Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New DS owner. Picked up a 2018 HSE Lux and love it.

How do I know which engine is in the car? I know there's a 237 and 286 hp variant. I heard the red badge at the back was supposed to indicate the 286hp. How can I be sure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the 2018 HSE Dynamic 286hp (red badged)… Quickest way to check that I can think of for the 2018 … Look at the front of the vehicle. If it has fog lights, it’s NOT the 286hp.

If it DOESN’T have fog lights, look in the big bumper grills where the fog lights would’ve been… if you see an “auxiliary radiator” behind the grill, you have the 286hp. They didn’t come with fog lights because they used that area of the bumper for additional cooling and airflow for the higher output engine.

Your front rotors are larger, also, with the 286hp, but that’s harder to measure without taking the wheels off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thinking more about it… I have seen quite a few “red badges” on DS’s that were NOT the 286hp.

I believe you could get the red badge as part of the “Dynamic Exterior” package that year that added ground effects/fatter bumpers, etc, and some interior extras, like red or white leather stitching and aluminum dash surround (see photo below).

….which was not to be confused with the “Intelligent Dynamics” package, which added extra suspension tuning and BWI’s MagneRide system.

Look at your drive mode selection and see if you have this button to see if you have the Intelligent Dynamics package…

Here’s a photo I found online of a 2018 DS with the “Dynamic Exterior” package, 286hp, but WITHOUT the “Intelligent Dynamics” suspension package.. as you can see it’s missing that squiggly road button..

Found that one here:

Looks exactly like mine, just doesn’t have the extra suspension mode, I guess.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts