Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm having issues with the batteries on my LR DS MHEV 2021.

Bought car new in March 2021.
Often getting 'please start engine battery low' messages.
First call out to flat battery in early July 2021
Many fails since then, I think we are on 4th new battery. Been into JLR dealership twice for over two weeks both times.
Failed again last week after a software update overnight. Next morning flat battery and can't get into car.

I tow and the tow bar is not JLR but the wiring loom is, not fitted by JLR. JLR are saying this might be what's causing it - but the issues do not always happen after I've been towing - only the once was the car totally dead after towing. All others either after software download or just out of the blue.

Any thoughts? Anyone with similar?

Julia.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like a parasitic draw and usually on newer vehicles it's because a module isn't going to sleep. The usual diagnostic procedure is to trick the car into thinking the doors are closed (so you can get to the fuses without waking the car up), hook an ammeter up in series with the battery, wait for the car to go to sleep which could take a while. I haven't checked how long mine takes to go to sleep but seems like at least 10 minutes. If you have more than about 20 milliamps of draw on the battery it's probably too much. Then you check voltage drop across all the fuses until you find the one (or ones) with voltage drop, which indicates current is flowing across that fuse. Figure out what that fuse feeds and go from there. Usually you can unplug modules until you find the one that stops the current draw and the usual fix is a new module if you find a bad one.

If you search youtube for parasitic draw you'll find some good videos on how to track them down. If you see anything from South Main Auto, Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics, or Scanner Danner, those are all pretty good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a parasitic draw and usually on newer vehicles it's because a module isn't going to sleep. The usual diagnostic procedure is to trick the car into thinking the doors are closed (so you can get to the fuses without waking the car up), hook an ammeter up in series with the battery, wait for the car to go to sleep which could take a while. I haven't checked how long mine takes to go to sleep but seems like at least 10 minutes. If you have more than about 20 milliamps of draw on the battery it's probably too much. Then you check voltage drop across all the fuses until you find the one (or ones) with voltage drop, which indicates current is flowing across that fuse. Figure out what that fuse feeds and go from there. Usually you can unplug modules until you find the one that stops the current draw and the usual fix is a new module if you find a bad one.

If you search youtube for parasitic draw you'll find some good videos on how to track them down. If you see anything from South Main Auto, Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics, or Scanner Danner, those are all pretty good.
Thank you for all this. I would have thought main dealer who have had it in twice now for work (first time two weeks, second time three weeks) would have checked this but I can ask the question this time.

I've left the car hitched up now since last Sunday and the car is still ok - no dead battery so how can it be the trailer electrics, that would have been long enough to drain the battery if it was I would have thought?!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've left the car hitched up now since last Sunday and the car is still ok - no dead battery so how can it be the trailer electrics, that would have been long enough to drain the battery if it was I would have thought?!
All kinds of things are possible. Could be an intermittent issue and it's not acting up right now. That makes diagnosing the problem extra fun since they have to also figure out what causes the fault to happen if it's not happening at the moment they look at it. A lot of dealers / mechanics will avoid spending hours of time trying to chase down an intermittent issue and that's mainly because their customers don't want to pay $500 to hear they couldn't find a problem. It could be that having the trailer electrics hooked up actually makes the tow module behave correctly and go to sleep and when it's unhooked you have the battery drain. But it's just as likely something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got this message a couple of days ago and had to call Land Rover assistance. My car is a MY 2022 with 10 K miles. The day before I noticed that the a/c was only blowing ambient air .
anyway it transpired that there is a known design fault with the alternator belt tensioner and my belt had given way at the joint. It seems owners are being contacted to have new belt and tensioner fitted and this was done at home by the excellent assistance mechanic.
My concern is that I have not received any notification about this and my car was rendered undrivable because of it. With luck the problem happened in my driveway but it could have happened anywhere with the consequent possible chaos.
I-therefore would urge any owners with a similar vehicle to contact there dealer.
Thinking back I have had a warning saying battery low start engine on a couple of occasions which may give a hint of trouble ahead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I'm having issues with the batteries on my LR DS MHEV 2021.

Bought car new in March 2021.
Often getting 'please start engine battery low' messages.
First call out to flat battery in early July 2021
Many fails since then, I think we are on 4th new battery. Been into JLR dealership twice for over two weeks both times.
Failed again last week after a software update overnight. Next morning flat battery and can't get into car.

I tow and the tow bar is not JLR but the wiring loom is, not fitted by JLR. JLR are saying this might be what's causing it - but the issues do not always happen after I've been towing - only the once was the car totally dead after towing. All others either after software download or just out of the blue.

Any thoughts? Anyone with similar?

Julia.
Have a look at my post about electrical failure. Transpired it was due to a belt breaking but which had probably been failing for a while. I was also getting low battery please start engine messages occasionally. There is a known problem and they are replacing belts and tensioners but no-one told me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts