Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 16 degrees yesterday (and today) in Texas - very cold for here - which created my first issue. Yesterday when starting out all seemed normal until I tried to accelerate. No power, no response, just chugged along - also sounded a bit "rappy". This went on until the car got really warmed up. Even then, seemed just a bit off. Felt like fuel flow issues, though with electronics could be just about anything.

So, this morning I remote start the car to warm up before heading off. Now the check engine light is on, though the car seems to run normally (though I really didn't push it).

Anyone else have these issues?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think any car will creak and crack when it cold outside, just the chemistry of the metal expanding and contracting. As for the Check Engineer light, maybe some of the fluid was cold. Now if the CE does it again service time !!!

Went up to Aspen and Telluride for Thanksgiving and I also notice it creaking
and cracking, but once it warmed up it was fine. Don't get the CE light.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This wasn't body/cold related creaking (grew up in western NY - know cold and snow!). This was engine louder and rappier than normal and absolutely no power or acceleration - put my foot down and nothing (or very, very little) - as if there was no fuel flow. Very low power, engine seemed to miss a bit (though no popping/backfiring).

After the car got warmed up it improved. Quite concerning. Then this morning, equally cold but remote started the car to warm up. That seemed to solve the power issue (though when I got in a gave it gas it stalled, and I had to restart). Then the check engine light.

At any rate, gives me an excuse to get it into the dealer and see about updates/recalls...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like a good plan!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It was -14 this morning without wind chill and outside of my ongoing key issue everything seemed fine. The remote start is amazing. It has also been pretty cold here since i bought the car so maybe it was just a first time cold type thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had that issue too!
Thought it was just me... It was about 1-2F here end of last week.
I went out in the morning after the car sat for a whole night, started and let it run for a couple min til the RPMs dropped as usual. Noticed pretty high revs but no power whatsoever and really really hard shifts for about 5 min til the car got going.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad it wasn't only me! Took me 5-10 min until the car got good and warmed up before normal. Wouldn't have thought too much more about it until the CEL came on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, took the DS in for service today - check out the power issue (CEL light went off before I dropped it off) and to have updates/recalls addressed.

Picked up an Evoque loaner (SE trim I think). Have to say it was interesting. I see no performance difference between the Evoque and my DS (maybe I'm lucky, and mine already had powertrain update when I bought it). Does feel more confining than the DS (which is why I went DS instead of Evoque in the first place). Some minor differences in displays (they definitely paid more attention to interior trim in the Evoque!). The Evoque radio allows scanning from preset to preset! I know, right?! I wonder if this is because the Evoque has the Meridian radio. Hmmmmm.

At any rate, it confirms my decision to go with the DS. The Evoque is certainly nice, but I prefer the DS.

I'll let you know the results of the service call.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, picked up the car yesterday - finally! Seems the biggest issue was replacing the climate blower motor (humming noise - apparently due to the fan getting out of balance and rubbing on the shroud). That took days since they had to tear apart the dash on the passenger side to get to it! I was very concerned that all would not be right when done. But, have to say very pleased with their work. No squeaks, noises, anything and everything works. Plus, good news, they didn't have to disconnect the battery to do it, so didn't lose any settings, etc.!:D

They also took care of various updates/recalls (including powertrain). Have to say, though it is hard to tell after having driven an Evoque for week, that the DS drives/accelerates better than it did (not significant, but better). Seems smoother, not as 4-cylinder "rappy" - if you know what I mean - comes up on turbo easier. Quite pleased. Have to say, I much prefer the DS, especially now, over the Evoque.:laugh:

Unfortunately, none of the updates included the infotainment system, at least radio/satellite, so no changes there regarding scanning through presets, etc.:(

I'll have to wait and see when (if) the weather gets really cold again whether the problem I took it in for recurs!

Reactions: bluebowtie67

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well, 16 degrees yesterday (and today) in Texas - very cold for here - which created my first issue. Yesterday when starting out all seemed normal until I tried to accelerate. No power, no response, just chugged along - also sounded a bit "rappy". This went on until the car got really warmed up. Even then, seemed just a bit off. Felt like fuel flow issues, though with electronics could be just about anything.

So, this morning I remote start the car to warm up before heading off. Now the check engine light is on, though the car seems to run normally (though I really didn't push it).

I was just in Colorado for 4 days in some stupid cold weather and in altitude. The Disco ran perfectly.
However, when we were there last February, its still ran fine but I did get a check engine light. When I got home they had to replace a fuel rail. But people have reported similar circumstances (cold weather, check engine light) but with various issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I haven't driven mine yet in below 30 degrees but with a turbo, I always let it warm up to operating temp before driving off and haven't had any issues yet. I turn off my sign recognition so i can see my temp gauge. I also must be lucky since I don't have any of the posted issues so far with my 16 Disco. Got 8000 miles so hopefully nothing shows up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No issues here in the cold weather. It went as low as -20 C (-4 F) on our trip over Christmas with the DS parked outside and it fired up perfectly every morning and drove off happily with my fingers and bum getting toasty hot from the heated seats and steering wheel! This car has turned out to be a great winter car so far.

And btw, we never let it idle to warm up either. Just let the revs settle to around 1,500 (takes about 15-20 seconds) and drive off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully my issue was a one off, and has been dealt with in service (definitely not a turbo warm-up issue - had another turbo car and didn't have to warm it up during cold weather). It's been cold-ish here lately (about 30 F), and no issues with no engine warm up before setting off - and do love the bun warms and heated steering wheel! Can't have them on for long though - get too warm!

·
Registered
26 Posts

I find the same issue (mine the CEL), when its cold here, I get down to -40C some days which is essentially the same as F. so brutally cold (Northern Ontario). I have to say that "rasp" and groan the car does seems to be "normal" with turbo'd engines, so I never thought anything of it really nor with my old vehicles that were N/A. I let the car warm right up before driving it But I have installed a block heater recently to assist with starting in the morning make sure your screen is turned off on the displays (LCD's don't like cold either). I understand that most that are from Texas/ Australia, etc. don't really get cold, and the vehicles/engines, won't be as responsive driving them soon after a cold start. In ANY case, seems to be normal what you are experiencing just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as I usually am in colder climate from sept/oct- ~ May.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I face the same issue now, at 20-30 degrees in MA, the DS is chocking in the first 2 minutes of driving almost every morning.
I had the same exact behaviour last year with the check engine light following it after few times - went to the dealer and they identified missfire of the cylinders (2 & 4) but could not find back then the root cause - after investigting for 2 weeks....
I'm now seating patiently waiting for the light to come on again and brining it back to the dealership for another 2 weeks of time waste :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened. -18F at lake placid this past weekend. Engine light went on. The a triangle symbol with “!” saying “performance is limited”. No acceleration floored the gas peddle and couldn’t make it up hills on highway. Rpm stayed at under 2k and mph dropped from 60 to 30 mph on highway!

Eventually got back to NYC temps warmed back up to 25F. Shut car then restarted and warning lights off now. Then it said coolant low. I topped off with LR coolant mixture. And now everything back to normal. I figure a Discovery Sport could take extreme temps. Guess not. Will be bringing in to Service Dealer to get in checked out. NOT impressed with Disco Sport in extreme cold. Sorry

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
360 Posts
I face the same issue now, at 20-30 degrees in MA, the DS is chocking in the first 2 minutes of driving almost every morning.
I had the same exact behaviour last year with the check engine light following it after few times - went to the dealer and they identified missfire of the cylinders (2 & 4) but could not find back then the root cause - after investigting for 2 weeks....
I'm now seating patiently waiting for the light to come on again and brining it back to the dealership for another 2 weeks of time waste :(

Last summer I had the check engine light come on (no difference in Driving) and I checked it with a code reader and found a misfire has well on number 2 cylinder. When I finally got the car in to the shop they found codes for misfires on number 2 and 4,,,hmmm same as yours. They also reported low fuel pressure to the injectors. So after a long wait they changed out 2 injectors (they said that Bosch had a run of bad injectors) and a connecting hose. Car ran fine before the code came up but after the repair it is quicker and revs faster and the turbo boost seems more linear.

Car seems to be getting slightly better fuel consumption, at least it is not worse:eek: Ironically the onboard computer was always 14% optimistic now it is over18% optimistic. Will have to go on a trip of 1000 km to really see

Since the repair my start/stop does not work,most likely they disconnected something while working, which makes my wife very happy. I guess I should bring it in to have it fixed before warranty is up in case there is something major wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FirenziRed, the low power sounds similar to an issue I had with my 2018 at only 3,000 miles, and it was warm and sea level. I just posted a video of it with the other basics in the description. I think there's a trend here.. My dealer told me there was supposed to be a software update released by Nov 2018 to fix turbo/transmission issues.. nothing yet.

Video:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts