Discovery Sport Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
This just happened to me as well on my 2016 Disco Sport with 59K. The car just had it's 60k service and there was no mention of this. I am still waiting to hear if LR is going to cover the new 11k+ engine. I see forums where people speak of this often. Loved the car and no issues until now.....we will see how the customer service portion pans out.
Have you had a resolution to the problem? From Landrover? I'm just starting the process. 2016 Disco Sport with 58k. Serviced up to date and always within date/mileage. I've been told it has a 'con rod' problem - estimated repair costs £16,500. I am disgusted that Landrover have not taken more notice and these regular failings - the engine is simply not fit for purpose. I'll update if and when I hear back from Landrover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you had a resolution to the problem? From Landrover? I'm just starting the process. 2016 Disco Sport with 58k. Serviced up to date and always within date/mileage. I've been told it has a 'con rod' problem - estimated repair costs £16,500. I am disgusted that Landrover have not taken more notice and these regular failings - the engine is simply not fit for purpose. I'll update if and when I hear back from Landrover.
please let me know the latest and any advice thanks
Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear about all of these troubles. Question for those familiar - are these timing chain issues all related to diesel engines or are the gasoline engines affected too? It's hard for me to tell from those that said they have the issue. I was about to pull the trigger on a used 2017-18 gasoline disco sport in the US and this has me worried.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear about all of these troubles. Question for those familiar - are these timing chain issues all related to diesel engines or are the gasoline engines affected too? It's hard for me to tell from those that said they have the issue. I was about to pull the trigger on a used 2017-18 gasoline disco sport in the US and this has me worried.
I haven't updated this forum just yet as I'm still in the middle of 'discussions' with Landrover, but my car has now been assessed by a Landrover retailer and they have said it is NOT the engine at fault......... They have diagnosed the turbo and intercooler as faulty. I am awaiting costings for the repair, but hoping it won't be anything like the £16k estimated by my local garage. At this point in time I have been happy with the communication I've had from Landrover - they have said they will make a percentage contribution to the repair as a 5 year old vehicle should not have these problems - I'm yet to hear on the financials so I'll update more once I have finalised the details. BUT if Landrover are correct (as experts in their field I would hope this is the case), then my local garage have misdiagnosed - it cost me £500 just for the diagnosis and I feel like going back to them about it, but in the scheme of things I'll just be happy to have a cheaper overall repair bill!!!! I love the handling of the car, and I am only short in height, but driving a big car is made all the easier with its manoeuvrability (is there such a word???!!!). I will be nervous to drive my car once repaired, but I'm hoping my nerves decrease in time if the car keeps going!!!

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
752 Posts
Naturally there have been problems with the gas model ( including the ford engine) but it seems that the Diesel engines are more prone to failure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ours is diesel. Look at the mileage - this is key and maybe if you do get it change the cam chain and risky parts asap - this may effectively solve the risk, not sure. This would cost far less than waiting til it collapses. Our Repair garage has promised to provide all the paperwork proving that 1) the parts have a massive delay from Land rover (not normal apparently) and backorder due to so many cars needing them for repair. 2) when you get the replacement parts they are different codes/numbers to the originals as they have all been replaced/upgraded with different ones due to the problems. Not sure if this helps but we have been advised to write to the CEO after to see if they will accept any responsibility about this. It's clear they know they have a problem. They should have recalled. I will let you all know what happens. Personally we would never buy JLR again and have ordered a Tesla!

If I was you, I would at least get the exact date of when they changed the design/parts- please share if you do. I think it was 2017/2018.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This just happened to me as well on my 2016 Disco Sport with 59K. The car just had it's 60k service and there was no mention of this. I am still waiting to hear if LR is going to cover the new 11k+ engine. I see forums where people speak of this often. Loved the car and no issues until now.....we will see how the customer service portion pans out.
how did this go please with LR?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2016 Disco Sport randomly shut down on the highway going 70mph. We were told that the timing chain skipped causing the pistons to collide, break, and set off a catastrophic chain of events. Our local Land Rover told us that the car would require a new engine between $14k - $16k. The case has been turned over to LR National who is just giving us the runaround while we wait to see what/if any options we have. Of note, my car only has 28k miles on it but has aged out of the standard warranty. I have contacted the law firm who brought a class action against LR for timing chain defects for 2012 and 2014 models.
any news on the legal case?

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
752 Posts
I have heard that LandRover has picked up some costs for owners, but they probably raised the price beforehand.

The lawsuit is for older models and Rachel was driving a 2016 with a Ford gas engine.

I owned an Audi that the timing belt slipped damaging all the valves, repaired without an engine replacement.

Then I also owned a SAAB that also had same problem, also just repaired the head.

Dealers do not like to repair items they are replace only. Try to find a mechanic and not a technician if you want work done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys just joined after my 2016 disco luxury just blew up. Critical light came on, pulled up within 200 yards checked oil and it was ok got a tow home and replaced oil with new starts it up cuts out dead will not start Landy man says new engine needed always serviced swap oil every 12 months oil swapped July 21 when the light came on checked oil and was on high swapped anyway started up all over in a split second
i have not got the money for a new engine specially when they say the car now is only worth 22-24 grand in good working condition
anybody got any suggestions or support

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regular oil changes are important. It's a lot cheaper to change oil than to buy an engine for £5000. I nearly always change my oil twice a year regardless of mileage. Stretched chains normally cause poor running due to timing issues and should normally be noticed before the engine expires.
Please tell
where can you get a engine for £5000 my quotes 13500 to 19000

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it a Diesel? My 2017 Jaguar Diesel chain snapped while driving down the highway @85K miles. I am looking at a class action law suite by the attorney's would like at least one other person. Anyone with a Jaguar Diesel have the same issue?
2017 Discovery Sport. 61,000 miles. timing chain snapped..!! I'm very worried. let me know what i can do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Serviced regularly by main dealer. No noticeable noise before the chain went. Ingenium engine clearly has timing chain problem - see class action lawsuit against Jaguar.

my chain has also broken, Regularly serviced Discovery Sport 2017 Diesel

·
Registered
4 Posts
When this happened to me the service advisor slipped and said it happens alot! They are supposed to be checking the chain on the 60,000 mile check up but as I learnwd the hard way..u have to ask for it!
where did you hear about them needing to check the chain at the 63,000 miles service. mine just snapped at 62,000 Miles. This wasnt mentioned to me at my 42,000 Miles Service

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Brendan so sorry to hear - you are one of many of us suffering from with exactly the same design fault. ours was 5 years old, 70,000 miles and fully serviced but out of warranty.

You can see pages of cases described exactly the same here.

Ours took 5 months to get fixed last year as LR ran out of the new revised parts - as it’s so common a repair, but nightmare!

Fascinatingly, I even rang inchcape Guildford garage saying I wanted to buy A Disco but after the date that “the LR redesign had taken place, the one to address the common cam chain fault that affected earlier models” - and asked what the exact date change was?

Without hesitation, Inchcape recognised the issue immediately and told me I’d have to buy one with 2018 model onwards but even then some could be the old design if they had been delayed to be registered - so I couldn’t be sure - but he’d help me.

So yes it’s a well known fact.

and … No you don’t have to blame yourself for any lack of cam chain change nor for not carrying with you a can of oil everywhere. 🤣🤣.

Our warning light came on as the engine stopped on the French motorway, only 1000 miles after the oil was changed and we’d checked the oil level the day before (knowing it’s all a potential disaster!!). There is no burning nor leaking oil.

Class action would be good in uk - anyone do contact us if interested. We have no idea how we will get out of this living nightmare of a broken car…

·
Registered
20 Posts
where did you hear about them needing to check the chain at the 63,000 miles service. mine just snapped at 62,000 Miles. This wasnt mentioned to me at my 42,000 Miles Service
Brendan, personally I would go to a Land Rover garage to get them to do the most comprehensive repair they can - eg probably new engine - but then negotiate /or sue if they don’t take on responsibility at least in significant share of the cost. I’d hope that would be quicker and best - or maybe just get the best deal to sell it to them and move on.

I hope all prospective LR Disco buyers read this and don’t buy one - unless it’s 2019 onwards (if risk JLR at all) - good luck, and most of all, keep safe. It’s only a car, after all.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.