Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
Have joined to see if other members have had tow hitch problems...

I bought a pre owned 2015 Discovery Sport in 2017, had a Curt tow hitch....am advised is a .#13247....installed 2018.
No problems towing boats, utility trailer....till started towing a [email protected] teardrop travel trailer last month, after a one week and one weekend tour...noted rear bumper loose.

Tow hitch mount is tearing out of the chassis...four of the six bolts are tearing through the chassis.

Hitch is rated for 5000lbs, 700lb tongue wt.

[email protected] trailer weighs 1800lb, tongue 180lb.

A later model hitch with a different attachment system is on order.

Am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, and would like to alert people that the six bolt “flat”Curt hitch may not be safe....the later model is more a “U” shape reaching higher up into the chassis.

Julian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome. The hitch might've not been installed correctly with proper torque. If the bolts come loose, the movement would definitely cause damage to the mount points.

I have an original receiver, installed myself (4 hours by myself. normally 2hrs with 2 people per instructions). I haven't done that much towing, but have no signs of any issues. It also doesn't require cutting the bumber, which was a plus.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts