Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2017 Discovery sport with less than 14000 miles on it. Since about a month, receiving error 'Low Battery'. I generally drive around 20 miles on weekdays and around 100 miles on weekends, after the weekend dive error disappears for couple of days. Last weekend I drove more then 250 miles, but the 'Low Battery' error is back. I don't understand why battery is not retaining the charge on this vehicle.
Did anyone else experience similar issue? Any ideas to keep the battery charged.

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
There is a software fix for the battery draining that may be your trouble. I have installed a CTEK charger in my car and it has a mode to rejuvenate a AGM battery. I use the charger once a month overnight (I drive little kms some months) and the rejuvenate mode yearly.

The low battery warning seems to be way to sensitive.

My Start /stop feature worked erratically and they did the software fix and now the start/stop works all the time much to the dismay of my wife who hates it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a software fix for the battery draining that may be your trouble. I have installed a CTEK charger in my car and it has a mode to rejuvenate a AGM battery. I use the charger once a month overnight (I drive little kms some months) and the rejuvenate mode yearly.

The low battery warning seems to be way to sensitive.

My Start /stop feature worked erratically and they did the software fix and now the start/stop works all the time much to the dismay of my wife who hates it.

I will contact the dealer for software fix. Thanks for the Information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2016 with 77,000 miles - Low battery message started about 6 months ago. The longer I don't drive it, the more frequent it comes up. Always starts. The on/off stopped working about 2 years ago.

More recently, I started it up with the message and drove it 700 miles in two days. No message in the AM (after 350 miles), no messages when turning off to gas up. The display did shut off/restart 200 miles in. I have never seen that before.

I purchased a H7 AMG battery (called the LR Dealership and asked for battery type), then stopped a local O'Reilly's. No batteries came up for my Disco. I told them that the dealership said it was an H7 AMG, then they were like, 'okay, let me get our equivalent'

I asked to look up the Range Rover Evoque, read somewhere that this was the same battery type, sure enough, they did have the batter for the Evoque, and it was an H7 AMG, they showed me the screen. I purchased it ($210) but have not put it on yet. I will wait a few more days and continue testing, see if the message comes up as my driving will be limited the next couple of weeks.

I'll circle back with an update soon.

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
So if the car sits there you get low battery warning, but if you take the car for a long drive there is no warning. sounds right to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Bill - thanks for your insight.

I think there are quite a few discussions around the internet that could be 'solved' with your logic. I was merely adding to the growing body of experiences that these forums are great for.

On a serious note, can we leverage your expertise again? Can the battery be changed as a DIY without having to worry about calibrating anything in the battery management system?

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Falcon if you read all the posts here or on the UK site you will see some owners have problems and others do not. Best to have a fused 12 volt supply hooked up to the battery leads to keep all memory items intact. In all my more modern cars I have always gone to a battery shop to have the work done most install for free or charge a small amount if the job is a little harder.

Not a hard job but if handled improperly a battery can explode. :cautious:

Curious as to why you did not have the dealer get the start/stop working when under warranty and change out the battery you had mentioned (other post) was bad in 2017 ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts