Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 2017 HSE is only a few months old and now the auto start/stop does not work. The car is warm enough, not cold outside. No climate control or heated/cooled seats. No radio or Bluetooth is on and it wont work. Basically it should be working. Its definatley activated. Try switching on/off. It used to work all the time.

Any insite before I take it in to be looked at?
Thanks!
JMH

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had the same issue. They "corrected" it and it worked for 2 days. Then stopped again. They replaced my battery and it has been working ever since.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The AUX battery is probably not holding a proper charge.

The main battery is not what the ECU senses for auto start/stop.

Mine has not been working since it got the newest programming last year...

No complaints - I don't like the Auto Start Stop feature.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This feature is very temperamental. There are too many variables that have to be in place for this to actually work. I have had my DS in several times for this. Basically it works when it works. Mine came on this morning but now for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discovered (no pun intended) something recently - the auto stop/start will NOT work if you are in Sport Mode and using the paddle shifts (Command Shift).

Was at a stop light last night in Sport/Command Mode and noticed that auto stop had not engaged (expected it to). Switched gears to normal drive - off she went. Back to Sport, engage paddle shift - started right back up (didn't start up if I just went to Sport mode). Tried it a couple of times with same result. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discovered (no pun intended) something recently - the auto stop/start will NOT work if you are in Sport Mode and using the paddle shifts (Command Shift).

Was at a stop light last night in Sport/Command Mode and noticed that auto stop had not engaged (expected it to). Switched gears to normal drive - off she went. Back to Sport, engage paddle shift - started right back up (didn't start up if I just went to Sport mode). Tried it a couple of times with same result. Hmmmm.
I think if you look at the manual it states that if a gear is selected manually the start/stop is disengaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had it not worked for the entire first year(thought I was not using the vehicle enough to the extent of eco-driving range), anyway the 1 year maintenance time came up and during the service I commented about the auto stop fuction not working. The service was mainly for my battery died- they eventually replaced it into a new one and so far like for 5 months, the funtion has been working 100%.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine seemed to have gone on strike over the summer months and then inexplicably started to function OK for a couple of weeks before giving up again! I found today that merely by switching off the heater fan the auto stop/start came to life!
Trying with the fan on its first lowest setting, the auto stop/start remained working and was functioning OK as the fan speed was selected to 2nd rate of knots. 3rd setting = Good, 4th setting = Good, 5th setting and the system went on strike.

Now setting out to see if the battery is at a critical low voltage though all other electricals seem to function well enough!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd love it if my Auto Start/Stop didn't work. Hate it.
There's no use for it in my area. 5 stop lights in the whole area.

With only 5 lights it should not be a problem, try it it heavy traffic.

But my wife hates it as well so I pushed the button for the stop/start in and held it, then very backyard mechanic I jammed a small bit of wood beside the switch to hold it.No more start/stop!

Wood fell out and the start/stop now works sometimes. But will fit a classier looking black plastic shim in place. Maybe disable the eco button as well. LOL

Start stop/start is fine except for a few exceptions. When it is hot and the A/C starts car seconds after the engine shuts down , when it is raining and steam covers the windshield when car starts , on a steep hill and after a high speed drive the engine shuts off before the turbo has a chance to cool off.

I notice no difference in fuel consumption:crying:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that the aux battery has died and that the auto start/stop has stopped functioning. Keep Calm and Carry On with life without it.

It is a useless feature that has been proven to 1)Not save fuel (despite LR's claims) and 2)Cause undue wear and tear on the engine. My starter failed during stop mode and prevented the engine from re-starting and left me stranded in the middle lane on the I-5 in LA during morning rush hour. The constant starting/stopping wore out the starter, which was of course covered by warranty, but on top of missing work that day, I was left in a VERY DANGEROUS situation in traffic, with no way of moving the vehicle out of harms way for 3 hours. The car was unable to be switched into neutral, and a tow truck ended up dragging the car off the road with all 4 wheels locked in place.

My situation was bad, but at some point, this will cause a death for someone else. JLR will then need to reconsider faking CAFE mpg claims after the lawsuit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts