Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks -

Currently in the market for my first luxury SUV. Shopped several makes/models. Hated the X3, And GLC and Won't touch the Q5 after a horrible previous experience with Audi

Am left torn between the Volvo XC60 and Discovey Sport. Really like the Disco but am concerned about reliability. Am located in the MA/RI line so also looking between Land Rover Warwick or Norwood

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Volvo dealers are really aggressive with discounts/trade-in value as well... any feedback on Rover dealers would be helpful

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I live in MA and own 2017 DS SE model (bought from LR Sudbury).
I love the looks and how it handles in snow (have driven through blizzard conditions this past week with flying color).
I did have a minor issue with a broken wiper on my delivery date but I have not experienced any issues since.
Currently at 2700 miles and averaging 24 mpg in highways and 19 mpg in cities.
Can't say how it will hold up after my warranty ends but I have zero regrets with my choice.
I don't think you can go wrong with either choices as Volvo isn't Toyota-reliable either. XC60 will be redesigned later this year which might explain dealers being aggressive.
Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2016 HSE with almost 10,000 miles and no issues. Mine sustained almost $7000 worth of rear end damage as a result of a semi hitting the car behind me and it crashing into mine. After all repairs, no difference in handling and no rattles and that was almost 8000 miles ago. Haven't driven mine in snow but i have in mud and it was pretty awesome. I love the way it drives on the highway for a SUV. Mileage is around 23 in HWY and 19 city.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi Folks -

Currently in the market for my first luxury SUV. Shopped several makes/models. Hated the X3, And GLC and Won't touch the Q5 after a horrible previous experience with Audi

Am left torn between the Volvo XC60 and Discovey Sport. Really like the Disco but am concerned about reliability. Am located in the MA/RI line so also looking between Land Rover Warwick or Norwood

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Volvo dealers are really aggressive with discounts/trade-in value as well... any feedback on Rover dealers would be helpful

Thanks in advance
The Disco is by far a better looking vehicle IMHO. If you are going with a gasoline engine, It will get very similar MPG. We have the 2.0L gasser and it gets 22-25 in mixed driving every week. We have seen 30 mpg on a few long highway trips. We've seen as high as 35mpg a few times as well...and normally get 27-29 on road trips.

We have an early build 2015 HSE Lux. It has had a handful of small niggles. The most disappointing was when the heater stopped working on the day we were to leave on a ski trip. Made the travel portion of the trip a real PITA. BUT the Disco has not left us stranded. (Knock wood). Ive seen a very small number of people who have had more serious problems with early build Discos.
However, LR does seem to be addressing the issues. So later models should be more refined than the inaugural 2015 model year.

The Disco should be more capable than the Volvo as well. It performs extremely well in inclement weather and has very good on road manners. We've even taken it off road and it was very good.
There used to be a serious lag at low speeds but this seems to have been fixed. Our Disco no longer has any type of low speed lag.

With the more premuim price we paid for the vehicle, expectations were high. After the heater stopped working we were very disappointed and in a combination of disappointment and exasperation, we decided it was better used as just a daily driver only and could not be counted on to perform reliably as a lifestyle vehicle. But we have found it very hard to turn our backs to this vehicle. We have decided to give it another chance and have started to outfit it for more adventures. So we'll see.

My wife was also in a fender bender in the Disco. She got rear ended by another vehicle while she was at a stop sign. The other vehicle had a crushed front end and had to be towed away. She was able to drive her Disco home and its was relatively minor damage which was fixed very easily. So these vehicles are very tough indeed.

Honestly, these are both niche brands that do not have the automatic, built in reliability of the mass produced brands. There's give and take. Even the so called "reliable" brands have their issues. As vehicles get more and more intertwined with technology, the problems and glitches will continue. Most of our niggles have been computer related...even the climate control malfunction was a computer glitch, nothing mechanical. Its just the world we live in right now.

I dont know how good the discounts on the Discos are right now. I can tell you that my dealership didnt really discount very much but I did get an unbelievablely good trade in amount for the vehicle I traded, which I can easily equate to a discount on the Disco. I also got a couple of freebies thrown in that I negotiated.

I will say that Land Rover USA got involved when we had our heater issue. For our troubles, they even threw us a customer appreciation gesture after it was fixed. They have stood behind the vehicle, I'll give them that.

Good luck!

FWIW...whenever you buy a vehicle on the year before its redesign, you set yourself up for buyer remorse. Just sayin...

·
Registered
588 Posts
The Discovery is a much more a car to see on the roads compared to the too common Merc, BMW, Volvo, etc...

Also, the traction system on the Discovery can't be beat as it's a full time 4WD - not the part time AWD with clutch packs you see on the FWD cars these days. If you choose a FWD w/ AWD option (like the Volvo, Lexus, Merc, Honda, etc), you have to ask yourself if you are comfortable letting the "computer" choose when to switch to AWD - I don't trust it and never felt correct. Having a Discovery with full time 4WD traction and the ability to change traction ability using the controls makes my drives into slick or rough conditions so comfortable.

Volvo's handling on a tight corner at speed as well as accelerating into a power turn will tell you how poorly every other car handles these scenarios. I used them to test out cars when I was looking for a small CUV.

The only other make that handled the test scenarios I put thru was the Porsche Macan S w/ PTV (expensive torque vectoring option), but after a $15,000 price differential; I decided to take the Land Rover's standard equipped torque vectoring and have not been disappointed driving her every day with a smile on my face.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to you all for the feedback, this has all been very very useful. I was seriously leaning towards the Disco and am now feeling much better about it - Will definitely schedule some time at the dealer and hopefully sooner will be posting here as a user!

Thanks again All!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Webibeay, I agree with most of what's already been written here by others. The Disco Sport will be better in snow, off-road etc. than the Volvo, and unless you get a lemon (every brand has some) you will be very satisfied with Land Rover quality. As I've said in other posts, the '17 Disco Sport we leased in December is our third Land Rover product––years ago we had a '90 Range Rover and then a '00 Range Rover. We owned both and kept each past 140K miles with only relatively minor issues. We're also never-again people regarding Audi, having just sold back one of their notorious TDIs. Before we leased the Disco Sport we looked at all the Volvo products as well as the Mercedes GLC and the BMW X3, but decided on the Disco because of a combination of its all-time 4WD, perfect size (for us), modest cost (ours is stripped except for the cold weather package), comfort and good styling. I think it's reliability will be about the same as a typical Volvo, BMW or Benz, and we've always been treated very well by our Land Rover dealers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got my DS 2016 SE at the Norwood dealership - they are really good and nice.
This is my 3'rd DS and I love it - I was also concerned about reliability based on past experience hence I decided to test this brand again with a lower end DS - to take the chance one more time and no regrets so far :) - good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had a number of land rovers and despite having issues with each i keep buying them. I love my disco even though it was in the shop for the first month i owned it. The issue was never resolved but more so because i couldnt deal with having my car in and out of the shop everyday and nothing to do with Land Rover not trying. They even brought in one of their regional master mechanics to work on it.

If i was between Volvo and Disco i would say disco all day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lots of positive feedback on the Disco... It's to be expected, you're on a forum with a bunch of enthusiasts... hahaha

Here are some of my Pro's and Cons:

Pros:
- For a tall car / handles great in corners!
- Less popular than other brands
- Ford 2.0 Ecoboost Motor (easy to get parts, oil changes, sensors... blah blah)
- Interior layout was done right!!! No stupid tablet style or popup infotainment that German/Japanese are playing with
- If you plan on towing, it tows amazing!!!! Uses a ford brake controller harness (cheap!), and have had 0 sway issues on windy highways
- Seating room is amazing... They've done well with front and rear passenger space :)
- It's pretty :)

Cons:
- There are British quirks that don't make sense
- Heated seat's do not function unless car is running... WTF?
- Infotainment system is slow... like a 2007 Pioneer Nav deck. Radio cuts on/off during start-up to find its station or input bearing. Serious Bosch/Rover??? :-/
- Theres a lot of gears, and it wants to shift all the time. Trans programming should double down or up-shift... Not as refined as German cars
- Heated seats... Again, German cars win 100% Heated steering wheel is awesome!!
- SE + Vision package = No auto leveling Xenon headlights... WTF, I thought this was a DOT requirement??
- Only highline models include the extra alum trim stuff. 100 bucks and you're fixed... Just bugged me that a 40k car doesn't have this

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Cons:
- Infotainment system is slow... like a 2007 Pioneer Nav deck. Radio cuts on/off during start-up to find its station or input bearing. Serious Bosch/Rover??? :-/
- Theres a lot of gears, and it wants to shift all the time. Trans programming should double down or up-shift... Not as refined as German cars
- Heated seats... Again, German cars win 100% Heated steering wheel is awesome!!
- SE + Vision package = No auto leveling Xenon headlights... WTF, I thought this was a DOT requirement??
- Only highline models include the extra alum trim stuff. 100 bucks and you're fixed... Just bugged me that a 40k car doesn't have this

I had a similar radio lag with my Infiniti FX37 - it seemed to take forever for the radio to load stations and GPS on start up. The time it takes for the DS to load seems to vary - sometimes glacial, other times very quick. I guess, after all, it really is a computer "booting up" - still a bit annoying.

Also, I have the Cold Climate package so have the heated steering wheel (awesome) and ventilated front seats (also awesome) :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
heated steering wheel is boss!!! sure beats sitting on your hands waiting for your butt to warm up :p I've used it several times this winter.

Ooh... also the SE Meridian stereo needs a ton of work. Overdriving bass which will cause door speakers to eventually rattle (I installed bass blockers). The HSE I believe has DSP adjustments and a sub that has fixed this. But really a 1k radio upgrade that sounds like poo? My 05 C230 has a better stock radio. :-/

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got my DS 2016 SE at the Norwood dealership - they are really good and nice.
This is my 3'rd DS and I love it - I was also concerned about reliability based on past experience hence I decided to test this brand again with a lower end DS - to take the chance one more time and no regrets so far :) - good luck with your purchase.
I was too quick to speak unfortunately - 7 month / 5800 miles on the road - Now the check engine light showed up in the dash - already set my appointment at the Norwood dealership - I hope its not too serious but this is for sure not what I expect from a brand new car :(
Seems like Landrover will stay Landrover forever... love or hate it as it is.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was too quick to speak unfortunately - 7 month / 5800 miles on the road - Now the check engine light showed up in the dash - already set my appointment at the Norwood dealership - I hope its not too serious but this is for sure not what I expect from a brand new car :(
Yep but Like I said, its hard to turn your back on this vehicle. LOL!

FWIW, Toyota..one of those "reliable" brands has the second most recalls of any brand, right behind number one ....BMW. And I'd hate to ask new Ford F-150 truck owners how they feel about their transmission pump failures that are plaguing them right now.

At least you'll get a loaner and its probably not going to be a big issue. Frustrating? Yes, I know believe me, but the Disco makes up for it in the end IMHO.

Obviously, there is a point of no return, but we haven't reached it yet. And for the new prospective owners. DO NOT buy a LR vehicle and plan on keeping it past the factory warranty without buying an extended warranty. You've been warned. :)
Its best practice for any vehicle these days anyway.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It seems that there are frequent complaints about the DS on this site - shortcomings, issues, etc. I have experienced my own issues (so far minor - knock wood), and think that for a car of this level we should expect more. I take solace in the fact that in this day and age with all the electronics, etc. LR is far from the only auto brand to have issues.

I have a friend who recently purchased a Cadillac XT-5 (about a month before I got the DS). Ironically, his ex-wife also bought an XT-5 (almost identical to his!) at about the same time. He has had zero issues with his, while hers had been in the shop 5 times... Just goes to show you - no car is perfect and immune from issues (though, that doesn't stop you from hacked off when something goes wrong :eek:)

·
Registered
590 Posts
It seems that there are frequent complaints about the DS on this site - shortcomings, issues, etc. I have experienced my own issues (so far minor - knock wood), and think that for a car of this level we should expect more. I take solace in the fact that in this day and age with all the electronics, etc. LR is far from the only auto brand to have issues.

I have a friend who recently purchased a Cadillac XT-5 (about a month before I got the DS). Ironically, his ex-wife also bought an XT-5 (almost identical to his!) at about the same time. He has had zero issues with his, while hers had been in the shop 5 times... Just goes to show you - no car is perfect and immune from issues (though, that doesn't stop you from hacked off when something goes wrong :eek:)
This is totally true. I had to talk my wife out of immediately trading off the Disco after we got back from our ski trip due to the climate control issue. She was done! LOL! It is frustrating, but as you said, most makes have issues. Like the Caddies, some of the same model may be fine, some may be problematic. LOL!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lots of positive feedback on the Disco... It's to be expected, you're on a forum with a bunch of enthusiasts... hahaha

Here are some of my Pro's and Cons:

Pros:
- For a tall car / handles great in corners!
- Less popular than other brands
- Ford 2.0 Ecoboost Motor (easy to get parts, oil changes, sensors... blah blah)
- Interior layout was done right!!! No stupid tablet style or popup infotainment that German/Japanese are playing with
- If you plan on towing, it tows amazing!!!! Uses a ford brake controller harness (cheap!), and have had 0 sway issues on windy highways
- Seating room is amazing... They've done well with front and rear passenger space :)
- It's pretty :)

Cons:

Enjoy :)
Agree with most of your pros and cons. However, the radio cutting out on start-up is something we have never experienced. It's actually one of those things I've taken note of as a positive. The radio keeps playing right through cranking and start-up - no interruption at all. Ours is a 2017 HSE with the base stereo if that makes any difference.

Would also like to add that after 4k km we have had no issues. No warning lights, no squeaks, no rattles. Car feels rock solid and it's a joy to drive every day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agree with most of your pros and cons. However, the radio cutting out on start-up is something we have never experienced. It's actually one of those things I've taken note of as a positive. The radio keeps playing right through cranking and start-up - no interruption at all. Ours is a 2017 HSE with the base stereo if that makes any difference.

Would also like to add that after 4k km we have had no issues. No warning lights, no squeaks, no rattles. Car feels rock solid and it's a joy to drive every day.
Wait until you get to ~5k-6k km - mine started making tricks on me just at that time ;):)

·
Registered
41 Posts
DiscoDisco, MGLarry,
I totally agree with everything you say and the fact that it all depends on the specific car, no matter what brand it is BUT with LR, which I had long history before this DS (Much older models - LR1 & LR2 for few years & they took everything I had out of me :) )- it is the hate or love relations - It seems like the LR engineering team always complicate things / adding more electronics and sensors to make the car more complicated - take for example the 2nd row seats in the DS - if you want to fold them there is an electric motor that releases the seat so it will get free to fold it manually while in other Luxury cars it is a simple click button - really unnecessary feature and another electric point of failure.
Another example if you look at the new Discovery - There is this cool feature of folding the back seats remotely from the in control app. - this is a huge point of failure with really a very little benefit.... Who is really in the need to fold the back seats remotely using a mobile phone and even if there is a need - how many times one will use it.
In the old LR1 & 2 models, there was this airflow meter that LR created but was a complete failure component in the engine and there are many more examples.
Anyway, I'm ones of the "in-love" guys so regardless all this I'm still in it no matter what :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts