Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2016 HSE Disco Sport that I have been enjoying as an upgrade from my LR2. I will admit, however, that I am baffled by some of the features and their use. I should note that I bought the car used, so some of it is me not knowing all the original options (although I do have the original invoice - I just never had a dealer walk me through how they work).
My question is about Blind Spot Monitoring. After owning the car for a few months, I feel it could really use this feature - at least compared to my LR2 it has some sizable blindspots particularly on the passenger side. I have never seen an selection for it on the car (and no lights on the mirrors), so I am pretty sure mine does not have it even though the car is pretty loaded in terms of options. I have the park assist, rear camera, etc (and I *thought* the vision assist package) which I would think would be a very similar system to the BSM. Here is my question:
1. Was blind spot monitoring available for the 2016 HSE with 5+2? How would I know I have it?
2. Is this something that can be added later?
Thanks for any input - still working out the features of the car and can use all the input I can get.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Isn't the Disco much better than the LR2 ???

I am glad they replaced out the LR2 with the more useful crossover.

Yes the Vision assist is the same as blind side monitoring.

Unfortunately, I was in the same dilemma, I wanted 5+2 for my 2016 and fount out I could not have the BSM option on top of that 5+2 option. I chose the 5+2 being more important than BSM.

It was available an option offered only on the 5 seater DS - don't know why an extra row of seats would make a difference since sensors are located in the corner bumpers of the car and the illuminated alert signal is part of the side view mirror.

I wish it can be retrofitted into my 2016 but I have gotten used to checking my mirrors and turning my head each time I want to change lanes....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Isn't the Disco much better than the LR2 ???

I am glad they replaced out the LR2 with the more useful crossover.

Unfortunately, I was in the same dilemma, I wanted 5+2 for my 2016 and fount out I could not have the BSM option on top of that 5+2 option. I chose the 5+2 being more important than BSM.

It was available an option offered only on the 5 seater DS - don't know why an extra row of seats would make a difference since sensors are located in the corner bumpers of the car and the illuminated alert signal is part of the side view mirror.

I wish it can be retrofitted into my 2016 but I have gotten used to checking my mirrors and turning my head each time I want to change lanes....

Thats very odd that they cant offer BSM on the 5+2.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Strange. I have a 2016 with 5+2 and Vision Assist (including blind spot monitoring):confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
When I bought my DS, (2015 build sold as a 2016), it was not possible to get that combination of options.

I heard later, when the 2016.5 came out, the 5+2 and Vision was available.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well that explains it :) - mine is late 2016...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ordered mine in september of 2015 (5seaters only) and been told that blind spot monitoring was not available yet. Then in october I was called back by the dealer telling me that it would be available for cars built from 2015 december 5 (+\-), so i changed my order and got it.

I guess they made it for the 2016 model year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just bought a 2016 sport with most every option. However the cameras will not work. When I push the camera button all I get is rear view. I've tried all the book ways and it will not come out of the backup mode. Any suggestions? Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello. we recently got the disco sport also and we have cameras on our, they do work fine when I press the camera button, it shows me the perimeter cameras. I am thinking there is some issue with yours bigedac, since it should be a one button affair. As far as the BSM, for some reason I trust my convex mirrors more than that blasted thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do people who have blind spot monitoring value it? I've ordered a Disco Sport and still debating if it's worth the extra money. I think I would still turn my head and check traffic even if I had it. Apparently it has some feature about reverse traffic warning that I'm interested in though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do people who have blind spot monitoring value it? I've ordered a Disco Sport and still debating if it's worth the extra money. I think I would still turn my head and check traffic even if I had it. Apparently it has some feature about reverse traffic warning that I'm interested in though.

I have BSM on my 2016 5+2 and find it useful as it does a good job of showing those cars that like to hang around in your blind spot - in addition to the flashing when there is a car approaching from behind very quickly (though I still look over my shoulder - habit!). But even without that, I find the other options with that pack very useful. I got spoiled on the surround cameras with my Infiniti - so had to have them! The Xenon headlights. And, especially, the reverse traffic detection. In my opinion I can't see why every insurance company isn't demanding this...has saved my bacon more than once when backing out of a parking spot between two larger vehicles...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blind spot mirrors

It's not just changing lanes that I find useful its the vehicles creeping along the near side and off side that you miss in blind spots. I found it very useful on a LR curtesy car

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too am coming from an LR2 into the Disco Sport (and don't hate on that LR2; it could climb a mountain and was very versatile.) I feel like the DS has a HUGE blind spot. When I was driving a DS loaner, I liked its BSM feature, but I ended up buying a 2016 DS without the BSM and I miss it. I have actually found the best option for me was some low-profile stick-on blind spot mirrors from AutoZone. I stuck them on the outer-bottom corner of the car mirrors and they work well at a glance and don't look too ghetto.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It is easily one of the best new safety features found on modern cars - highly recommended. Even if you're usually vigilant about checking your blindspot, it's a huge help to have a visual indicator. The reverse cross-traffic warning is also very neat.

You should never fully rely on these nanny features, but after having had them on the DS I would never have another car without them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts