Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day, while doing so light-medium off roading, the "Low Coolant" indicator came on, then went off, then came on again and so forth. Later that day I looked and the level is slightly below the Minimum level in the container. I don't want to drive to land rover to have them top it off. When looking in the manual. the specifications say "Mixture of 50% water and 50% antifreeze meeting Jaguar Land Rover specifications STJRL.561.5003"

Has anyone had to top off their Coolant and if so, is this what you did and what antifreeze did you buy?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
326 Posts
When the engine is cold I would just top off with water to above the minimum line. It will not take very much water and will hardly dilute the mixture.

If the light comes on again only then would I worry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I contacted Land Rover, who gave me a spec code and told me that any auto parts dealer would have coolant that would work as long as i look for that code, couldn't find the code on any of the bottles. So I went and purchased "Zerex G40" Coolant/Antifreeze by Valvoline. The parts stores computer and the product itself indicated this was recommended for use in Land Rovers. Using this I topped it off.

Im heading on a 800 mile round trip road trip in a few days so I wanted to be cautious and thought it would take more fluid....I wished i would have listened to my father and waited for Bill to respond....I think it took about 1/2-1 cup of the coolant to fill it to the max and should have put in just water. It costs about $20 for the gallon so I really don't mind but the idea of this top off costing $20 is now a bit annoying lol.

Thanks for the response Bill

Ryan

·
Registered
326 Posts
At least now you have antifreeze at home in case it is needed in future. And now the rest of us know what aftermarket product to use.

You are to young to remember the tv show "Father knows Best" LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eery. Our low coolant indicator flashed on very briefly twice last week After googling, ignored it until I was able to get to the dealer Saturday morning when they took care of it. Guy did say if I was worried to top it with water since it's a 12L reservoir.

·
Registered
590 Posts
So the other day, while doing so light-medium off roading, the "Low Coolant" indicator came on, then went off, then came on again and so forth. Later that day I looked and the level is slightly below the Minimum level in the container. I don't want to drive to land rover to have them top it off. When looking in the manual. the specifications say "Mixture of 50% water and 50% antifreeze meeting Jaguar Land Rover specifications STJRL.561.5003"

Has anyone had to top off their Coolant and if so, is this what you did and what antifreeze did you buy?

Thanks
Ryan
Our dealership service dept keeps a jug of coolant in the service drive. I just had them top it off for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts