Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is extremely useful info! Thanks for this. I’m actually taking my DS back into the dealer this week because I’ve been trying to get them to fix a “whistling/whining” noise I’ve been hearing since January. I keep telling them I think it’s the turbo, because the sound only pops up when I get the RPM over 4-5k and it seems to only happen when the air is humid and cool outside. I’ve also been smelling this exhaust odor since day one.

The dealer replaced the VVT unit. Still whistled.
They replaced the VVT solenoid. Still whistles.
So this week I’m going to take it back and show them this post, because there may be a link to a leak and this whistle I’m hearing.

I’ll try to post a video I took of the whistling sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is extremely useful info! Thanks for this. I’m actually taking my DS back into the dealer this week because I’ve been trying to get them to fix a “whistling/whining” noise I’ve been hearing since January. I keep telling them I think it’s the turbo, because the sound only pops up when I get the RPM over 4-5k and it seems to only happen when the air is humid and cool outside. I’ve also been smelling this exhaust odor since day one.

The dealer replaced the VVT unit. Still whistled.
They replaced the VVT solenoid. Still whistles.
So this week I’m going to take it back and show them this post, because there may be a link to a leak and this whistle I’m hearing.

I’ll try to post a video I took of the whistling sound.

Here’s the video I took recently with the windows open. The sound was especially loud because of some buildings nearby bouncing it back at me. Would love to know if anyone has had this.

I have the 286hp engine, btw.

Doh... never mind... apparently I can’t post links yet because I haven’t made enough posts yet.
DM if you’d like the link to the video.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks like I can finally post links..

Since this video was taken, they found a tear in the turbo intake boot and replaced it.

Worked well for about a week, then it started doing it again. I haven’t had the time to take it back in, but I’m assuming the boot tore again, or it’s a combination of some things. Maybe there’s something in there hitting it and causing the tear?

Also, as I’ve mentioned, it seems to be doing it more either earlier in the morning or later in the evening/at night, when the air is cooler and more humid. Denser air = more whistling.
Airflow. Turbo.
Sigh.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Took my disco back in to have them look for the fix for the whistling again. They pushed it all the way up to LR corporate, who told them to replace the muffler (silencer for all the non-US readers). I’m not convinced it’s the muffler, but whatever. At least I’m racking the miles up on a loaner instead of my car.

On a side note.. my loaner is a brand new 2020 Evoque, and with the AC off and heat on... I smell the exhaust when I start the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Took my disco back in to have them look for the fix for the whistling again. They pushed it all the way up to LR corporate, who told them to replace the muffler (silencer for all the non-US readers). I’m not convinced it’s the muffler, but whatever. At least I’m racking the miles up on a loaner instead of my car.

On a side note.. my loaner is a brand new 2020 Evoque, and with the AC off and heat on... I smell the exhaust when I start the car.

Just a follow up... they replaced the entire muffler & exhaust system... no more whistle!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts