Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 HSE Dynamic... in Santorini Black.

Where I park it, the California sun beats down on the drivers side. When I was still under bumper-to-bumper warranty, I had them replace the plastic cover where the mirror mounts to the body because it suddenly faded after a wash one day.

Now that I’m out of warranty, I noticed that piece has started to fade again, and the piece on the rear pillar next to the hatch has suddenly faded after a wash.

It’s like the glossy coating just gives up and washes away suddenly in one wash. Lame.

Anyone have any ideas on whether I should just replace these, or try to buff/polish them? Any guidance on how to get them off?

It’s blaring at me now, especially since I just got limo tint all around. Glossy everywhere, except those dull faded spots laughing at me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
627 Posts
I have used Ice by Turtle Wax to bring back the shine to plastic parts and rubber.
Neighbour bought a used Ford pickup and the bumper looked terrible. I used it and it brought back most of the shine.

Your panels do look almost beyond repair but there other products that advertise for trim. Have you tried a detailing shop, they work magic sometimes.

Years ago I had a Toyota with black bumpers, the manual said to use black shoe polish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the issue with these are they are actual body panels, painted with the same “santorini black” used on the metal. I’ve read a few things that say to try CarPro’s Xtreme Gloss for things that are actually painted.

Gonna give a try. Sucks, though. Surprised these pieces are only lasting 3 years. Lame.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, I used the carpro product and it works great. Only did a quick test run with a rag and I couldn’t believe the results.

I’ll try to get some pics after I’ve had a chance to properly buff it out with a pad attached to a drill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, the issue with these are they are actual body panels, painted with the same “santorini black” used on the metal. I’ve read a few things that say to try CarPro’s Xtreme Gloss for things that are actually painted.

Gonna give a try. Sucks, though. Surprised these pieces are only lasting 3 years. Lame.

Hi, My name is Mark Francis and I have 2018 Discovery that is doing the same thing. We are dealing with the dealer, but they are not being cooperative. Can you give us any suggestions as to how you were able to get this covered by the dealer in case we need it?

Thank you.
Mark Francis

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also live in Cal, but I haven't seen the similar issue at all. I park my car where there is no shade. But I do see some small faded spots on the plastic trim if I don't remove bird poops immediately. That makes me wonder that some chemical reactions could be the reason.

Could you tell me what kind of wash chemicals did you use?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, My name is Mark Francis and I have 2018 Discovery that is doing the same thing. We are dealing with the dealer, but they are not being cooperative. Can you give us any suggestions as to how you were able to get this covered by the dealer in case we need it?

Thank you.
Mark Francis
I didn’t deal with the dealer because I’m out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty that would cover those things.

I just used that product from CarPros that I linked to. It’s basically just a wax that restores those plastic pieces. Works well.

I was really just surprised the plastic hit that sudden drastic fade so quick.

Your other options would be to just have the car professionally detailed for a couple hundred bucks every 6mos or so, or buy new plastic pieces. I plan on getting mine detailed professionally soon, anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also live in Cal, but I haven't seen the similar issue at all. I park my car where there is no shade. But I do see some small faded spots on the plastic trim if I don't remove bird poops immediately. That makes me wonder that some chemical reactions could be the reason.

Could you tell me what kind of wash chemicals did you use?
I just used CarPro’s Xtreme Gloss to buff/polish the plastic pieces. Worked well, but I’m going to have the car detailed professionally, anyway. I really should be doing it at least once a year, anyway, as mentioned above by @AriVqz ;

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just used CarPro’s Xtreme Gloss to buff/polish the plastic pieces. Worked well, but I’m going to have the car detailed professionally, anyway. I really should be doing it at least once a year, anyway, as mentioned above by @AriVqz ;

Sorry for my bad question. I wanted to ask the wash chemical (not CarPro) you originally used before the fade issue happened. You mentioned that the fade suddenly came up after a wash. So I was wondering what wash chemical could have faded the trim.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for my bad question. I wanted to ask the wash chemical (not CarPro) you originally used before the fade issue happened. You mentioned that the fade suddenly came up after a wash. So I was wondering what wash chemical could have faded the trim.
Ah, gotcha.. No idea, because it was at a car wash place. I’ve been going there for quite a few years (with other cars also) and never had an issue, which makes me believe it was just the plastic and not the chemicals. I’ve noticed that all the plastic that is fading is on my driver’s side, which is the side that faces the sun in my driveway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ah, gotcha.. No idea, because it was at a car wash place. I’ve been going there for quite a few years (with other cars also) and never had an issue, which makes me believe it was just the plastic and not the chemicals. I’ve noticed that all the plastic that is fading is on my driver’s side, which is the side that faces the sun in my driveway.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't drive much than before due to Covid so my car is exposed to the same direct sun light everyday. My solution was putting a car cover. It is ugly but it protects from UV and bird poops. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts