Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Land of Rover :D and would like to know
what kind of problems might be in store for me.
Not to get discouraged from purchasing the Discovery Sport but
just to be prepared, because I love so much about the car that
I am pretty much set on it. However I want to be prepared.
I am trying to read and compile all possible things that
can go wrong and when they can start going wrong but
it is so hard to get a full picture.

Could you, the honorable owners of the DS's put it for me
in one list here more less.. of what can go wrong and
what is the timing I could expect things to start breaking
or malfunctioning in other way, be it some stuff related to
the car performance or things of the interior, switches..
latches.. door locks.. radio system, navigation etc..
I do no.. but you get the idea.. just anything really.

Please share from your experience or what you know and think
might go and in what order :).?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am new to Land of Rover :D and would like to know
what kind of problems might be in store for me.
Not to get discouraged from purchasing the Discovery Sport but
just to be prepared, because I love so much about the car that
I am pretty much set on it. However I want to be prepared.
I am trying to read and compile all possible things that
can go wrong and when they can start going wrong but
it is so hard to get a full picture.

Could you, the honorable owners of the DS's put it for me
in one list here more less.. of what can go wrong and
what is the timing I could expect things to start breaking
or malfunctioning in other way, be it some stuff related to
the car performance or things of the interior, switches..
latches.. door locks.. radio system, navigation etc..
I do no.. but you get the idea.. just anything really.

Please share from your experience or what you know and think
might go and in what order :).?

How long is a piece of string??

A pillar rattles
B pillar rattles (4 visits to shop to fix)
screwed up electrics (3 visits to shop to fix)
blown premium audio speakers (1 visit to repair)
internal console rattles (ongoing 6 times returned for repairs)
Auto/Stop Start not working (10 visits to repair)
paint imperfections (multiple visits)
Digital radio not working (3 visits to fix)
extreme hesitation in acceleration particularly on 45 degree turns
random warranty fixes/recalls
memory seats randomly resetting- pretty awesome when your 6'5 driving at 100 KMPH and the seat decided to move to its closest point to the steering wheel...(not yet resolved)

I could go on, but my fingers are getting sore!

M

·
0 Posts
Well, Stevebo has had an experience basically the exact opposite experience from mine. I have experienced none of what Stevebo has, and have no substantial complaints or issues. Of course, there are things I think they can improve (radio preset scanning for example), but other than that I am very happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long is a piece of string??

A pillar rattles
B pillar rattles (4 visits to shop to fix)
screwed up electrics (3 visits to shop to fix)
blown premium audio speakers (1 visit to repair)
internal console rattles (ongoing 6 times returned for repairs)
Auto/Stop Start not working (10 visits to repair)
paint imperfections (multiple visits)
Digital radio not working (3 visits to fix)
extreme hesitation in acceleration particularly on 45 degree turns
random warranty fixes/recalls
memory seats randomly resetting- pretty awesome when your 6'5 driving at 100 KMPH and the seat decided to move to its closest point to the steering wheel...(not yet resolved)

I could go on, but my fingers are getting sore!

LOL! Maybe I will never know how long is a string, but I certainly know how long is yours :) and that is very helpful. Thanks so much.
Which model are we talking about here?

·
Registered
63 Posts
MY 16.5, 16.0, 15.5 and 15.

They gave me a loaner which was MY17- same flipping issues!

the list I provided is the standard stuff most people have dealt with on this site save for maybe the A-pillar vibration/paint imperfections/seat automatically adjusting whilst driving.

Now I take my car in and they give me Jaguar or range rover sport as loaners-

In all honesty the car isn't that bad mechanically, there are some batches that are worse than others, my frustrations arise because the dealer really didn't want to listen to my issues and would not accept that there were faults unless proven beyond reasonable doubt...I took the car to a different service centre where they follow procedure with much more attention and put the client first

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Well, Stevebo has had an experience basically the exact opposite experience from mine. I have experienced none of what Stevebo has, and have no substantial complaints or issues. Of course, there are things I think they can improve (radio preset scanning for example), but other than that I am very happy.
Same as MGlarry:) except I have no problem with radio preset scanning

·
Registered
125 Posts
I picked up my discovery sport in May of 2017 and I am up to 13,000km. One issue.. passenger door rattles when playing loud music. I have had three visits to the shop for repair which has resulted in 2 new speakers and new internal door clips. They have made slight improvements but the issue still remains.

Otherwise the vehicle has been great!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MY 16.5, 16.0, 15.5 and 15.

They gave me a loaner which was MY17- same flipping issues!

the list I provided is the standard stuff most people have dealt with on this site save for maybe the A-pillar vibration/paint imperfections/seat automatically adjusting whilst driving.

Now I take my car in and they give me Jaguar or range rover sport as loaners-

In all honesty the car isn't that bad mechanically, there are some batches that are worse than others, my frustrations arise because the dealer really didn't want to listen to my issues and would not accept that there were faults unless proven beyond reasonable doubt...I took the car to a different service centre where they follow procedure with much more attention and put the client first
Stevebo, It is great to hear that the car is not that bad mechanically but what concerns me is that people say that there are all kinds of electric/electronics
and since in modern cars everythign is based on electronics from breaks to acceleration and with everything inbetween like alarm, instruments console, doors, mirrors, windows etc. so what does it really mean that the car is not that bad overall.

I wonder though what is the percentage of customers that have zero or minimal problems.. as in - acceptable level of problems as opposed those who constantly struggle with the problem after problem after problem.

M

·
0 Posts
Discovery2018 - ANY modern car is full of electronics, and therefore, has a potential for issues - not just the DS. I have a friend who recently bought a Cadillac CT5. His ex happened to buy a CT5 at almost the same time. Hers was in the shop 5 times in the first 6 months, and he had no issues at all. Go figure. I have heard similar issues with more "common" cars - i.e. Mustangs, etc.

People post on these forums for basically two reasons; to find out how something works, and to complain about problems. Those who have no issues are unlikely to post and say "I have no problems". Having said that, I had one issue early on (blower motor bearing was making noise), other than that I am problem free (knock wood).

At the end of the day, either you like the car, and as importantly the dealership, or you don't. No matter which direction you go, there are risks for issues given the reliance on tech/electronics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discovery2018 - ANY modern car is full of electronics, and therefore, has a potential for issues - not just the DS. I have a friend who recently bought a Cadillac CT5. His ex happened to buy a CT5 at almost the same time. Hers was in the shop 5 times in the first 6 months, and he had no issues at all. Go figure. I have heard similar issues with more "common" cars - i.e. Mustangs, etc.

People post on these forums for basically two reasons; to find out how something works, and to complain about problems. Those who have no issues are unlikely to post and say "I have no problems". Having said that, I had one issue early on (blower motor bearing was making noise), other than that I am problem free (knock wood).

At the end of the day, either you like the car, and as importantly the dealership, or you don't. No matter which direction you go, there are risks for issues given the reliance on tech/electronics.

I Agree in part with MGLarry, almost all vehicles these days are electronically controlled. Luxury cars by definition have a higher tech component than non luxury component and therefore more things that potentially can go wrong. From this standpoint, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes VW all have issues with electrics to varying frequency levels.. For me the measure is severity.

stop/start not working is an issue (whether you agree with the tech or not)
batter drain/wiring faults are not acceptable (poor QC)
drivers chair re-adjusting whilst driving is a hazard
creaks/rattles/vibrations inside a cabin of a luxury item is not acceptable..

The rest of the issues I note in my initial email are neither here nor there and can happen to any vehicle....

As a first time buyer of a luxury vehicle, I find the build quality in the disco sport very poor.

M

·
0 Posts
Stevebo - If I had experienced the same issues that you have, I would be equally frustrated. Seems to me that the seat position resetting during drive would constitute a serious safety hazard, and should warrant an aggressive response from JLR, i.e. replacing vehicle...

Knock wood, rub rabbits foot, touch 4-leaf clover - I have had largely trouble free experience - I hope I haven't jinxed myself!

M

·
0 Posts
Another silly example of tech. My daughter has a 2014 Mini Cooper S. She called from the gym - stranded. Thought it was a dead battery, but has turned out the key fob has crapped out - no longer recognized by the car (and she lost her spare). So, off to the dealer (car still sitting in the gym parking lot) and a 3-5 day wait for a new key - at the bargain price of $250. How do you deal with something like that when traveling? Cripes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Another silly example of tech. My daughter has a 2014 Mini Cooper S. She called from the gym - stranded. Thought it was a dead battery, but has turned out the key fob has crapped out - no longer recognized by the car (and she lost her spare). So, off to the dealer (car still sitting in the gym parking lot) and a 3-5 day wait for a new key - at the bargain price of $250. How do you deal with something like that when traveling? Cripes.
MGLARRY- Most keys with FOB technology also have a physical key within them. There should be a button on the base of the FOB that need to be pushed which will release the mechanical key. This should allow you to open the doors. There should then be a mechanical way to start the car. Generally in these types of cars pushing the start button with the FOB calls-up a back-up start system..

It sucks though, when your left stranded and don't know the back-up system. I have often argued we put way too much technology in things..

M

·
0 Posts
Stevebo - Aware of the hidden key (as on the DS fob). Unfortunately, in the Mini at least, there is no mechanical way to start the car. If the fob is not recognized you are out of luck (the Mini fob did open and close the doors, just couldn't start it). This appeared to be a sudden failure rather than a battery dying slowly issue, as my daughter didn't complain of any issues prior to this issue.

As I understand in the DS that if you have fob issues (low battery) you'll like see an increase in fob recognition errors, and, in the case where the fob is not recognized, hold the fob immediately below the steering column (apparently that's where the sensor is). That will at least get the car started until you can replace the battery. No such procedure in the Mini, or so we have been told.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts