both. Her forward alert provides a visual control when she gets "too close" to the vehicle in front of her. I see no indication of how this works on the DS.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Land Rover North America told me the reason for no adaptive cruise or blind spot was a software issue and they decided to omit them for safety. I am just concerned that I have neither or forward alert. My wife's Volvo has both. Her forward alert provides a visual control when she gets "too close" to the vehicle in front of her. I see no indication of how this works on the DS.
Look in the setup menu (the button on the left side of the steering wheel and the dash center console menu listing). I can turn AEB and FA on/off through these menus. I'm pretty sure that all DS's have AEB and FA. I heard that ACC and BSM were supplier issues, so different stories are circulating (and I guess I mentioned I heard one about weight as well). I have BSM but not ACC. BSM is very useful. However, like you say, I believe they stopped providing it for a while and you can't order it just yet on the 2016s.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Been seeing a lot of questions like this pop up and it seems like that JLR can do a better job at informing its customers on the vehicles they own, whether that be on a dealership level or with some online information portal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Look in the setup menu (the button on the left side of the steering wheel and the dash center console menu listing). I can turn AEB and FA on/off through these menus. I'm pretty sure that all DS's have AEB and FA. I heard that ACC and BSM were supplier issues, so different stories are circulating (and I guess I mentioned I heard one about weight as well). I have BSM but not ACC. BSM is very useful. However, like you say, I believe they stopped providing it for a while and you can't order it just yet on the 2016s.
Not all DS have AEB. For the NA market, it is part of a paid option - "Driver Assist Package". If you don't see it under the console menu, then your DS does not have it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not all DS have AEB. For the NA market, it is part of a paid option - "Driver Assist Package". If you don't see it under the console menu, then your DS does not have it.
Oops. My bad. I thought they all had AEB as a safety feature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If we have Forward alert, and I'm not convinced we actually do even though it shows up in our menu, what type of feedback would we get if it was activated by "following too close"? My wife's Volvo XC60 displays 4 red dots on the windshield.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If we have Forward alert, and I'm not convinced we actually do even though it shows up in our menu, what type of feedback would we get if it was activated by "following too close"? My wife's Volvo XC60 displays 4 red dots on the windshield.
From what I read elsewhere, the dash starts flashing and making beeping noises. However, I've never seen this happen even though I've been too close to a rear end collision. I know I have the system because one night it wasn't working and I saw warnings about it in the dash display. When the car starts, there is a green triangle that appears in the dash display indicating that the system is initiating (at least that's my understanding, anyway).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information. My DS does none of this. I know that I have followed "too close" and there is no flashing, warning or otherwise even though the Forward Alert is "checked" in the menu tree. I will try to vet this out with my dealer when I take it back for the creak and squeak (chirp) in the back seats. It seems they rushed these to market.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This following is from the owner's handbook:
"Forward alert provides limited detection
and warning of objects close ahead while
the vehicle is moving forwards. If a vehicle
or object ahead is within the user defined
sensitivity area, a warning tone will sound
and the FORWARD ALERT message will
be displayed in the Message centre.
Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) will be
activated.................
The driver must take appropriate action
immediately.
Sensitivity of the function can be adjusted
only when ACC is disengaged. Adjust as
follows:
• Using the steering wheel ACC buttons,
press the gap decrease button to
display the current setting in the
Message centre and then press again
to decrease the sensitivity of the alert.
• Press the gap increase button to
display the current setting in the
Message centre and then press again
to increase the sensitivity of the alert.
FWD ALERT <----> is displayed in the
Message centre.
Note: The Forward alert set gap is
retained when the ignition is switched off."

What I am not sure is that most of the DS's don't have the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), so this part is questionable:
"Sensitivity of the function can be adjusted only when ACC is disengaged. Adjust as follows:
• Using the steering wheel ACC buttons,..........................."

For the DS that does not have ACC (like mine, and I do have the FWD Alert enabled), the steering wheel does NOT have the ACC buttons (only regular Cruise Control buttons), so how does this work? :(

I am going to try mess around the steering buttons on my DS next time and see if the handbook instructions are correct.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For the DS that does not have ACC (like mine, and I do have the FWD Alert enabled), the steering wheel does NOT have the ACC buttons (only regular Cruise Control buttons), so how does this work? :(

I am going to try mess around the steering buttons on my DS next time and see if the handbook instructions are correct.
This is why I commented earlier that FA with ACC might be different because you can set sensitivity (following distance). I read on another forum that what we have is not really Forward Alert, but Collision Avoidance, even though it's called FA in a DS without ACC. If you don't have ACC, there is no menu option that I have found that sets the distance for the FA or AEB. I, too, plan to ask the dealer about it when I have the DS in because I, too, think it should have triggered in several situations already since I've had the DS and it didn't. But, like I also commented, there are some on other forum (e.g., the UK forum) who have indicated it kicked in (in one situation, the driver didn't want it to kick in on a roundabout and felt that it took away control when he needed to accelerate).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all, let's keep this going and hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this. I do not have ACC but I can select FA and AEB. I called the dealer today and expect a call back tomorrow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So I played around with FA a bit this evening, and here is what I found:

1. When the ignition is turned on, the FA green lamp did turn on during the system test phase. The green lamp is on the top left corner, on the right side of the green "A" Intelligent Auto Stop/Start lamp.
2. I then tried all the different buttons on the right side of the steering wheel, unfortunately the only thing I could change was the Cruise Control and Speed Limiter. There was nothing for the FA (which requires ACC's two special buttons).

Based on this, I am guessing that Forward Alert indeed comes with AEB package. However, for the models without ACC, we cannot change its setting. The warning distance is set with a default. Again, this is purely a guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found the same thing. I have an appointment with the dealership next week and will press for details. What is the pre-set distance? What happens when we are within that distance? Or worse yet, does this feature even exist or is it an artifact from the original ACC offering that was omitted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I look forward to hearing from those who plan to have the conversation with their dealers. I'm beginning to think we were duped on this feature set. I have the Driver Assist Package. I do not have any steering wheel controls for setting/changing following distance. My feeling is at least the FA checkbox does nothing without having the actual ACC option and would include the necessary steering wheel controls.

The AEB is still a mystery to me. I've tried to test it within the limits of safety. No warnings.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I see the menu options on the dash LCD display as checked / turned on.

I tried to see if the alert and braking would intervene when I came up close to the rear of a car - nothing!

I think LR may have misquoted this feature as I have seen DS with ACC having a camera in the lower bumper front.

That bumper camera (ACC) plus the one in the rear view mirror area (Driver Assist +) does the distance calculations and offers the FA & AEB.

So I think mine with DA+ and without ACC means no bueno on FA & AEB.

Please let us know from the dealer service techs if that is the case ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts