Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share with everyone that the 2016 DS has the same rattling/ticking noise in the pillar by the driver side window. It sounds like the same issue that plagued the 2015 model. Dealer confirmed and have ordered parts for it. It will take 1.5 days to complete. :(

·
Registered
588 Posts
I thought I would share with everyone that the 2016 DS has the same rattling/ticking noise in the pillar by the driver side window. It sounds like the same issue that plagued the 2015 model. Dealer confirmed and have ordered parts for it. It will take 1.5 days to complete. :(
That's a bit disturbing to hear.

Was your DS an early 2016 model?

The serial number (VIN) range might be within the group as I have heard all 2015 and some early 2016 had this issue....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had it for about 2 weeks. It was built Oct 22nd and took delivery of it Dec. 4th. I don't have the VIN number handy. I remember reading another post about the 5xxxx range and mine fall outside of that. I was told by the service rep that it'll take 1.5 days to get it done. Part is on order. She didn't mention anything about welding tho.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What does it sound like? The only rattle we have is something that sounds like it's coming from the gauge cluster. I've pushed and prodded everything - nothing is loose or rattling on the surface plastic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for your post. I purchased 2016 DS HSE a month ago. I made service schedule Dec 23 as same problem like yours also right side piller rattling too. Could you post what part they change after finish work?

·
Registered
588 Posts
The noise is only when you drive going over bumpy surfaces.

The driver's side rattle was common on the 2015 model years and some early 2016.

But pillar rattles on the passenger side is unusual ??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So guys, I dropped my DS off this morning for the repair. I had one of the techs accompany me on a ride to hear the second squeaking noise from the trunk area. So during the ride, he showed me the noise coming from the pillar and how to physically replicate it without driving. He pressed the area slightly above the pillar and more on the headliner area...to the right...if you press on it, it will make a popping noise. That's what they're going to address initially. And during the ride, I pointed out to him it actually makes this ticking sound like a metal needle tapping on a metal surface sound when I drive on a typical city road (not smooth). The other noise, aka squeaking from the trunk, he was also able to hear. He rulled out the cargo cover making the noise and he said he'll look into maybe lubing some rubber seals since it only squeaks when the vehicle was rolling over bumps/potholes.

Off topic...slightly, does everyone with a 2016 DS with no 5+2 seating or a tow package have an opening in the rear lower bumper? I brought that up to the service rep and sales person. They noticed it on other deliveries as well. It seems to be cut for those said packages above but I never ordered it with mine. Just seeing if any dealers addressed that out there. I'll try to keep y'all DS nuts posted on this. Happy Holidays, y'all!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Off topic...slightly, does everyone with a 2016 DS with no 5+2 seating or a tow package have an opening in the rear lower bumper? I brought that up to the service rep and sales person. They noticed it on other deliveries as well. It seems to be cut for those said packages above but I never ordered it with mine. Just seeing if any dealers addressed that out there. I'll try to keep y'all DS nuts posted on this. Happy Holidays, y'all!
Look around this site because there have been other issues about the "hole" on 2016s. I do not know that anyone has received any type of resolution, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look around this site because there have been other issues about the "hole" on 2016s. I do not know that anyone has received any type of resolution, though.
I noticed the same thing when I purchased my 2015 DS back in August. My service dept said it was to accommodate installation of a trailer tow hitch. I checked the other unsold DS's on the lot (without the 5+2) and they all had that opening. I don't dig it, though...looks unfinished and the hole looks like it was made with a saw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: So I picked up my DS last Wednesday. I was told that they basically they did the same repair for DS 2015's. They removed the roof interior liner trim. Removed the spot wields and re-wielded them all along the front half of the roof. The rattle/ticking has been gone. I could not reproduce it.

Now to the squeaking from the rear. They re-aligned the trunk lid and greased the seals around but after a day of driving the squeaking came back. And worse. So I spent a little bit of time to figure out where that was coming from. After poking around, I was able to reproduce that squeaking sound from the inner tail light housing and the black trim piece above the license plate. I showed it to my service adviser and she said she's going to talk to the tech to see if they will actually need to order some parts for replacement. I'll keep you guys posted when i found out more. The squeaking is pretty annoying too and loud.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the same squeaking and am having LR check it out Wednesday. It does not make noise while driving, but only when moving the hatch or pressing on the driver's side tail light. It sounds like styrofoam rubbing and squeaking.

I am hooeful they will fix it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the same squeaking and am having LR check it out Wednesday. It does not make noise while driving, but only when moving the hatch or pressing on the driver's side tail light. It sounds like styrofoam rubbing and squeaking.

I am hooeful they will fix it.
I'm taking mine in this Thursday. But from what I've researched so far on the few disco forums, the sound is caused by the tail lamp housing rubbing against the painted surface of the trunk lid (up against the back of the lamp housing). Please update this thread if your dealer resolves it and note what they did to repair it. I'll do the same. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 disco has the same squeaks and rattles. The squeaking from the tailgate is caused by loose taillight housings and loose outer tailgate trim. My dealer took it all apart and put 3m insulating tape around each part. This took about 2 hours and it stopped all squeaks from the rear.

I have the ticking noise as well. My ds was delivered in January 2016 and is a 2016 model. I guess I will need the weld job I have been reading about.

Lastly the 2nd row seat has a lot of high pitched squeaks over small bumps and normal road surfaces. There is apparently a standard fix for this too. Going to get it done next Thursday, 2/4/16.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts