Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to have been asked and answered a while ago but the information seems it may be out of date in 2020.

The vehicle has a data SIM slot and comes with a 3 month trial of AT&T. What stops working at the end of the trial if not renewed?

Shopping around I can get unlimited data only SIM cards from Sprint for $15 a month, from AT&T for $25 a month ($20 before 2/29/20), and share my 8 GB phone data on Verizon for $10 a month. Is it possible to use any carrier now or are we stuck with AT&T?

How much data does a car use? Is unlimited needed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased my 2018 used, took out the old SIM card and added a “data only” line to my ATT account. I think I pay $20/mo (part of my unlimited family plan)

What I use it for:

WiFi Hotspot
  • laptop/iPad occasionally
  • kids on road trips playing video games and watching videos in backseat
Navigation
  • utilize the “Route Planner” app to plan my trip on my phone, car has the trip ready when I get in
  • add/save favorite destinations
  • can view satellite imagery in maps
  • can view google street view panorama of your destination
  • gas pricing info
  • online business/destination searches
  • share your eta via text to contacts you store
  • updated location/notifications of speed/traffic light cameras ahead
Other stuff:
  • weather “widget” can show current location and destination weather
  • News updates (meh.. use once in a while, more of a novelty)
  • some minor software updates
My thoughts:
With the addition of Apple CarPlay available on the inTouchPro, many of these features are relegated pointless, and are better incorporated in CarPlay. Plus, you can ask Siri to find destinations and directions while driving, something you can’t do with the OEM navigation. You won’t get direction prompts in the gauge display, though.

At this point, I’m still debating keeping the data plan.. the main reason, is that I still prefer keeping my car navigation separate from my phone and I like the traffic camera notifications (but now the Wayze app has that in CarPlay).

More and more I find myself wondering why I still pay for the SIM card..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I'll certainly try it out for the promo period. Just not sure afterward.

Do you have any idea how much data you use in a month? I like the idea of unlimited, then I can save data on the phones while using the unlimited data in the vehicle. I have an 8 gb plan on Verizon and use a little over 6 of it each month. If the data use from the vehicle is very low the least expensive route is to add it to my Verizon account for $10/month. It could end up costing a lot more than the $20/month for AT&T if I start incurring overages on my Verizon data.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This seems to have been asked and answered a while ago but the information seems it may be out of date in 2020.

The vehicle has a data SIM slot and comes with a 3 month trial of AT&T. What stops working at the end of the trial if not renewed?

Shopping around I can get unlimited data only SIM cards from Sprint for $15 a month, from AT&T for $25 a month ($20 before 2/29/20), and share my 8 GB phone data on Verizon for $10 a month. Is it possible to use any carrier now or are we stuck with AT&T?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'll certainly try it out for the promo period. Just not sure afterward.

Do you have any idea how much data you use in a month? I like the idea of unlimited, then I can save data on the phones while using the unlimited data in the vehicle. I have an 8 gb plan on Verizon and use a little over 6 of it each month. If the data use from the vehicle is very low the least expensive route is to add it to my Verizon account for $10/month. It could end up costing a lot more than the $20/month for AT&T if I start incurring overages on my Verizon data.
The nav still works without paying for a plan, but the weather portion doesn’t. We have unlimited, and the kids watch video while traveling on iPads. Our router is 3G, which works well on interstellar, but poor in most towns. We attempted replacing it with a hotspot, but the kids burn through 8GB of data in 90 minutes. Also, Apple Music streams well when traveling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The nav still works without paying for a plan, but the weather portion doesn’t. We have unlimited, and the kids watch video while traveling on iPads. Our router is 3G, which works well on interstellar, but poor in most towns. We attempted replacing it with a hotspot, but the kids burn through 8GB of data in 90 minutes. Also, Apple Music streams well when traveling.
Yeah I’ll have to double check my “data only” line for the sim in the car is using by looking at my ATT bill.. the toad trips with the kids are rare, I have an hour drive to/from work each day and most of it I’m streaming music/podcasts through CarPlay.. I will say that it seams to get a little better signal going through the car’s WiFi (sim card receiving 4g) than using my phone’s 4g.. however, the phone can pickup 5g when available.. the car cannot.

I’ll look for the data it’s using on my bill.. I don’t really ever check it because it’s included in my unlimited “family” plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts