Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
46 Posts
You’ve got to go out of your way to buy a bad vehicle these days.

This is because automakers have improved their products so spectacularly in recent decades. Even so, they all can’t be winners; there are still a few clunkers lurking in the shadows, cars and trucks you’d best sidestep like a goose turd on a golf green.

Our friends at Consumer Reports have compiled a list of 10 vehicles that should be avoided, no matter how attractive their styling or deeply they’ve been discounted. Each of these models is the lowest rated in its respective segment, from subcompact cars and electric vehicles to pickup trucks and luxury SUVs.

It’s important to note these ratings are based on several important factors, including a vehicle’s overall road test score, its owner satisfaction rating, safety score and, of course, the thing Consumer Reports is most famous for, reliability estimates. With that boilerplate out of the way, make sure to watch the embedded video to learn about the 10 worst new vehicles available in 2017.

Read more about the 10 Worst Cars of 2017: The Short List at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
588 Posts
for a guy who just bought this car 2 weeks ago, its pretty upsetting to watch. This is bullshit i love this car
CR is not something I take credibility with. CR has fallen of by the side many years ago when I noticed lot of bias towards companies that pay them...

I love my Discovery Sport and that's from a person who has had 4 BMWs prior!:eek:
Every time I drive my DS, I smile -> :D

I think CR and AutoGuide.com are smoking that green stuff lately ....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I disagree with you guys. I think CR is one of the few remaining bastions of neutrality when it comes to consumer advice. Most others are completely corporate controlled or influenced. JD Powers is a joke. CR doesn't always get it right and I sometimes disagree with them, but I would never wonder if they're partial or biased.

CR uses a certain methodology, they look for certain features (look at the Tesla AEB debacle lately) and score a certain way that reduce bias and make all their reviews fully comparable. I understand why they give that score to the DS. Let's all be frank here, the DS doesn't handle or respond like an X3, it doesn't have the cargo room of a Rav4, it doesn't have the seats of an XC60 and it doesn't have the fit and finish of a GLC. I still wouldn't have bought any of those cars, even though, objectively speaking, all of them excel over the DS in certain areas.

I love the overall package that the DS provides. I love the design, the controls and the interior room - I wouldn't trade it for any other car right now. However, I'm also not blind to its flaws, and when you test cars a certain way like CR does, I understand that the DS can end up at the bottom.

It just goes to show that you need to get your information from multiple sources and the ultimate source you should rely on is yourself. Do the extended test drive, test all the competitors and make up your own mind.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That guy is incredibly annoying.

Also, I disagree about the X3 comparison. I have an X3 as well as a DS and the DS in more responsive and has better accerlation, esp in sport mode. I do like the X3 better at cruising highway speeds though (like over 75 mph), it has a smoother ride.

I agree about the GLC comparison though. I think Mercedes newest cars are destroying the competition in terms of interior finish.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Years ago on the advise of CR I bought an Audi 100, of course Motor Trend also gave a thumbs up as well. Great car to drive and it actually got better fuel economy than it advertised but they measured the car at 75 MPH.

A few problems did mar the car's CR recommendation.:crying:

Engine fell out of the car after one year. Lucky I was driving slowly in the city. Motor mounts broke and the transmission mounts and the front driveshafts prevented dropping to the road.
The idle valve (carburetor in those days) plugged up from "additives in the fuel" and had to be removed and cleaned monthly or sometimes weekly.
Oil sender leaked/failed about every 6 months in service, carried a spare and a matching wrench, finally replaced it with a sender from a different manufacture.
The valve seals would harden and oil consumption ( despite lots of STP LOL) and smoke made impossible to drive. Had to change every year first time under warranty. The valve guides themselves only had to be changed twice.
Because of the oil dripping into the combustion chamber the spark plugs plugged up badly and I had to keep a spare set soaking in cleaner for my weekly spark plug change.

Years late I was looking for some high performance tires and listened to CR again, great in rain, acceleration etc. etc. If I floored my SAAB 9000 at 40 KPH (25 mph ?) they would spin,:eek: I learned about feathering the gas pedal.

never looked for CR>:D advise on anything after that and did cancel my subscription.

Looked at every car in it's class ( some below and some above) including those mentioned by jabba and never had that moment when you say ah ah this is the one, until sat in the Disco.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a new owner of just 2 months, I totally agree with this report. It should be the number 1, actually. Several quality problems with my DS HSE. Even the cup holder can break and the light switch in the car, not to mention the auto stop/start not-working problem that LR didn't fix it for so many cases out there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I disagree with you guys. I think CR is one of the few remaining bastions of neutrality when it comes to consumer advice. Most others are completely corporate controlled or influenced. JD Powers is a joke. CR doesn't always get it right and I sometimes disagree with them, but I would never wonder if they're partial or biased.

CR uses a certain methodology, they look for certain features (look at the Tesla AEB debacle lately) and score a certain way that reduce bias and make all their reviews fully comparable. I understand why they give that score to the DS. Let's all be frank here, the DS doesn't handle or respond like an X3, it doesn't have the cargo room of a Rav4, it doesn't have the seats of an XC60 and it doesn't have the fit and finish of a GLC. I still wouldn't have bought any of those cars, even though, objectively speaking, all of them excel over the DS in certain areas.

I love the overall package that the DS provides. I love the design, the controls and the interior room - I wouldn't trade it for any other car right now. However, I'm also not blind to its flaws, and when you test cars a certain way like CR does, I understand that the DS can end up at the bottom.

It just goes to show that you need to get your information from multiple sources and the ultimate source you should rely on is yourself. Do the extended test drive, test all the competitors and make up your own mind.
Umm I don't know how you or CR get your info but have you actually driven a RAV4, X3, and XC60 ?
Ever wonder they drive like crap ?

FWD

Yup, all the cars are FWD and drive with torque steer. Not to mention they are sloppy steering, soft suspension, and awful off road drive dynamics. Test drive them yourself and compare....

I came from owning 6 BMWs in the past 18 years and have to say they were great when they had the E series chassis. As soon as the new F series chassis came along, they all fell to $hit. Matter of fact, when my E70 X5 was being traded in, the BMW dealer had me try their X3/X4 as well as their 535 - they drove like crap. Dealer was smart enough to know that the new current X5 (F15) would not be satisfying because I preferred hydraulic steering over this new current electric steering...

When I got the DS, I compared cars, I was looking for an exciting car (not a boring BMW, Toyota or Volvo) - I did find one other brand that was top on my list: Porsche.
The Porsche Macan S was my top pick while the Land Rover came in second. They both had 4WD torque vectoring that kept you connected while accelerating around a corner. Try to do that with a FWD Toyota or Volvo that will either flip over of skid out of control!

Could not afford the price of the Porsche Macan S with the $5,000 PTV (torque vectoring) option kicking the price tag to $65K.

The Discovery has built in standard torque vectoring which suited my driving needs, plus 4WD traction as soon as put your foot on the accelerator!

I"m sold on the DS.:D

My next Land Rover product will be the Range Rover Velar or full sized Discovery - I am a convert!>:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I really feel that CR is a bit of a joke....they are not about reviewing the best....they always seem to recommend average, middle of a run.... I am into AV system, Home Theater, automation setups etc... and I saw their reviews of DVD Players, Receivers, speakers, amps, Home automation systems etc...etc....
Same thing for cars or several other categories which I consider myself at least well informed and having some experience....
I have appreciation for quality and reliability but also like technology and performance.
Yes - LR overall has a less than stellar reputation - however buying a new or CPO vehicle shouldn't be an issue... Knock on the wood but if anything goes wrong I take it back to the dealer for free repairs and get a loaner car.

My issues thus far are nothing that would indicate any quality or design failures.
For example - I would prefer higher quality leather and all around (I have HSE with leather seats but was surprised to see a bit of non-leather material on the sides and going under the seats)
the rubber mats should be bigger...etc...etc....
Just minor things really

·
Registered
26 Posts
I do not agree with this report what so ever, I have had my car going on two years, getting close to 95 000Km mark on it and I have had the same issues as everyone else, but... the car does what Land Rover says it will do, and its a great little car I could think of a couple other vehicles you could throw below OURS! I also notice they spoke of the Toyota Tacoma... saying that was one of the worst, I'm no Toyota fan boy, nor will I ever be (I despise Toyota Owners, in truth good cars though), but EVERYONE knows the Tacomas are great trucks, they forgot about the Frontier which is far more unreliable, and not as great as a truck as the Taco.

Although you're bound to run into these issues with this "reports" to each its own, I just completely disagree with it.... EVERY CAR HAS ITS ISSUES no matter what.... depends what you like, what cars you trust, also taking care of your ride really helps. But I'm also bias due to being an owner of a LR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my Discovery Sport HSE for three months now and although I really do love it I have to grudgingly agree with CR in the points they bring up. The surge in acceleration from a stop can be pretty annoying and the Info Center is also problematic. It's slow especially when changing music selections using an iPod and pretty cumbersome to navigate through. I also don't like having to use the touch screen to adjust seat heater/cooling when a dial or switch would be more logical.. Then there's that freakin Auto Off switch. I'm really hoping there's a firmware update that will allow us to keep that off vs. a toggle switch. Although the interior finish is sparse I like it. I just wish the seats were deeper and more enveloping of my body. In fast tight turns I find myself shifting way too much. Reliability hasn't been a problem so far and I hope that trend continues. With all of that said however, I really do love my Disco. It looks great, rides very comfortably, I love the handling and I enjoy the Median sound system!

·
Registered
590 Posts
We’ve had multiple issues with the vehicle. I’ve even had the transmission replaced because of the sluggishness.
BUT it’s never left us stranded. As reliable as our our domestic vehicles have been, with one exception, there’s no excuse for the issues we’ve had with the DS. That being said, LR has gone out of their way to take care of the issues, provide loaners and make it worth our while. That, including all the major advantages it has going for it has kept us actually loving the DS. We just talked about it last night. But there’s no way in **** we’re keeping it past it’s warranty. LOL!

We’re still on the fence on whether or not we are getting another Land Rover product. My wife doesn’t like the big Disco ( I do ) and I don’t like the Evoque ( she does )...and the RRS and RR is getting stale so we’re not interested, Besides being too expensive. Velar is very cool and I love the V6 in it, it’s just not worth the money they want for it.
So our only real chance at staying with LR is if the new Defender wows us. We won’t know much about it till later this year. There is a very slight chance we might get another new DS. We like it that much and maybe there will be some improvements in 2019.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love the LRDS. Aside from the software issues (of which there an quite a few), the vehicle is great.
The big problem is that ALL of the vehicles out there are rolling computers, I believe that they said the LRDS has at least 12 updateable modules.
It's hard to conceive that over half of the car is software / firmware, ouch. Thousands of lines of code...
Good size, handling and fuel economy. I have mine in now having a valve replaced in the transmission that cases sluggishness / hesitation.
We purchased the extended warranty, but I think I agree with DiscoDisco that I would sell it when the warranty is up. Very expensive to maintain.

I agree that CR is not the go-to resource for me. I've seen some odd discrepancies between them and nearly everyone else.
I see a CR review and pass it up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do not agree with the CR report at all and also skip them when I see it BUT from my experience in the past 2 yrs with my DS, and as this is my 3rd Landrover in the past 12yrs - I'm for sure letting it go at the end of the lease - I am very dissapointed that JLR by now did not manage to come up with decent reliable cars that works the same way as any other BMW/AUDI/ACURA/LEXUS/.... (And the lkist is long) who did manage to create such cars.
I do like the DS design, room, service at the dealer etc. but at this luxury cars price points it is expected and should not be considered exceptional...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has any else noticed this:
1. Do internet research on the Discovery Sport.
2. Notice a link about “Cars Not to Buy” by Consumer Reports, Auto Blog, Etc. Read the reports, take it into consideration.
3. Suddenly get spammed by ad for Jeep Grand Cherokees or Ford Explorers.
It happened to me a couple times while researching cars.

I find Consumer Reports caters to a very price sensitive family. Minivans, Honda’s, and Toyota’s target this market. Very few reviews targeted the utility, function, and price range that fits the Discovery Sport. The few sources that honor it for doing so much in one package, discount it because it isn’t as capable (but much less $$$) than the Range Rover. And, they ding it because it isn’t as fast and doesn’t handle as well as an M3.

We wanted an off road capable vehicle for a growing family that gos on long road trips. We test drove lots of comparable vehicles. Toyota Highlander and Fore Runner’s were the closest runner up. But both had seats where my head hits the headliner. Grand Cherokee’s are very good, but the road noise was too high for us. The X3 handles great, but has less room for car seats than a 328i. Subaru’s are good off road, and on the highway, but seemed ponderous around corners as a passenger. Nissan Rogues drag guards with only minimal snow on the road. Mazda CX-5’s are exceptional cars, very nice interiors, but the AWD won’t traverse up a smooth grass slope. I thought the new Honda Pilot would be a contender too, but we found it hard to pick out alongside minivans. A GMC Acadia made use sea sick, and had our children crying in a conclusive test drive.

So, we ended up at a Land Rover dealer because I had seen some Evoques in town, and found that the Evoque, LR2, and soon to be offered Discover Sport all fit within the same price range. We didn’t find downsides listed above, and our first test had the Meridian stereo that blew all the competition away.

If price is your first and last consideration, Consumer Reports will guide you in the right direction. But, we found the LRDS offered more than the other we tested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts