Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My engine blew at 84,000 for the same timing chain. Dealer and LR were no help. They said it's passed warranty. Had to replace the engine. One of the worse cars I have ever owned. Going back to Audi and Japanese cars. This company does not stand by their cars.
This just happened to me as well on my 2016 Disco Sport with 59K. The car just had it's 60k service and there was no mention of this. I am still waiting to hear if LR is going to cover the new 11k+ engine. I see forums where people speak of this often. Loved the car and no issues until now.....we will see how the customer service portion pans out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 Disco Sport timing chain also broke. Mine snapped at 104K miles, which was just outside of the 100K extended warranty that I purchased when I bought the car. I contacted Land Rover and they said it could take several months to get a resolution. I had my trusted mechanic locate a good Evoque engine with 35K on it for $8,250 including pulling the old engine and fully installing the replacement one. I contacted Land Rover again and sent them the photos of the engine, broken timing chain, VIN, etc. After about 3-months they said Land Rover would pay $8,200 toward a new engine installed from a LR dealership. Total cost would be $26K with an $8.2K credit which would be $16K out of pocket for me. I told them no way and I would be looking at alternatives for reimbursement from them.

About 3-weeks after my engine replacement, my mechanic had another customer report a broken Disco Sport timing chain. Obviously the vehicles are cheaply built and they skimp on components anywhere they can to make a profit. Anyone have any suggestions on my next step? Thanks!
My 2016 Disco Sport randomly shut down on the highway going 70mph. We were told that the timing chain skipped causing the pistons to collide, break, and set off a catastrophic chain of events. Our local Land Rover told us that the car would require a new engine between $14k - $16k. The case has been turned over to LR National who is just giving us the runaround while we wait to see what/if any options we have. Of note, my car only has 28k miles on it but has aged out of the standard warranty. I have contacted the law firm who brought a class action against LR for timing chain defects for 2012 and 2014 models.

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
562 Posts
Interesting that the law suit involving 5 liter V-8 engines ( I believe engines blocks supplied by BMW) would have anything to do with a 2 liter Ford supplied engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2016 Disco Sport randomly shut down on the highway going 70mph. We were told that the timing chain skipped causing the pistons to collide, break, and set off a catastrophic chain of events. Our local Land Rover told us that the car would require a new engine between $14k - $16k. The case has been turned over to LR National who is just giving us the runaround while we wait to see what/if any options we have. Of note, my car only has 28k miles on it but has aged out of the standard warranty. I have contacted the law firm who brought a class action against LR for timing chain defects for 2012 and 2014 models.
Rachel, can you please provide me the information to the law firm that is handling this class action suit. I would like to join it. I will send you a private message with my contact information. Thanks, Paul.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was driving at 40km/hour when I my engine cut, I pulled over and called assistance who took my Landrover Discovery Sport TD to the Landrover garage.
They tell me the timing belt broke and destroyed the engine and have quoted me €16 624 to repair it. The car is 5 years old with 136 848 km on the clock.
I had no warnings the car just stopped. I am not a car expert but I follow the car warning lights and get the car serviced by Landrover.
Does anyone have any advice about what I should do?

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Curious, report that you are from the US yet give quote in € euros and distance in Kilometers

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened to me as well on my 2016 Disco Sport with 59K. The car just had it's 60k service and there was no mention of this. I am still waiting to hear if LR is going to cover the new 11k+ engine. I see forums where people speak of this often. Loved the car and no issues until now.....we will see how the customer service portion pans out.
By chance have you heard back from LR about what they are willing to contribute towards a new engine? I've been waiting for 9 weeks and it's radio silence.

·
Registered
HSE auto 2.0 ingenium with optional broken timing chain
3 Posts
Mine too. 2.0 ingenium 4.5 years old, 100k miles. Dealer admitted that recon engine will have the modified timing chain assembly fitted.
Full service history. JLR offered just 40% contribution to the £11,500 repair cost for a known problem.
Should certainly make buyers of 5 year old disco sports a little nervous.
The final kick in the teeth is that as I have lost faith in the brand and intend to sell it as soon as repaired, the warranty on the replacement engine is NOT transferable. This is U.K. so may be different elsewhere.
My first and last Landrover I’m afraid

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took my 2016 HSE into a local dealer to look at a P0341 diagnostic code (Camshaft Position Senor) and they are saying they need to replace the timing chain, I thought these chains are supposed to last the lifetime of the engine!! I'm arguing this as surely with less then 50 000 miles on the clock this isn't right?

·
Registered
HSE auto 2.0 ingenium with optional broken timing chain
3 Posts
I just took my 2016 HSE into a local dealer to look at a P0341 diagnostic code (Camshaft Position Senor) and they are saying they need to replace the timing chain, I thought these chains are supposed to last the lifetime of the engine!! I'm arguing this as surely with less then 50 000 miles on the clock this isn't right?
It seems not. They stretch. JLR know this else they wouldn’t have produced modified parts. Just hope that the damage to the engine hasn’t already occurred as has happened to some with the same code.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
If they are working on the engine the extra cost to change the chain is probably a good thing as there will be little extra labour costs involved. All chains stretch .

But I would go to a second garage and have a second opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ours too, Disco Sport Lux HSE - though more mileage done, just under 100k - and 4 years old. Timing chain broke while driving in traffic, no warning - now needs new engine. Waiting to hear what LR will say as it’s out of warranty. Honestly, the car has been a nightmare - been in the garage for weeks and weeks in the past two years. Constant problems.
My disco sport 2017 hse 2.0 diesel has just done exactly the same.
100 thousand miles and running lovely all of a sudden sat at lights the engine was stopped with foot on brake, when I lifted my foot off brake and the engine started again it had a rattle. So I took it to JLR for a diagnosis they came back to me the same day with the timing chain, I was shocked but they booked it in for two weeks later and sent me on my way.
One week after that I was driving home with the missus and it just stopped running, no bangs or rattles or anything just stopped.
So I got the AA to recover it to JLR in Stockport where it was booked in for a week later. They told me they would investigate it and said they will speak to Landrover Uk to see if they will repair it in good will as there isn’t a service interval for the timing chain on that engine.
They came back to me with a decline from Landrover Uk and to stick the boot in told me it needed a new engine at the cost of £9500 to £11000.
The car is still with Landrover and nothing been done I am waiting for another report to see if it can be repaired or not so I’m still without a car what I still owe £16500 on finance and keeping the payments up and struggling as I can’t go to work now .
Does anybody out there have an idea of what to do next as I m stuck and don’t know what to do there seems a lot of these timing chains failing on the ingenium engines they should make it a recall
Thanks for listening
Dave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it a Diesel? My 2017 Jaguar Diesel chain snapped while driving down the highway @85K miles. I am looking at a class action law suite by the attorney's would like at least one other person. Anyone with a Jaguar Diesel have the same issue?
thhats nothing my XE 20d at 102k km has burned crankshaft, and everything is K.O expect Pistons

21 - 33 of 33 Posts