Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everybody,
My Disco Sport started showing the oil pressure light ON for a while - like 10 to 20 secs - at starting in the morning since the beginning of this winter, mainly when the temperatures overnight were under -20 degrees celcius (the vehicle stays outside).
I have the impression that that light was always showing up like for a second max at starting since I've got it in 2016, so when I saw it on that long the first time I contacted my dealership and their advice was that as it was only happening at those very low temps, they wouldn’t worry about too much and we should wait until the next service that was due in February (this was like in November).
Long story short, the engine end up blocking 2 days before the end of the vehicle’s warranty, and Land Rover replaced the engine (at no cost for me).
The new engine starts perfectly and the vehicle shows a a little more sporty (more aggressive throttle) which is not bad in itself, but I guess it’s matter of getting used to it. The other difference I noticed is that the engine oil pressure light doesn’t lit up at all now and wonder if they might forgot to plug back in the oil pressure sensor or if simply it wasn’t supposed to lit up at all from the beginning and this was a manufacturing issue.
I would also appreciate your advice/opinion regarding the concern that I now have in the back of my mind about the fact that the new engine comes with a 1year/unlimited km warranty. So I wonder what if this happen again in two or three years. My plan has been to keep it for another 3-4 years, as I drive very little (average of 11000 kilometres/year) and for the rest the vehicle is in perfect shape.
Thank you very much for your insight.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My oil light shows when the car does it's light check prior to starting, but It has never come on after the engine starts. The oil pressure will have built up enough almost immediately upon staring so the light will not come on. This is the same as all my cars except an much older 1954 Pontiac when the temperature was below zero Fahrenheit ( long time since used) or below 17 C. No mutiwieght oil back in the day. :( And no I did not buy the Pontiac new! It is a standard Ford engine and there are no reports of trouble with the engine so I would not worry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My oil light shows when the car does it's light check prior to starting, but It has never come on after the engine starts. The oil pressure will have built up enough almost immediately upon staring so the light will not come on. This is the same as all my cars except an much older 1954 Pontiac when the temperature was below zero Fahrenheit ( long time since used) or below 17 C. No mutiwieght oil back in the day. :( And no I did not buy the Pontiac new! It is a standard Ford engine and there are no reports of trouble with the engine so I would not worry.
Thanks so much for your reply Bill. I’ll be paying attention to see if light check prior to starting is actually happening (press the start button without pressing the brake pedal, right?). Because as you say I think it’s not doing it at all since I’ve got it back from the dealership.
Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts