Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in my DS today in the morning....music started to play from my USB Stick - all files are FLAC...nicely grouped in folders as they were all ripped from CDs.

I listen to an album (folder) and see that the picture of the album cover is wrong....it's actually that of another album.... Then I look at the playlist and it is all random stuff.... HOWEVER, the strangest thing is that I am listening to tracks on the original selected album - as they should be playing... in the right order....I skip to next track - which is listed as completely different song from a different album but the actual audio is of the correct track of the album initially started.

I looked around the settings.... everything seems OK and I didn't select random play or anything like that.... I turn on and off the system a few times.... no difference.
I actually selected a different album and the same thing happens.... The actual tracks from that album are being played but the display shows completely different info... artist, title, picture - are all wrong....
I park my car... turn it on and off.... go do some shopping...come back 20 min later....same issue...

I am at home home - checking the USB stick in my computer and don't see any issues...checked it for errors and Windows finds nothing wrong.
Will go to my car in a bit and try again but ....wow...is this weird or what ???

Anyone else experience anything like that ??

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This morning inserted the USB stick back and everything was OK....for about 20 min.... then I changed the folder /album and same problem came back.... Album cover art is wrong...song titles are wrong...artist info wrong....but the player is playing the actual songs from the album I selected.....go figure.

If JLR can't get media software right.....God help everyone who will rely on self-driving cars in 10 yrs....

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use my 16GB USB stick a lot but it's loaded with WAV and MP3 files.
Never had any issues with those files.
The files are not in any folders but that may help with organization ?

Try loading a USB stick with MP3 or WAV files ???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FLAC is supported format and I have had this USB stick with all the files for about 4 months now with no issues.... this just came out of nowhere and is so weird.
I hate to be scheduling a visit to the dealer with this but the problem is really f...ing annoying.... to see wrong info displayed while listening to music...Clearly a software issue for the decoder
This isn't some latest and innovative functionality.... decoding digital files of music has been executed flawlessly for many years now in many different brands of vehicles....not to mention things like iPods...which is ancient technology by today's standards.

I wonder...are you guys aware of some sort of Master rest for the media system ?
Maybe that will help....if not will call the dealership and see if they can reset it w/o making an appointment and leaving the vehicle overnight...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meant to say.....is there a Master RESET for the media system.....or the entire Infoteinment

thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more investigation on my issue.... wasn't able to connect with JLR yet but confirmed that the USB stick size supported is up to 128Gig and must be formatted as FAT32....which is a bit weird...I think FAT32 biggest partition is 8Gig...Any latest stick that are larger size, should be exFAT...which 'should" be backward compatible with FAT32 but ...

Anyone would be so nice as to check how is your USB stick formatted - would like to know the overall size...the allocation unit size (block size) and file type (FAT32 vs exFAT)

Thank you!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE..... (based on my experimentation with multiple USB sticks and different formatting software).

So I determined that even though JLR claims they support up to 128Gig USB sticks...there is an issue of sort...
Windows cannot format any USB stick above 32Gig with FAT32 - which is recommended by JLR...instead, it will format as exFAT - which should be compatible but seems that eventually this will corrupt and mess up your files in the media player....

You can download free software that does hard drive partition / management and use them to format your 128Gig stick using FAT32 file system.
Seems that makes the media player in our Disco work better and not get all f-d up.

If you have memory stick = 32 or less....no worries.....never a problem
with anything bigger - you may start seeing some issues with the info that is being displayed or even playback (i.e. sometimes the media won't play at all...sometimes you get the file names wrong)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts