Discovery Sport Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just posted this for the same issue on another thread that was talking about Carbon Monoxide (CO) which is odorless. In this thread where you can actually smell something I would go to solution #2 below. What you are smelling might be Hydrocarbons (HC), or Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). All these gasses are very dangerous if coming into the cab of the vehicle.

I have 2 ideas that may help. 1. Home Depot sells a battery operated Carbon Monoxide detector that has a digital display. One of them is made by kidde, they have a 2 pack for $40.00. They have other brands to choose from with the display as well. You can find them on their website or in the store.

I do not have this problem with my Discovery Sport I just bought the detector for the house. When a vehicle is fist started with a cold engine that is when emissions are the highest out of the tail pipe because the catalytic converter is not yet hot enough to burn up the unused gases. I tested this device by placing it near the exhaust pipe when I started up the cold engine and it did read and display a high CO (carbon monoxide) reading. As the engine and emission components warmed up the CO reading went to zero.

2. You could also bring your DS to an independent repair shop that has an automotive grade emissions analyzer. (Instead of LR who may be trying to protect themselves from a buy back situation. It is also possible they do not have an emissions analyzer as they are very expensive and require maintenance). If you live in California I can help you find a shop that has one.

With the Home Depot unit, or the automotive grade analyzer you could take photos or live video of the event and bring it to LR to help settle your case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this in my RR Evoque. It turned out to be a leaking gasket. On the Evoque it was quite a job to fix the gasket, had to remove some other stuff to get to it and the local Land Rover dealer quoted me over $3,000 to fix the gasket. I contacted Land Rover (USA) and they agreed to cover the cost, my warranty expired 3 weeks earlier! Really grateful to the guys - and also why I ended up buying another Land Rover when the time came around this year! The gasket fix immediately stopped the smell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I know I updating an old post but my LRDS 2017 had the same issue of leaking exhaust to turbo gasket. This is fully known by Land Rover and it was due to outsourcing of the manufacturing of the parts. A new exhaust catalyst pipe to Turbo is required, this was £900 on the job sheet. You can tell it is leaking because the inside of the turbo shield is covered in carbon. Very easy to remove this shield with only a couple of screws. Turbo is mounted at back of engine at just under bonnet at the back. so a 5 minute job just to check it is leaking.

Neil - Burgess Hill, England, UK

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is extremely useful info! Thanks for this. I’m actually taking my DS back into the dealer this week because I’ve been trying to get them to fix a “whistling/whining” noise I’ve been hearing since January. I keep telling them I think it’s the turbo, because the sound only pops up when I get the RPM over 4-5k and it seems to only happen when the air is humid and cool outside. I’ve also been smelling this exhaust odor since day one.

The dealer replaced the VVT unit. Still whistled.
They replaced the VVT solenoid. Still whistles.
So this week I’m going to take it back and show them this post, because there may be a link to a leak and this whistle I’m hearing.

I’ll try to post a video I took of the whistling sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is extremely useful info! Thanks for this. I’m actually taking my DS back into the dealer this week because I’ve been trying to get them to fix a “whistling/whining” noise I’ve been hearing since January. I keep telling them I think it’s the turbo, because the sound only pops up when I get the RPM over 4-5k and it seems to only happen when the air is humid and cool outside. I’ve also been smelling this exhaust odor since day one.

The dealer replaced the VVT unit. Still whistled.
They replaced the VVT solenoid. Still whistles.
So this week I’m going to take it back and show them this post, because there may be a link to a leak and this whistle I’m hearing.

I’ll try to post a video I took of the whistling sound.

Here’s the video I took recently with the windows open. The sound was especially loud because of some buildings nearby bouncing it back at me. Would love to know if anyone has had this.

I have the 286hp engine, btw.

Doh... never mind... apparently I can’t post links yet because I haven’t made enough posts yet.
DM if you’d like the link to the video.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like I can finally post links..

Since this video was taken, they found a tear in the turbo intake boot and replaced it.

Worked well for about a week, then it started doing it again. I haven’t had the time to take it back in, but I’m assuming the boot tore again, or it’s a combination of some things. Maybe there’s something in there hitting it and causing the tear?

Also, as I’ve mentioned, it seems to be doing it more either earlier in the morning or later in the evening/at night, when the air is cooler and more humid. Denser air = more whistling.
Airflow. Turbo.
Sigh.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just taken my 2016 Disco Sport in for this fume issue, although there was also a fine grey/blue smoke coming from the vents too. Turns out it's a major fault and needs the catalytic converter replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Took my disco back in to have them look for the fix for the whistling again. They pushed it all the way up to LR corporate, who told them to replace the muffler (silencer for all the non-US readers). I’m not convinced it’s the muffler, but whatever. At least I’m racking the miles up on a loaner instead of my car.

On a side note.. my loaner is a brand new 2020 Evoque, and with the AC off and heat on... I smell the exhaust when I start the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Took my disco back in to have them look for the fix for the whistling again. They pushed it all the way up to LR corporate, who told them to replace the muffler (silencer for all the non-US readers). I’m not convinced it’s the muffler, but whatever. At least I’m racking the miles up on a loaner instead of my car.

On a side note.. my loaner is a brand new 2020 Evoque, and with the AC off and heat on... I smell the exhaust when I start the car.

Just a follow up... they replaced the entire muffler & exhaust system... no more whistle!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2016 HSE LUX. Gas engine. I notice the exhaust smell while sitting at idle for an extended period. Like when pulled over to talk on the phone with the engine on, or stuck in stopped traffic. Since I own a California smog inspection station I went to my shop and recreated the scene where the exhaust smell occurs in the car cabin just sitting at idle. All doors and windows closed, I put the tail pipe sniffer inside the car to read any Carbon Monoxide, Hydrocarbons, NOx. Even though I could smell that smell there was no reading at all on the test equipment. All were reading 0 except 02 at 21% which is normal. So I now know it is not CO, HC, or NOx that I smell. I now think it could be some sort of gasket adhesive or something like that? Has anyone had a successful repair that eliminated the smell?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - I have a 2014 LR2 i4 2.0L turbo - same / similar to one of the engines used in the DS - at approx 40k miles (5 years old) the car had exhaust fumes in the cabin. On investigation these fumes were found to be associated with a cracked turbo housing - fumes were transmitted into the cabin air 'inlet' located closeby. There was no noticeable reduction in performance and the turbo was spinning without issue. The fumes could be eliminated when travelling at moderate speed (30 or 40 mph) but when the vehicle was stationary the fumes were overpowering. In the end the turbo / exhaust manifold unit was replaced & the problem was solved.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts