Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just bought a used DS 2016. It has 19'' alloy wheels. The previous owner replaced the back tires with bridgstone 255/55R19 and the front ones the continental 235/55R19. He said that he did that because the car looks better like this and I agree, but I am worried about future problems in performance or maybe in the suspension?

What do you guys think?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Looks like it will be a problem. The 4 wheel drive will not like the setup and it may cause damage.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Staggered wheels/tires are only allowed if the rotational diameters front and rear are identical.
Looking at your tire sizes, they may be very close.

What I would worry about most is the different brands / treads which can cause handling issues - especially in emergency maneuvers or braking.

As for the widths, staggered rears are better on road performance on higher HP cars.
I had a BMW X5 with 20" staggered (315 rears and 285 fronts) which worked perfect for the heavy torque output the BMW diesel engine with twin turbos put out...
The staggered wheels are good to prevent oversteer when accelerating out of a turn...

Your Disco does not have excessive torque - off the line power so it's for looks for sure....

I would replace out the tires to match all 4 - use them for summer. Then get a set of wheels with factory standard with winter tires if your area needs it..

·
Registered
590 Posts
The previous owner was, well...less than smart. Matching set and sizes are the way to go for long term use. Of course u can equip a vehicle with wider tires in the rear but that’s usually engineered from the factory and the tire brand/model should also match in those instances.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The previous owner was, well...less than smart. Matching set and sizes are the way to go for long term use. Of course u can equip a vehicle with wider tires in the rear but that’s usually engineered from the factory and the tire brand/model should also match in those instances.
Also, with different size tires on the fronts vs. rears, how do you go about rotating the tires? Without regular rotation you are bound to get uneven wear, causing expensive replacements a lot earlier than needed.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Also, with different size tires on the fronts vs. rears, how do you go about rotating the tires? Without regular rotation you are bound to get uneven wear, causing expensive replacements a lot earlier than needed.
Yes and regular rotation is very important with the Disco Sport.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts