Discovery Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
We have had the car for five months and 10 300 kms (6500 miles) and just had the engine light come on again for the third or fourth time - seems like we get it every 6 to 8 weeks.

This time, the changed out the fuel injectors as they were leaking and swapped out the spark plugs - a $2000 charge back to LR according to the workorder. If I remember right, I think we are up to about $3500-4000 in warranty costs back to LR. I wonder what the cars would cost if LR was reasonably sure they would not have any warranty claims over the 4 year warranty period...

Still am loving the car, but thinking this is not the car to keep after the warranty has expired.

On the bright side, we get the car washed on a regular basis...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why did you have it towed in? Did it go into limp mode?
I called Land Rover Road Assistance and they (strongly) suggested that it be picked up by a flat bed truck and taken to the dealership to be checked. I told them that there did not appear to be an issue, but they used the "better safe then sorry" approach. Being my first LR and having it for only 2 weeks I did what they suggested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just had that too. 2016 DIsco with 1200 Kms on it. It's Saturday right now, of course the dealer said, we can not look at it right now, bring it in on Monday. Omg what a pain. The book says emission issue, the dealer guy said it will be millions of things like yeah, stall me in the road one day with brand new Land Rover!!! We are planning to keep this for long??? We chose this DIsco over german vehicles, we don't know now?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow, this particular thread is getting long

So our check engine light came on again, maybe I jinxed it as last week, I was telling the wife last week that it has almost been a month since our last engine light.

This time, the high pressure fuel pump has been replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Amazing to read the replies here. My dealer first told me it was an exhaust leak that was repaired with a special compound while they wait for recall gaskets. The second time it happened they told me the recall gaskets were recalled, but after a few weeks they said there was a software flash to prevent the light from coming on soon that would be available in February. In mid March they called me and said the software was in. I haven't seen the car since as they also sent it out for the B Pillar mods.

What amazes me is what the service departments are telling the customers. Are they guessing or just spurting out excuses to get people to go away?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Went to Reno with the family this weekend for some light offroading and beach time. Stopped at the outlet mall for some shopping :). Started up to head home and had the amber check engine light. Got a bit worried, checked out the manual and since we weren't too far from home we headed out. July 4th weekend, so expected dealers would be closed/super busy anyways.

First problem for me apart from the 1st week engine start issue. I'm at 5500 miles. Hopefully since these issues were discovered in Jan... we should have a clear solution in July.

I'm hoping for too much? ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Disc.Sport HSE

Guys Hi,

I have the same issue.
Have they found what is the problem?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes I posted what my problem was in a previous post. Seems that they vary. If you have a check engine light just take it in the find out what's wrong and get the fix.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the check engine light is on, the dealership should be able to run diagnostics and figure out what is wrong with your sport. Would be harder if the engine light keeps turning on and off.

R

·
0 Posts
Thank you guys.

This is the 4th time the check engine light is on and they have not figured out what is the problem yet.

I hope this time to find out what is going wrong.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check Engine Light Intermittent for 12k miles now

I've been reporting on my check engine light problem for 12k miles now (total mileage c40k). Latest here: http://www.discoverysport.net/forum/50242-post1.html

Unfortunately its gotten to be a running joke. Things just don't seem right in my world unless the engine check light is on. Dealer has had three attempts to fix, all for naught. Never noticed any change in performance of the car.

The article on ethanol gas was interesting - thanks Phil. Given the miles I travel from one region to the next I could be switching ethanol content in my fuel pretty wildly from tank to tank, regardless of brand.

I get the car serviced at less than 1k feet of elevation but now live at nearly 3k feet. I wonder if elevation has anything to do with it? In addition I have found my light coming on when ambient temps are approaching or above 100F. Just the opposite of what some of you reported on your winter wonderland trips.

Whatever it is it now seems one of the eccentricities of owning British. Best of luck to all...

:nerd:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm reading this forum because they just released the 2018 Discovery and since my blood runs green I was thinking I needed to start working toward trading in my 2016 Touareg that I bought instead of the Disco Sport. Good luck to everyone, so far I have 6500 miles on the Touareg with zero issues. I do have the radiator out of my LR3 replacing a leaking water pump, radiator, and belts. To those of you with long histories with Land Rover you know they are a love/hate relationship and the dealers generally are poor to work with. When I bought the Touareg it was solely because of my experience with our local dealer service department at Land Rover being terrible and the service department at VW always going totally beyond the call to take care of me. See you in 2018!

Oh also for those of you who are interested in diagnosing your own vehicles, Nanocom or Black Box Solutions makes a pretty decent unit. I've saved many trips to the dealer and many diagnostic charges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the engine light come on at least three times in my 2016 Disco Sport since purchasing in June of 2016. Appointments at the dealership are booked out so far, that on all occasions, the light goes out before the appointment date. The most recent light on episode started two weeks ago, when I fueled up in a resort town that hasn't had much traffic since Labor Day weekend. I wondered if it was a fuel issue, but I have now refilled the tank at least twice with my usual fuel and light is still on. Dealership cannot get vehicle in until mid-November, but it seems to be running fine. My light on issues have typically been around refueling at gas stations while traveling AND higher temperatures (80-90 degrees F). Super frustrated, and to top it off, LR dealership won't supply a courtesy vehicle while mine is being serviced!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Red Rover: No courtesy vehicle, sucks for you... I think you need to kick that one upstairs but my original dealership was so tight on courtesy vehicles I had the same problem on occasion.

BTW my engine check light remains intermittent, now just under 45k miles on the vehicle, this has been a 17k mile problem. Usually associated with fueling, high ambient temps and/or frequent stop/starts while running around town. Almost always goes out in a day or two. Always seems to go out right before I take it to the dealership (how does it know?).

In addition I keep getting frequent SD Card Read errors again (it's baaack...). The entertainment/navigation system is also starting to get wonky - sometimes it won't load properly on start up and has to reboot itself (this is becoming more frequent). The boot is also getting slooooow...

Expect to run out of warranty in Jan/Feb next year (50k miles - I will have had the vehicle 20 months). Put my deposit down on a new one for delivery about that time. I must be a glutton for punishment...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
buy a cheap CEL reader from Harbor Freight, keep it in the vehicle, when you CEL lights up grab the code with the reader.
you can also checked for stored CEL codes (Autozone can check for you too).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chuck, if I had one of those I'd be using at least once a week, no kidding, my check engine light is that frequent. I don't just ignore it, but I do make a lot of jokes about British engineering. Three tries at the dealership so far and not fixed. I have a buddy with one of those things and we've checked it before - usually emissions related, sounds bad but seems to really be nothing. My guess is that it is variations in the ethanol content of the fuel I buy.

I will be trading the car in for a new one when it turns 50k miles, probably around February. What do you want to bet it won't be fixed by then? I really won't need another service before the 50k mile mark but may try for one more fix before then.

·
Registered
590 Posts
For you guys that still have CEL coming on...I don get it. Your dealership should be able to read the codes. Its just that simple. Even if the light goes off, there is still a trouble code in the computer. That's unacceptable IMO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Disco, they do read the codes and it is always something different they try to fix. Still comes back. That and they SD Card Read Error...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts