Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My disco sport fully maintained by Land Rover just packed up at 60 mph and came to a halt stuck in drIve and had to be recovered By Land Rover assistance. Still technically under warranty-but Land Rover local garage need to strip engine first to fully diagnose problem but are saying new engine needed As timing chain seems to have snapped.Am most unhappy and without car.
what do you all think and any one else suffered this
thnaks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't think I've ever heard of a chain breaking...you may just be unlucky with this, possibly a faulty chain. You would normally get rattling if the chain or guides were wearing badly. Certainly shouldn't be an issue on a vehicle with low miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LR agreed anew engine as bores beyond repair together with the other issues, I agree very unusual as I have had two previous LR’s doing over 100,000 miles in each with no troubles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My disco sport fully maintained by Land Rover just packed up at 60 mph and came to a halt stuck in drIve and had to be recovered By Land Rover assistance. Still technically under warranty-but Land Rover local garage need to strip engine first to fully diagnose problem but are saying new engine needed As timing chain seems to have snapped.Am most unhappy and without car.
what do you all think and any one else suffered this
thnaks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ours too, Disco Sport Lux HSE - though more mileage done, just under 100k - and 4 years old. Timing chain broke while driving in traffic, no warning - now needs new engine. Waiting to hear what LR will say as it’s out of warranty. Honestly, the car has been a nightmare - been in the garage for weeks and weeks in the past two years. Constant problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ours too, Disco Sport Lux HSE - though more mileage done, just under 100k - and 4 years old. Timing chain broke while driving in traffic, no warning - now needs new engine. Waiting to hear what LR will say as it’s out of warranty. Honestly, the car has been a nightmare - been in the garage for weeks and weeks in the past two years. Constant problems.
Most issues are due to poor servicing. I nearly always change my oil twice a year regardless of mileage. There is usually noise from chains before they give trouble and it’s unusual for them to break anyway so I think you’re both unlucky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't think I've ever heard of a chain breaking...you may just be unlucky with this, possibly a faulty chain. You would normally get rattling if the chain or guides were wearing badly. Certainly shouldn't be an issue on a vehicle with low miles.
Most issues are due to poor servicing. I nearly always change my oil twice a year regardless of mileage. There is usually noise from chains before they give trouble and it’s unusual for them to break anyway so I think you’re both unlucky.
Serviced regularly by main dealer. No noticeable noise before the chain went. Ingenium engine clearly has timing chain problem - see class action lawsuit against Jaguar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Serviced regularly by main dealer. No noticeable noise before the chain went. Ingenium engine clearly has timing chain problem - see class action lawsuit against Jaguar.

The stated service intervals are generally thought to be too long. The engine needs oil changes at 5-8000 miles. I think the quoted interval is 16000 miles. There have been issues with oil dilution, but I’m pretty sure these have been sorted by JLR and mostly affect 2016MY (only going on what I’ve read however). Mines a 2017MY. I haven’t had any issues with mine as yet, but I always change my own oil twice a year...I only do about 7-8000 miles per year normally anyway. I’m unsure if the dealers use the correct oil also, as on a recent invoice I noticed that the oil was just stated as “shop oil” or similar which makes you wonder if it’s just any old oil. This wasn’t at a Land Rover dealer I have to say, so may not be the case with Land Rover. These very thin oils worry me as they may be good for economy, but not so good for engine life! Looking at that link which mentions stretched chains, I’m pretty sure a stretched chain would cause timing issues and bad running so it should be picked up before the engine explodes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The stated service intervals are generally thought to be too long. The engine needs oil changes at 5-8000 miles. I think the quoted interval is 16000 miles. There have been issues with oil dilution, but I’m pretty sure these have been sorted by JLR and mostly affect 2016MY (only going on what I’ve read however). Mines a 2017MY. I haven’t had any issues with mine as yet, but I always change my own oil twice a year...I only do about 7-8000 miles per year normally anyway. I’m unsure if the dealers use the correct oil also, as on a recent invoice I noticed that the oil was just stated as “shop oil” or similar which makes you wonder if it’s just any old oil. This wasn’t at a Land Rover dealer I have to say, so may not be the case with Land Rover. These very thin oils worry me as they may be good for economy, but not so good for engine life! Looking at that link which mentions stretched chains, I’m pretty sure a stretched chain would cause timing issues and bad running so it should be picked up before the engine explodes.
Potential buyers should just know that they may get less than five years/100,000miles on a £48,000 car - and mo
Potential buyers should just know that they may get less than 5 years/100,000 miles for their £48,000 investment - on top of spending many months in replacement vehicles while their car is being worked on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts