Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I leave in Alberta, Canada, and would like to buy a cover to protect my DS when it will be parked at night outside. I have checked on internet and there is a huge amount of choices. Any advices?

Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm guessing the no responses are likely due to the thought "Why on earth would you want to do that?". Especially in Alberta with the wind, cold and snow / ice, all of which is conducive to paint scratches or chaffing from the cover. Is it the sun or snow you're worried about? Can you quonset it?

The most often I've seen car covers in use is parkades or garages to keep the dust off on infrequently used cars.

Hello,

I leave in Alberta, Canada, and would like to buy a cover to protect my DS when it will be parked at night outside. I have checked on internet and there is a huge amount of choices. Any advices?

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

It won't be parked every days outside. Something like ~2 nights per week, maybe 3 in some rare instances. And yes, the cover is to protect it from what you described. Most of the time it will be parked in a garage or a parkade. Land Rover sells a all-weather product and I was woundering if it is worth it (ref. VPLCC0103)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But at the light of what you say, I am better just without if I have to leave it at night outside couple days a week?

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Wait until you get a heavy snow storm or worse yet an ice storm and try to get the cover off!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I lived in AB for 12 years. Look around your 'hood, guessing no one else does it! IMO it's not worth the hassle but for long term, preferably indoor, storage, as happens to many Landys that sit as second, third, fourth or x cars.

Instead sun shields to protect from the harsh Albertan sun in summer. Use the Landy Remote app to warm it up for winter. Save the cover money and use that for the inevitable cracked wind screens.

But at the light of what you say, I am better just without if I have to leave it at night outside couple days a week?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair enough, and yes you are right, with some odd exceptions no one outside seems to cover his car.
As you lived in Alberta, was it a mistake to purchase a DS? How many times your windshield cracked? Is it related to their windshield heating feature?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
(to Bill F)
Good point, yeah, it is a bad idea after all. You are in BC, the winters are a bit warmer, are you satisfied with your DS? Have you had any bad experiences due to winter conditions?
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
(to Bill F)
Good point, yeah, it is a bad idea after all. You are in BC, the winters are a bit warmer, are you satisfied with your DS? Have you had any bad experiences due to winter conditions?
Thank you

Lots of ice and snow last winter and no problems at all. The heated steering wheel that I thought was a little overkill is a pleasant surprise. Since we have lots of cold damp weather I have the front and rear electric defrosters set to start automatically and the windshield never fogs up unlike every other car I have owned. Car also heats up faster than other cars so heat is almost automatic, but then the coldest we had last winter was maybe -15 c

I think that dinkledorf was referring to the many rocks on all your roads causing broken windshields>:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
We love the DS, faults and all. It's a unique package, styling, and seat comfort. We moved from AB however I imagine it's just as good there as anywhere.

Chips in shields and paint are endemic to AB roads due to variable conditions and salt / grit accumulation. A lot of motorcyclists or sports cars won't drive until the last road sweep of the "spring". For that reason + others prior, save your money on the cover.

Fair enough, and yes you are right, with some odd exceptions no one outside seems to cover his car.
As you lived in Alberta, was it a mistake to purchase a DS? How many times your windshield cracked? Is it related to their windshield heating feature?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts