Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a new Defender in development and it may share more then passing DNA with the Disco...

Arriving in time for the Defender’s 70th anniversary in 2018, the British automaker will recreate its legendary SUV for the first time since 1948. According to a report from Automobile, the Land Rover Defender range will become a go-anywhere luxury model with tough styling that will be offered in at least five body types including a two-door, short-wheelbase model featuring a metal top or soft top while a four-door, long wheelbase will be available only with a metal top. The company will also add a two-door pickup with a short wheelbase and a four-door pickup with a long wheelbase.
Land Rover Defender to Make US Return in 2019 » AutoGuide.com News

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is this the design or a concept for the new Defneder?

I have to say that I am not a huge fan of this design. It looks slightly juvenile to me, and maybe even dated by a few years. I am hoping that this is an old design that was just meant to give some imagery to the article.

·
Registered
122 Posts
They're going ahead with the Evoque convertible, giving more hope to a convertible defender to come out when production time rolls around.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just have never been a fan of SUVs that are convertibles. It just doesn't work in my opinion.
It's just a very niche thing to do, not what will appeal to everyone and not something that will sell in great volume, but it helps for a brand to have unique offerings like this.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is it that helpful though? If it doesn't sell in great volume and if it doesn't appeal that widely, why build it?

·
Registered
293 Posts
as long as it looks better than what nissan did they'll have no problem.
which here we can see that will be the case :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
it was a distaster

That is a terrible design. There just doesn't seem to be much design to it at all. Very little sculpting. At some points you have to wonder how a design like this got through the company and made it to production.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Seeing how Nissan has a stronger drive for wanting stronger volume products and little of this niche targeting, this could be the last we'll see anything like this from them

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well hopefully since Nissan's sport sedan concept most of Nissan's designs should look more interesting than this. Land Rover has got a better lock on the design, but I think any SUV without a roof looks awkward. SUVs should do removable panels that still leave a frame like a Wrangler instead. I think that looks better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There's no doubt their designs across multiple line up's will look much better than this. Even the new Maxima has been greatly improved for this generation.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, it's even better how they disappear into the C-Pilar all thanks to its black housing.
In the future I can see some owners considering blacking out the chrome housing for more of a sleeker look that blends into the C-Pilar even more.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Trickling down some things from the factory race team to something production related would be awesome. Although we can't expect much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts