Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a wild question and hypothetical one..
In the US, if you order a car and have not received it yet but you changed your mind and want to get one from a local dealership after all not necessarily the one you order vehicle at, can you cancel the order without any penalties?

Second part of the question - if your car arrived and there is something that you don't like about it can you cancel it and refuse to get it without penalty?
I am not talking about obvious problem on a new arrival that probably gives grounds for refusal to drive off the lot, but what if I just feel I don't like
the way the interior color ended up looking different then I thought it will based on the pictures?

·
Registered
588 Posts
As long as the deposit is labelled refundable.

If it's refundable, you can change your mind and not take the car.

When you sign the long auto purchase form, then it's yours.

If the deposit is non refundable, then you better choose another car from the dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pretty much what Sallypat said above.... though it will be near impossible to negotiate a deposit on custom order and have it refundable at the same time.

Custom orders are considered non-refundable - even if the car turns out to have an actual problem - the dealer will just fix it.... (short of the car being a lemon based on the State laws)
You can always TRY to negotiate and hope for the best but the dealer will be in the proverbial driver's seat.
Never mind a reason like "I no longer like that color or it looked different on the picture".....

In all honesty - I realize buying a car is a major decision and a lot of money.... but you need to decide for yourself what you like, what you can live with and what's non-negotiable for you.
Not sure how many cars you have purchased in the past....it's almost never an easy task and there is NOTHING you can do but drive yourself crazy if you worry about every detail.
pick your battles wisely because there is a lot involved in the process of buying and later in the experience of driving and owning your vehicle.
I have purchased 6 cars in the last 10 yrs...."cheapest" being Audi A4.... and I can tell you that to some degree...every brand will have its shortfalls, issues, TBS issued with certain frequency etc...etc...etc...

I have owned 2017 DS for only 2 weeks now....so I am very new to LR brand and I am sure others can help you in your final decision better but I am just speaking here from general experience and hope you can take some of my points under consideration..... Again.... it's pretty much about test driving the heck out of a few cars in your price range and see which makes you smile and excited to own ...

Best of luck with your purchase...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts