Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, and my first post, so be gentle please.
My wife noticed it first, as her hearing is better than mine, but there is a quiet beep when we pull from the lights, not fast, and the third change which I think is 4th as it starts in 2nd?
However it akes the beep at other times, I thought it was when we hit 30kph, but I've heard is at around 50kph?

Its nt that annoying as with the music on you can't really hear it, but I would love to know what it is.

As I don't believe I have this red light camera thing, as this happens on none red light camera lights.

The car is a 2016 HSE TD4, with a 9 speed box. Its got lots of bells and whistles, but I'm not sure how I check what it has as bought it second hand, and they were useless!!

Any help would be appreciated, and this is my 4th landrover, obviously a glutten for punishement!!

Cheers and merry Christmas

Tony

· Registered
99 Posts
Intermittent things are very difficult to diagnose so if you can, try to find a way that you can reproduce it reliably. Sounds like starting from a stop is the one you're noticing most? If you can make it do that every time, you could take it to the shop. You might want the mechanic to ride with you so they can hear it, otherwise you may get billed for an hour of diagnositc time with a note that they "can't reproduce the problem". Honestly, you might still get that but at least if the mechanic hears what you're hearing they know how to see if they're on the right track with a diagnosis.

If you can't reproduce it reliably, here's what I'd probably do...

First, scan it for codes using a scan tool that reads manufacturer specific codes and see if the computer knows what's wrong (or more realistically, can point you in a good direction). If that comes up empty, I'd probably have the trans fluid & filter changed.

I assume based on being 6 or 7 years old that it's got more than 50k KM on it. I know almost all manufacturers say the fluid never needs changing but they'd also like you to send your car to the crusher at 200k km and buy a new one. Most automatics start to shift a little sloppy at 50-75k km and really could use a fluid and filter change at that point. It'll make the transmission work better and last longer. It's good preventive maintenance on your transmission even if that's not your beeping problem. The only downside I see to it is if that doesn't help it and it ends up being something like a shift solenoid going bad, you'd have to get back into the transmission to fix that and you'd have to pay for another fluid change.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply, and my mechanic is also a friend, and only deals in LR's, but all types.
The car has just clocked 150k on the clock, but runs well, well after the transmission fluid leaked, due to a seal issue, which was a problem as i have the older transmission casing for the 8 speed box, but the 9 speed box. All fixed now, but still making the noise, and i didn't have the details about the regularity of the noise when he fixed it, so I will chat with him at the next service, as we do it every 10k, and thats about 3 months!! Yes we do a stupid amount of miles, as its a huge country Australia!!

Again thanks, and have a brilliant 2023!!!

Tony

· Registered
99 Posts
You should be set up with a friend who's an LR mechanic. We should all be so lucky! Did he change the fluid when he fixed the seal? Sounds like he probably did and if that didn't do it, he might have to go a little deeper.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be set up with a friend who's an LR mechanic. We should all be so lucky! Did he change the fluid when he fixed the seal? Sounds like he probably did and if that didn't do it, he might have to go a little deeper.
Yes he did replace the fluid, as quite a bit had been lost, so $45 a litre!!
I will keep digging till I find it and post the results, as I’m sure I’m not alone, just most people won’t travel in silence!!
Happy new year, only 4 hours to go here!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts