Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 and I've had battery issues since the beginning. The first time, I left the blinkers on and by the morning the battery was dead. The dealer gave it a long charge and it worked fine for a while. The last few months have found me with a dead battery half a dozen times. I try to drive the Disco at least once a week, but I am finding that a week's rest is enough to kill the battery. Bought the car, new, in 2016, and have about 25K kms on the odo.
I've had my local mechanic check to see if the battery was discharging by itself, but they say, no.

Any ideas? Or do I just have to buy a new battery and shut up?

Yesterday, I was late for a funeral because the battery was dead, again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You need to get the whole charging system checked out, but that being said, a car battery generally lasts 3 to 6 years, depending on where you live.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to take the Disco to the dealer to have my rear window replaced anyway - it seems to have shattered spontaneously. Fortunately, the film to darken the glass kept it in place. I will have them check and replace the battery this week. I live in an area that the temps vary from the 40s to the 80s all year long. I don't think it's the weather.

Is there a second battery to help with the starter? One mechanic I spoke to thought there was.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just get a new battery, they're relatively cheap.

You don't want to use a battery that stressing your alternator anyways. Replacing an alternator down the road is more expensive and more difficult.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Is there a second battery to help with the starter? One mechanic I spoke to thought there was.

No most cars with stop/start have a secondary battery to keep the electronics powered up, but the Disco does not and that is one of the reasons the battery is finicky.

I would have them do the software update for the battery draining.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to the dealer today and the agent suggested I get a battery from another manufacturer. The cost for a replacement battery is about $500 here in Mexico. They said it should have a min of 800 amps. She said that the LR batteries are a bit finicky. I'm going to check the measurements of mine and shop around a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts