Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Disco in for an oil change last week. The only thing out of the ordinary that they did was a new battery management system download which will probably help my low battery warning they said. After picking it up that day I really didn't notice anything amiss until later in the evening. I noticed that the air coming from the vents was very weak. It's coming out in just a whisp air. Doesn't matter which vents are selected in manual mode, the air barely comes out even at full power on the fan setting.
Not sure if the download had anything to do to mess with that. It just sounds like a blend door is not opening to channel the air to the correct vent like it should.
We know that the air was blowing much much more briskly. We even commented on it just the weekend before.
Anyone else noticed this?

Was a major pain in the butt during our trip to Colorado these past four days, as we had no defroster and no real heater capabilities. It has really soured my view on the Disco. It's really sad that such a basic function, of any vehicle, has malfunctioned. I've never had this happen in any of my past vehicles?? Well, that wasn't 20 or 30 years old.

Got it scheduled in for service this Friday.......again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Gee what a pain! It's the result of how software has changed the way cars are built these days - we rely on the programming on the car to get a simple basic function like climate control.

Remember the old days when we had manual windows and steering where we actually rolled up down the windows ? That was when we also had manual heat/cool/ventilation blend gates by moving levers on the dash by hand...

The climate system may have been altered when the new software was downloaded.

The dealer will mostly like have to reflash the entire car with all new software to restore the climate control.

Have you done a system reset (disconnect and reconnect the batteries) in the meantime to restore the climate controls?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Loaner I had also produced no heat or fan. Went to the climate screen and pressed the icon in the bottom left and all was good. Also made sure that all the zones where activated.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gee what a pain! It's the result of how software has changed the way cars are built these days - we rely on the programming on the car to get a simple basic function like climate control.

Remember the old days when we had manual windows and steering where we actually rolled up down the windows ? That was when we also had manual heat/cool/ventilation blend gates by moving levers on the dash by hand...

The climate system may have been altered when the new software was downloaded.

The dealer will mostly like have to reflash the entire car with all new software to restore the climate control.

Have you done a system reset (disconnect and reconnect the batteries) in the meantime to restore the climate controls?
Yep, I did think about disconnecting the battery but I stopped short in fear that it might jack something else up.

Oh yes sir, Im old enough to remember and experience those days. I have had to get behind the dash in a few old cars with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull a few cables....but at least I could. :)

The advancement of cars in just my days and times is mind boggling. I appreciate and love what we have now and I can excuse a lot of faults, but this one really sticks in my craw. The timing only made it worse.

With only one exception, Ive also had a ton of domestics that just haven't racked up the same number of faults....not even close.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loaner I had also produced no heat or fan. Went to the climate screen and pressed the icon in the bottom left and all was good. Also made sure that all the zones where activated.
Thing is, my fan works. It changes speed and intensity. The blend doors just dont activate to allow the air through the selected vents. I tried every combination and fan speed, along with recirc locked on. Its even worse in Auto mode.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like a similar issue as mine in terms of to much technology can be a bad thing. My doors decide when to open randomly. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont. They say its a weird computer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did finally get my climate control working like it should. LR USA got involved and wouldnt let them release it to me until they were satisfied it was fixed. Their tech department worked with the dealership. Of course they wanted me to make sure I checked it out to my liking before we accepted delivery from the service department.

The had to completely reprogram the climate control as resetting it didnt work. Dont know what caused the issue in the first place. Everything is computer controlled these days.

Keeping an eye on it.

LR USA did reach out to me with a customer service gesture because of the huge inconvenience it caused during a major road trip. Which was not expected but it was a nice gesture none the less.
It helped to cool my wife's jets as she was trying to get me to trade it off for a Jeep Wrangler for the past 3 weeks. We really need to keep this thing for at least another 24 months and not go trading it off, but she was done with the DS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts