Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone..
im planning on doing regular camping trips (outside of summer) with a young family of 4 max 3-4 nights... but quickly finding the Disco sport is has very limited space..
eg half the boot will be gone by the time i add a fridge, then chairs, sleeping bags etc.. etc The tent will go onto the roof racks.

Im curious to see if anyone else has managed to squeeze in everything they need for a 3-4 night trip with kids ? any advice/tips on how to fit everything in?

Just wondering if fighting an uphill battle by thinking we can do this with the DS.. instead of anther vehicle.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi everyone..
im planning on doing regular camping trips (outside of summer) with a young family of 4 max 3-4 nights... but quickly finding the Disco sport is has very limited space..
eg half the boot will be gone by the time i add a fridge, then chairs, sleeping bags etc.. etc The tent will go onto the roof racks.

Im curious to see if anyone else has managed to squeeze in everything they need for a 3-4 night trip with kids ? any advice/tips on how to fit everything in?

Just wondering if fighting an uphill battle by thinking we can do this with the DS.. instead of anther vehicle.

Cheers
Depends what facilities are available at the camp site you stay at. If you’re remote bush camping where there are no toilets, showers, water etc then you won’t be able to fit everything you need. I don’t have kids and only just manage to get everything in when it’s just me and my wife in that scenario. However you might be ok at a national park where there are camp grounds with facilities. Have you thought about fitting a tow bar and getting a small trailer? It would be less expensive than buying a whole new car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi everyone..

Cheers
it can be done, I suggest getting a roof rack though. I lived out of my Disco Sport with 2 people and a dog for 2 weeks. Packing camping gear, food, water, pett toilet, and recovery gear.

you can pack a LOT of stuff around the spare tire, and in the gap behind the back seat if you slide them forward as much as is comfortable for your passengers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers mate. I'm looking at a rhino rack pioneer type roof rack to throw the tent up there.. hopefully I can find some info on the forum on goof roof racks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would strongly recommend the FrontRunner rack over the Rhino pioneer platform. The rhino is a solid platform, but they don’t have a made-to-fit set of mounting rails for the DS yet. As a result, the load capacity is only like 250 pounds, really low. Because the FrontRunner has replacements for the rails as well, so mounts directly to the roof, it has a capacity several times higher, over 900lbs I think.

if RhinoRack ever comes out with replacement rails as well, it will be a game changer, but until they do, it’s not worth it IMO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cheers mate. I'm looking at a rhino rack pioneer type roof rack to throw the tent up there.. hopefully I can find some info on the forum on goof roof racks
That’s what I have fitted to mine. Rhino cross bars and a Rhino Pioneer platform tray. I store the tent, gazebo and chairs up there. My DS didn’t come with roof rails so the cross bars fit up differently using a fitting kitting specifically for the DS and are much more solid that way IMO. Got the lot from TJM. Have a look at my avatar. Regarding weight, the cross bars are rated to 75kg for on road driving load. The platform weighs 17kgs so leaves me with 58kgs load to play with which is fine for what I carry up there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s what I have fitted to mine. Rhino cross bars and a Rhino Pioneer platform tray. I store the tent, gazebo and chairs up there. My DS didn’t come with roof rails so the cross bars fit up differently using a fitting kitting specifically for the DS and are much more solid that way IMO. Got the lot from TJM. Have a look at my avatar. Regarding weight, the cross bars are rated to 75kg for on road driving load. The platform weighs 17kgs so leaves me with 58kgs load to play with which is fine for what I carry up there.
Cheers mate. I might search the forum before asking more.. 75kgs for me is cutting it close. My tent alone is 30kg lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
@ABD I can echo @Spectre08 and @**** you will need a sizeable aftermarket roof rack. If you search my posts you can see the set-up. If you're strategic about the contents (carry only what's necessary and maybe a couple luxury items) you can fit it all. The weight limit on the front runner is 600lb static and I personally have had 250+lb dynamic load. I have done several multiple day trips with my kids to remote (no facilities) and not so remote places (store in walking distance). We also did a 9-day road trip to La Paz Baja from San Diego. You might ask yourself why you need a 30kg rooftop tent. You can get a huge ground version that rolls up in way less space and weighs under 20kg. @spectre is also right if you move the spare to the roof there's a ton of room in the spare wheel well although not super accessible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cheers mate. I might search the forum before asking more.. 75kgs for me is cutting it close. My tent alone is 30kg lol
No worries. I did a 1000km trip up to the Kirrama ranges last year over some pretty rough terrain. It handled the load just fine. Just use common sense when driving, loading and tie everything down properly. I gather you’re not using a roof top tent so that saves on space too. Here’s a photo of mine loaded up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Everything fits fine in one of these!

On a serious note, I’ve camped solo with the DS for a week without a roof rack, slept both in a tent and a few nights on an inflatable mattress that fits in the back with the seats down. I don’t think I’d try it with a family without a rack and a small trailer to pull along extra gear, unless you have a family that can pack light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gents, just clarifying.. its not a roof top tent.. but 7p ground tent. Jet tent f25x aka oztent .. just weighs a fair bit at 32kg.. plus say a gazebo at 20kg.. so I'm definitely going to look at the front runner thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just noticing that all the websites which advertise the front runner slim Line roof rack indicate that DO NOT fit vehicles with NO sunroof.

Is that right? My ds does not have a sun roof

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
606 Posts
If you are bringing more than 1 backpack per person you are not going camping more like Glamping. Everyone packs their backpack , take 2 small tents (less weight and less room ) rather than a large one, a cooler can fit in the rear seat between 2 passengers. A tarp and rope in case of rain or extreme heat, some cardboard to sleep on ( in a sleeping bag naturally) and a small primus.

I have camped beside the Pacific ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, on top of a mountain , in the desert, in 2 meters of snow and a flash flood in Rapid City USA. In later life a Scout leader for 20 years.

The less you bring the more you appreciate nature

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes its such a dam dissapointment !! rung around and spoke to a few others and this appears to be the case.

so now iam busy searching for information re: roof rails + ditch covers.. and may go the rhino generic pioneer platform..

otherwise tradesman roof racks appears to be an option

the crappy thing is the load weight is limited to 75 kg per DS manual.. where as the front runners was much more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yes its such a dam dissapointment !! rung around and spoke to a few others and this appears to be the case.

so now iam busy searching for information re: roof rails + ditch covers.. and may go the rhino generic pioneer platform..

otherwise tradesman roof racks appears to be an option

the crappy thing is the load weight is limited to 75 kg per DS manual.. where as the front runners was much more.
Though Front Runner states otherwise, I don't see a reason they wouldn't be able to fit the non-panoramic roof DS. I installed panoramic roof rails on my solid roof DS and I didn't even have to buy ditch finishers. I cut the original ditch finishers to size and it's been just fine for the past 2.5 years

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Though Front Runner states otherwise, I don't see a reason they wouldn't be able to fit the non-panoramic roof DS. I installed panoramic roof rails on my solid roof DS and I didn't even have to buy ditch finishers. I cut the original ditch finishers to size and it's been just fine for the past 2.5 years
I am sure the manufacturer of front runners would have considered this also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hear ya mate. I got in touch with front runner direct, who then also double checked with their engineering team in SA. unfortunately no good for non Pano NS cars

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hear ya mate. I got in touch with front runner direct, who then also double checked with their engineering team in SA. unfortunately no good for non Pano NS cars
Ah I see; that's unfortunate. Panoramic roof rails will work with your car though, if you don't mind a not quite perfect fit on the cosmetic finishers. Here's an old picture of my install. I cut the aluminum by hand and didn't bother to make it perfect, though you can probably make it a lot cleaner.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Liquid Vehicle door

1 - 20 of 23 Posts