Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

The Discovery Sport is Land Rover's entry-level premium compact crossover. It offers customers a good amount of standard features, 3-rows of seats that can seat 7 people, and design that looks great. Here's the lowdown on the Discovery Sport for any interested potential buyer. Feel free to add to it too.

The Land Rover Discovery Sport is beautiful, which is a great compliment since some crossover look far too boring, or they look awkward in trying to avoid looking boring. One particular design element that stands out is the lighting design, which is great at both the front and rear end.

The Disco Sport is a compact crossover, but it is able to carry 7 people. The third row of seats is not really appropriate for adults though -- it's more for kids or special circumstances. USAToday has pointed out that the Discovery Sport is the smallest 3-row 7-seat vehicle available in the US today.

Let's focus on the driving now. Land Rover has always been great when it comes to off-road ability, and the Discovery Sport is no different. It also is quite nice to drive on normal roads too. It has a 4-wheel drive system that biases to front wheel drive. It runs on a 2.0L turbo four engine that produces 240 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque. Europe gets diesel options, but not North America -- sorry. The turbo-four engine will take the Discovery Sport from 0-60 mph in 7.8 seconds. Fuel economy from that same engine is below average when compared to its rivals. It stands at 20/26 22 (city/highway/combined).

Features are a major selling point for the Discovery Sport. Head level vents are simple, but are quite appreciated. Another cool standard feature is USB ports for each and every passenger in the car. New features added for 2016 include InCOntrol Protect and InControl Remote. The former is an emergency roadside assistance feature, and the latter is a smartphone app that allows owners to find their vehicle in a parking lot, check if the doors are locked and windows are closed, remote start the vehicle, and activate climate control adjustment.

Here is how each trim level breaks down in terms of features:

SE: Starts at $37,455. Notable standard features: 2.0-liter turbo I4, 9-speed automatic, power partial leather seats, Terrain Response, rearview camera, rear parking aid, power folding mirrors, automatic headlamps, rain sensing wipers, two-zone climate control, eight-inch infotainment screen, hill descent control, push-button start, 18” alloy wheels. Notable options: Vision Assist Package: Xenon headlamps with LED signature, front fog lamps ($800); Climate Comfort Package: heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, heated windshield ($1,300); Convenience Package: power tailgate, passive entry, auto-dimming interior mirror, HomeLink wireless control system ($950); Row 3 Seating Package: third row seat, climate control with high level vents to third row ($1,750); Audio Upgrade: 11-speaker audio system with satellite radio ($800).

HSE:
Starts at $41,955. Notable standard features over SE: Xenon headlamps with LED signature, front fog lamps, panoramic roof, 10-way power grained leather seats with memory, passive entry, Homelink, powered tailgate. Notable options: Climate Comfort Package ($1,600); Row 3 Seating Package ($1,750).

HSE LUX: Starts at $45,996. Notable standard features over HSE: 10-way Windsor Leather seats with memory, configurable mood lighting, aluminum treadplates, 11-speaker audio system, satellite radio, Navigation system, InControl Apps (links smartphone to automobile to start, find and check on vehicle’s fuel level). Notable options: Climate Comfort Package ($1,600); Row 3 Seating Package ($1,750).
It seems to me that the base model is a great bargain. Plenty of standard features at a price of $37,455. If you'd like to have navigation and stream audio then you 'll need to move up to the HSE trim level, but the HSE LUX trim level adds things that I just don't think are that amazing. I'll leave the leather seats and satellite radio, thank you.

What other strengths and weaknesses does the Discovery Sport have? Which Discovery Sport would you buy, and who would you recommend it to?

·
Registered
35 Posts
One minor correction to your analysis: One need not buy the HSE to get the navigation. It is an inexpensive option with the SE model and virtually all SE models that I have seen have it.

And yes, I agree, that the SE is a bargain. Though there are 7 or 8 differences between the SE and HSE, only meaningful differences (to me anyway)are the panoramic roof and full vs partial leather seats. The partial leather seats are about 70% leather and are very nice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts