Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Here is a new challenge with my White 2016 DS - I am a very detailed guy and as such looking closely at the DS doors bottoms - I noticed in the past few weeks yellow little stains on the paint - mainly around the wheels area but also in other places too - including some on the trunk door - I included some pictures which I took today - after washing the DS. I live in the North East, maybe this is the winter road salt end results? weather outcome? it is important to note that the stains are not easily washable with soap and water only and it seems like they are on the paint and not in or under. I did try to specifically remove few of them using WD40 and it did work - removed the ones I tries. I read somewhere that these are rust stains that cause by the wheels rubber (Not sure how exactly) due to some manufacture poor painting work (??) and that there are specific chemicals to treat these. Does anyone have more details? have the same exact issue? noticed and treated it? Does it make sense to address it with the dealership as I got this DS brand new. I am very worried - How do you guys wash your DS? I wash mine by hands only and never washed it in the automated machines! (I took the embedded pictures after detailed wash of the DS today) Any idea will be more than welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sure looks like rust to me. Poorly prepared surface prior to painting?
I'd get it in to the dealer right away, if for nothing else to document the situation... Certainly doesn't look normal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the same issue actually. I plan to give the dealer a shout about it. Good to see I am not the only one.
stzombie I'm from the metro Boston Area, what Dealer are you usually using - Mine is Kaplan in Norwood - Maybe we can shout together :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
stzombie I'm from the metro Boston Area, what Dealer are you usually using - Mine is Kaplan in Norwood - Maybe we can shout together :(
I was planning to bring it in to Sudbury.
It might be a bit of a hike out for you from metro Boston.
But my experiences there have always been good.

Shoot me a PM if you want to coordinate.

-Anthony

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To bring this thread to a close - I finally managed to stop at the dealership today (Not for a good reason but to replace one of the tires :(... ). While I checked in I asked the service guy to look at these yellow rust stains and he immediately responded that these are rail dust and mentioned that almost every other week a another white Landrover/RangeRover owner is asking about this and the answer is the same for all - This is NOT a LR paint specific issue but a white cars issue - a dust from the brakes is causing this (BTW after searching the web - this really seems to be the case with all other brands White cars too - all complaining about it).
To be fair with the dealer - I got a great service - The guy offered me the next time I'm in for service a detailed cleaning of the car to remove all these stains (~3 hours of work according to him) and he also noted it in the car file and the tire replacement summary worksheet :).
The interesting part for me was when the guy mentioned that I should not be worried about the DS getting rust as the DS is made of aluminum so rust is impossible (!).
All in all its seems like all is good and I'm very satisfied with the service and detailed explanation I got (But not so much with the new 18" tire $$$ = ~300$ :( ... ).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts