Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone drove their Disco on the beach/sand dunes before?

i will be taking my disco next week on a camping trip on the beach where there will be dry sand, wet sand, and even sand dunes.

this will be my first time taking any type of car off-roading

any tips would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have taken mine on the beach in Brigantine, NJ. Sand is tricky. Many get stuck. Check out this previous thread for tips.

http://www.discoverysport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7050

They also make handy strips to use to get out of minor troubles, example: WawaAuto Car Escaper, Foldable Traction Mat, Ideal to Unstuck Your Car From Snow, Ice, Mud, and Sand -2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0CZZD2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_nyiPxbY41SX1Q

The biggest problems are digging in and bottoming out. The Discovery has some surprisingly great clearance and approach angles which should hopefully prevail against getting stuck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah coach yourself up for sand. As stated it's tricky. Lower air pressure in the tires helps as well.

As always...BE SURE you turn off stability control when you are off-roading. Putting it a special program is not the only thing you need to do. The stability control can work against you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, thanks for the tip!

will be taking the disco to Pismo Beach in California next week. going to be interesting to see how it handles the dunes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Also try not to stop is really soft sand and also turn as little as possible... Meaning minimize chances to dig in.

Have fun! I think the Disco is pretty well-equipped.

Strange enough it felt more confident than my lifted Wrangler was with Duratrac tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I certainly did something drastically wrong. I was in the Outer Banks of North Carolina this past summer and was anxious to try and drive on the beach north of Duck. I wasn't 0.25 miles into it when my disco sunk in and bottomed out. I had to be winched out. As was stated, sand is tricky.

If I would do it again, I would lower the tire pressure (not sure to what PSI) and I would bring gear to dig out with.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It happens to the best of us. I sunk my old Jeep up to the doors in mud. I got an F250 stuck on the beach... Luckily the Disco has not been party to my previous bad luck or inexperience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts