Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, writing to ask a bit of help here.
So much for the background that the car is 2016 model 4x4 with 2.0 diesel110Kw engine.
I live in a place with fluctuating temperatures, just a few days ago we had -25 degrees Celsius.
The problem I am facing is even after driving a long way (100+ km or 60+ miles) the engine temperature stays in the blue or slightly above and this is a new problem I am facing. It now does this even if it's just 0 degrees Celsius outside.
It blows warm air and the car insides (where passengers are) gets warm. So far I am guessing the problem is with coolant thermostat valve but I am eager to hear out ideas and suggestions.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
654 Posts
I believe that all Diesel models have an aux electric heater so that may be why you are getting heat. Is the engine fan running all the time? Also the Diesel models have a special coolant pump that also may be the problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thermostat stuck open is usually the culprit on most cars. You'll probably want to verify the coolant temp sensor is reporting accurately but if you have even a cheap OBDII scan tool that's easy to do. Another clue you can look for is with the scan tool plugged in and going from a cold start, drive it and monitor the coolant temp. It should reach operating temp within about 5 miles of driving. If it comes up very slowly and takes more than about 5 minutes to get up to its max temp, that points to a thermostat stuck open. Also, once it's warmed up as much as it will, sit and idle for a few minutes. If the temp goes down, that's another clue although diesels sometimes have trouble maintaining coolant temp at idle in really cold weather it still shouldn't drop quickly at like 0 degrees C.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts