Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a peculiar problem that started this past summer and seems to be getting worse. I have a 2016 Disco Sport with 30K miles on it.

Putting fuel in it has become a maddening process. The gas pump constantly shuts off and it takes me 3-4 times as long to fuel it as it had in the past. I have tried to reposition the nozzle and have forgone using the handle-stop because it only takes a few seconds and it shuts off. I can hear the fuel filling up the fill-neck of the tank so I suspect something is keeping it from flowing freely but could not possible grasp what it may be. Has a vacuum developed? Or worse yet, since the fuel door does not lock (a design flaw in my opinion), has some nefarious character put something down in the tank?

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

M

·
0 Posts
I have not experienced that myself, but it sounds like a problem with limitations allowing the displaced air during filling to escape. If you have moved the nozzle around (which should allow air to escape through the fill tube) and that hasn't helped, I'm not really sure what the issue is. I'm not sure what trim level you have (or it makes a difference), but my DS does have a locking fuel door, it unlocks when you have the key nearby (just like the doors), so you wouldn't have to unlock it for access as long as you have the keys nearby (in your hand or in the car).

I recently had the joy to rent a U-Haul truck, and had the same issue at a few gas stations where the flow rate from the pumps was so high that caused shut off. Sounds like what you are experiencing. My solution in that case was either to hold the handle to control a very slow fill rate, or set the handle for a slower fill rate. I didn't experience that problem at all filling stations, just a few.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I have the HSE as well. I may find myself embarrassed but I am going to have to try and open the fuel door without the keys nearby.....

Best Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever figure this out, this has been going on for awhile with mine. Can't find much out there about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have only had this happen a few times on the DS. My last vehicle was a 2003 4Runner and it did this almost constantly. What a pain. What I figured out, is it’s a combination of things.

First off, it depends on the gas station I’m at. The newer the pump handles are, the more finicky the nozzle seems to be.

Second, yellow sac spiders.. apparently there are some spiders and insects that are attracted to the tight spaces and the fuel fumes around automotive fuel systems. They like to live in and build nests inside of the ventilation tube of your fill tube. On my 4Runner, I used my air pump to blast air through the ventilation tube (small hole next to the nozzle hole under the cap) and it stopped the annoying “stop” for a while.

I haven’t had it enough times on the DS to warrant the air blast trick yet, but maybe the same thing is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 land rover discovery sporthard to fill with gas

I have the same problem. was told that that the fuel fill hose L550 is causing the restriction. Today i had gas coming out of of the fill area on the tank when trying to fill with gas. Has anyone replaced this part? if so how does this area come apart? does anyone have a schematic of the gas fill area on this car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi !

I am facing the same issue of the gas pump constantly shutting off on auto mode .
And here is the explanation I am being offered by the Service manager in this regard .
A bulge has developed somewhere in the fuel hose ( 45 " length ) which is causing mechanical obstruction to inlet of petrol .
And since the vehicle is > 3 yrs old I am supposed to pay for replacement . Inspite of a 5 year full service and warranty package .
I am arguing it out that its a quality glitch / manufacturing defect hence the agency must foot the bill .
Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I just got a used 2016 HSE. I'm really liking the SUV except for the fact that it takes forever to fill up the tank! I searched high and low for a quick fix and the common denominator seem to be to try to work the gas vent tube. The problem is how do you find the vent tube/hole? There is no other obvious hole inside the refill except for the main filler tube and a drain hole along the bottom. I'm a pretty good MacGuyver kinda guy if I can just get to it.

I do have warranty left, should I take it to the dealer to get it fixed? Has anybody got their dealer to fix it under warranty?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts