Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
verdict: HORRID

I hooked up an old iPhone via the USB, so that it appears as the "iPod" when in the Source mode.

Browsing thru playlists and songs is super unintuitive. If I drill down into a particular playlist and select a song, there isn't a way for me to go back up a level and look for other songs in the playlist. When I click on Browse again, I am brought back the root level (where I am forced to scroll up/down again for the playlist all over again).

I think the bottom line for me is to avoid the iPod and stick with using my current iPhone via Bluetooth. By extension, I think a smartphone's GPS is leagues above the DS's Nav (especially since the Nav has no traffic detection). I must say I like the Nav's bigger screen, though.

Grrr . . . .

·
Registered
35 Posts
The navigation function is flat out awful. For me, it is the worst thing about my DS. Garmin GPS units from 10 years ago are superior in function and ease of use. In contrast, the navigation in our BMW X3 is so easy to use, intuitive, and reliable. I have pretty much given up on using it and generally use my phone instead.

·
Registered
590 Posts
verdict: HORRID

I hooked up an old iPhone via the USB, so that it appears as the "iPod" when in the Source mode.

Browsing thru playlists and songs is super unintuitive. If I drill down into a particular playlist and select a song, there isn't a way for me to go back up a level and look for other songs in the playlist. When I click on Browse again, I am brought back the root level (where I am forced to scroll up/down again for the playlist all over again).

I think the bottom line for me is to avoid the iPod and stick with using my current iPhone via Bluetooth. By extension, I think a smartphone's GPS is leagues above the DS's Nav (especially since the Nav has no traffic detection). I must say I like the Nav's bigger screen, though.

Grrr . . . .
I'll take the DS's Nav to my iPhones Nav any time. It works just as well, easier to read and follow...the turn pop up in the vehicle information screen is nice. What kind of traffic detection are you talking about? My DS Nav warns of traffic problems all the time. It's been pretty good.

I am having "iPod" connectivity issues though. Sometimes it will "read" my phone when it's hooked into the USB, other times it won't. It's a pain. I don't know if it's my phone or the DS... Now unfortunately, I can't play music through my phone via BT because my Apple Watch hogs the connection. However, I can still make/recieve calls....just no music playback....unless I leave my watch at home :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
The navigation function is flat out awful. For me, it is the worst thing about my DS. Garmin GPS units from 10 years ago are superior in function and ease of use. In contrast, the navigation in our BMW X3 is so easy to use, intuitive, and reliable. I have pretty much given up on using it and generally use my phone instead.
Man, I just don't see where the problem is? It understands my commands better than any Nav has before it. I just used the Nav with perfection on a 1700+ mile trip. Gave me traffic info, When asked, it pulled up a couple of nearby restaurants and took my right to them....no problems.

I have what I thought was a super good Nav in my RAM truck with uConnect, but the DS is even better.

That BMW Nav must take the wheel for you, feed you and wipe your arse as well. Must be something real special....LOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a "dead spot" in my nav that was corrected with updates at the dealership.... Otherwise it is awesome. I miss using waze but the voice recognition and speed of response is incredible. It takes some learning with it for typing or asking for places, but I think it is great.

One issue I noticed is you can't voice command it to go home. I made "home" a favorite as a workaround.

I also had issue with not loving the ipod interface. I used an old ipod. A usb drive with folders as my "playlists" works awesome!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did not realize there was a Traffic feature (just played around on the Nav and saw it . . . ) will have to check it out more this weekend.

·
Registered
590 Posts
did not realize there was a Traffic feature (just played around on the Nav and saw it . . . ) will have to check it out more this weekend.
Saved me a little time on my way home from our ski trip by rerouting me past a traffic jam in Albuquerque.....

It's come in handy a few times in town but I don't sweat traffic alerts too much around town....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts