Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago we went camping in a very rugged area four state. It's a region thatswellknown to off road enthusiasts in the region and around the country. We stayed at Robbers Cave state park and they just opened a new ATV park area with miles of rugged trails and campsites. Well, one evening I got a tip that there was piles of cut wood from where they had cleared some trails. Being, we needed firewood, I jumped in the DS to go get a load. I got to the ATV trailhead parking lot and headed onto the main trail. The sun was going down and I missed the turnoff to where the wood was piled up. I needed up the very rugged and steep main trail and set out on steep climb. Now I don't mind a little light off reading but this stuff is NOT the terrain I would choose to take the DS on. However, in mud and ruts special program, it climbed like a mountain goat. The only concerns I had were ground clearance and tire damage. I kept looking for a spot to turn around but eventually the road just started to narrow and I had to do a six pint turn in the middle of the road. Again, the DS was great. It was dark by now and I had no spotter to help me with not bumping into the bigger boulders and downed trees. That's were the surround camera came in VERY handy. I just toggled between a few different views and managed to keep thebadywork from being scratched. So down the hill I went. Hill descent worked perfectly, even on the very sketchy and rocky terrain.

So on my way down I found the turnout I needed and went down the trail and found my firewood.

Performance in this terrain exceeded my expectations and gave me a lot of confidence in the DS capabilities. I do here a few knocks on the undercarriage but the only visible damage I could see aftercare full inspection was a slight scuff on the muffler, I recall when that scraped a rock LOL! Other than that NO problem!

I plan on upgrading the tires to Cooper Zeon LTZ when it's time to replace tires. They are a great mix of road and all terrain and they are a tough tire.

This thing has potential. :laugh: The experience opened up new possibilities for the Disco.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's really nice to hear. I'm not experienced with 4 X 4 driving so I'm interested in how it performs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we had talked about doing some of the Alpine Loop in Colorado next Summer. I'm MUCH more confident that the Disco can handle at least 75-80% of the trails and gulches in that loop system.

I'll keep posted on my progress.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks nice, wonder how they perform on the highway.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've learned they do great on and off the road. They really look to be the compromise that I'm looking for. They were actually the tire of choice on the Range Rover sport SVT that was in the last James Bond Spectre movie.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Disco, I went on the Cooper website and it didn't show them as a tire option for the 19" HSE. What size tire do you have? I do like the look of them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I'm not looking at their tire selector, just at available sizes. I have 20" wheels. I believe the current tires are 245/45R20....I'm looking at the 275/45R20 in the cooper.

So the Cooper will be a tad wider and a tad taller but I should have enough room without any lift.

I went to the cooper site and saw a 255/55R19
So they have a 19" available.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That tire selector will probably only match you up with your current stock size. Not anything a little bigger. They want to take any liability out of their suggestions lol.

I'm going to bang around on a few more Evoque forums and see how many guys have these on their Evoques. I know there's a 2 inch lift available for the Evoques so I'm going to see if anybody's done it without a lift, I'm pretty sure they have.

Still not due for a new set of tires for a while but who knows I may be the guinea pig on this ??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, my vehicle only has 3000 miles so I'm away from tires but I'm interested in what's next. I'd like a tire that balances both highway and off road. Looking forward to your research.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, Thats cool! I wish there was something like that going on in my area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts