Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having an odd issue with my 2018 Discovery Sport. I've only had the car a month, but have had the issue show up within days of purchasing. Every now and then, it reports that the tailgate is open; to which its obviously not. The issue comes and goes. When it happens, the cabin lights turn on, and I get an error on the dash. Its more of an annoyance than anything. But it can be problematic when I go to lock the car. If it thinks the tailgate is open, it wont lock the car. And then even worse, if it thinks the tailgate is open, I cant actually open the tailgate. If it thinks it open, it wont throw the lock. And if it wont throw the lock, I cant open the tailgate. (Hole in the bucket kind of problem). Seems to resolve if I push the tailgate kind of hard. Or it goes away on its own. Its pretty random.

Its a CPO, and is warranted for a couple more years. I took it to the dealership a couple of weeks ago. Initially they couldnt find the problem. I told them the problem happens very randomly. They asked if they could then keep it overnight, and check it the next day. I agreed. Initially they still couldnt find a problem, but later in the day, they did have the issue occur. They agreed to replace the latch; which they did on Friday.

It seemed to be fine until today. Suddenly today it basically happened al day long. Even hard pushes on the tailgate didnt want to resolve it. And then the damndest thing happened. I noticed the error would come on if I pressed the brakes, and go out the second I took my foot off the brakes. Press the brakes; error message on. Off the brakes, error message gone. I took video of it while it was happening. I drove over to the dealer while it was happening, so I could show at least someone the issue while it occured. Luckily the gentleman who sold me the car was there, and he confirmed what I was seeing. Service is obviously closed over the weekend.

At the end of the day, the car is warranted. But, the problem is pretty strange to say the least. I'm mostly curious if anyone on this forum has ever seen this before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it's happening all the time now, it should at least be easier for them to trace down the problem. Something like this could easily be a corroded wiring connector, or broken/shorted wires. Usually harder to find than fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's happening all the time now, it should at least be easier for them to trace down the problem. Something like this could easily be a corroded wiring connector, or broken/shorted wires. Usually harder to find than fix.
i was thinking it could be a wire shorting. And I’d bet the wire is inside the tailgate, which is why the action of pushing on hard (as if you’re closing it) tends to temporarily resolve it.
No idea how it’s correlated to pressing the brakes. But I have to assume that the faulty wire is tied to one or both of those items in the tailgate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Following up. Dealership found a ground wire inside the tailgate that was loose. I picked it up yesterday, and have not had the issue happen again. I'd say if I dont see the error again for about a week, its probably resolved. If I dont reply back to this post, you can assume this resolved it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts