Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 HSE Dynamic... in Santorini Black.

Where I park it, the California sun beats down on the drivers side. When I was still under bumper-to-bumper warranty, I had them replace the plastic cover where the mirror mounts to the body because it suddenly faded after a wash one day.

Now that I’m out of warranty, I noticed that piece has started to fade again, and the piece on the rear pillar next to the hatch has suddenly faded after a wash.

It’s like the glossy coating just gives up and washes away suddenly in one wash. Lame.

Anyone have any ideas on whether I should just replace these, or try to buff/polish them? Any guidance on how to get them off?

It’s blaring at me now, especially since I just got limo tint all around. Glossy everywhere, except those dull faded spots laughing at me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
515 Posts
I have used Ice by Turtle Wax to bring back the shine to plastic parts and rubber.
Neighbour bought a used Ford pickup and the bumper looked terrible. I used it and it brought back most of the shine.

Your panels do look almost beyond repair but there other products that advertise for trim. Have you tried a detailing shop, they work magic sometimes.

Years ago I had a Toyota with black bumpers, the manual said to use black shoe polish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the issue with these are they are actual body panels, painted with the same “santorini black” used on the metal. I’ve read a few things that say to try CarPro’s Xtreme Gloss for things that are actually painted.

Gonna give a try. Sucks, though. Surprised these pieces are only lasting 3 years. Lame.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same fade issues. I get my car detailed professionally at least once a year. They can buff that out, but it will fade again over time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, I used the carpro product and it works great. Only did a quick test run with a rag and I couldn’t believe the results.

I’ll try to get some pics after I’ve had a chance to properly buff it out with a pad attached to a drill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts