Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

So I did some offroad driving with my daughter yesterday in my 2020 LR Discovery Sport S, and much to my embarrassment, got stuck in the mud. Changing the drive terrain settings did very little and low terrain launch didn't help.

It took two (2) tow trucks, relatively sizeable towing bill, and call to my wife to get our daughter. Using stock tires (i know "what an idiot") so trying to learn from my mistakes.

Looking for a A/T tire that I can use 365 days. Obviously some light off-roading but mostly street. Live in NJ so winter/snow is coming.... I see on Tirerack the following AT:

YOKOHAMA
GEOLANDAR A/T G015

good ratings. 8.5/10 out of 217 reviews

FALKEN
WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL

no rating.

·
Super Moderator
515 Posts
The Yokohama is classified as an All Weather tire in Canada so it should be good in snow.

All Weather is different than All Season.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Yokohama is classified as an All Weather tire in Canada so it should be good in snow.

All Weather is different than All Season.
Thanks for your reply, BIll.

Any other suggestions in tire you may have? Those were the only two (2) options listed on TireRack but not sure if there are better that can be sourced from a different retailer.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S on my 2018 Disco Sport.

I know... I know.. It’s an “All Season” not an A/T tire, but...

I couldn’t find an A/T tire that fit the 20” wheels when I was searching. I’m a pretty loyal fan of BFG and wanted the BFG A/T KO2. I had the KO2’s on my old 4Runner, but they didn’t make ‘em to fit the 20” Disco wheels. So, I went with the best BFG A/S tire I could find instead.

So far, I love them. I really push my DS hard on the highway and through winding country roads, and the tires are really holding up well to my abuse so far. They have also done well on some old forest service roads with moderate technical portions, and have handled the snow around Lake Tahoe well. They’ve even made a few water crossings about 1-1.5ft deep over rocks like a breeze (see photo attached of said crossing). I have also towed a 3,600lb travel trailer and a 3,900lb trailer about 1,500 miles each and had no issues - tires or otherwise.

I bought these mostly for highway driving, though, as I drive 100mile round trip to work every day, and I really like the way they handle through the twisty bits.

Here’s a link to the Tire Rack review/comparison of them with some other tires.. there’s 2 video reviews in there, as well.

Hope this info helps! Just what I went with after a lot of research (and a bias towards BFG).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S on my 2018 Disco Sport.

I know... I know.. It’s an “All Season” not an A/T tire, but...

I couldn’t find an A/T tire that fit the 20” wheels when I was searching. I’m a pretty loyal fan of BFG and wanted the BFG A/T KO2. I had the KO2’s on my old 4Runner, but they didn’t make ‘em to fit the 20” Disco wheels. So, I went with the best BFG A/S tire I could find instead.

So far, I love them. I really push my DS hard on the highway and through winding country roads, and the tires are really holding up well to my abuse so far. They have also done well on some old forest service roads with moderate technical portions, and have handled the snow around Lake Tahoe well. They’ve even made a few water crossings about 1-1.5ft deep over rocks like a breeze (see photo attached of said crossing). I have also towed a 3,600lb travel trailer and a 3,900lb trailer about 1,500 miles each and had no issues - tires or otherwise.

I bought these mostly for highway driving, though, as I drive 100mile round trip to work every day, and I really like the way they handle through the twisty bits.

Here’s a link to the Tire Rack review/comparison of them with some other tires.. there’s 2 video reviews in there, as well.

Hope this info helps! Just what I went with after a lot of research (and a bias towards BFG).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would stay away from Geolander tires. I had them a few years ago, and they were terrible in snow. I had BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT tires on an LR2, and plan to get them for my Jeep GC. Also looking at Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Everyone,

So I did some offroad driving with my daughter yesterday in my 2020 LR Discovery Sport S, and much to my embarrassment, got stuck in the mud. Changing the drive terrain settings did very little and low terrain launch didn't help.

It took two (2) tow trucks, relatively sizeable towing bill, and call to my wife to get our daughter. Using stock tires (i know "what an idiot") so trying to learn from my mistakes.

Looking for a A/T tire that I can use 365 days. Obviously some light off-roading but mostly street. Live in NJ so winter/snow is coming.... I see on Tirerack the following AT:

YOKOHAMA
GEOLANDAR A/T G015

FALKEN
WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL

no rating.
Hi Matt, I have been driving on General Grabbers AT3 235/60 R18 for about two years and they are great on and off road. Good for mud and beach driving. Maybe a bit hard onroad, but not noisy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Matt, I have been driving on General Grabbers AT3 235/60 R18 for about two years and they are great on and off road. Good for mud and beach driving. Maybe a bit hard onroad, but not noisy.
thanks for the info...will look into those too!

·
Registered
55 Posts
thanks for the info...will look into those too!
Curious... what size wheels are on your 2020? I had one for a rental during a service earlier in the year but I forgot to look at the clearance on the new models to see if it’s any different.

I keep debating switching to a smaller wheel with thicker rubber for off-roading, but I’m still hesitant because of the way I fling this thing through the corners on pavement.

Wonder if anyone else with the 20” has tried/found they could fit a thicker tire on without rubbing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curious... what size wheels are on your 2020? I had one for a rental during a service earlier in the year but I forgot to look at the clearance on the new models to see if it’s any different.

I keep debating switching to a smaller wheel with thicker rubber for off-roading, but I’m still hesitant because of the way I fling this thing through the corners on pavement.

Wonder if anyone else with the 20” has tried/found they could fit a thicker tire on without rubbing issues.

235/60R18. looking to use the same LR wheels that came with the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
235/60R18. looking to use the same LR wheels that came with the car.
Ah, you’ll have a ton of options, then.

If I had the smaller wheels and wanted grippy tires, I’d absolutely go with the BFG A/T KO2. They seem to be the new favorite tire of every lifted pickup truck around town (and are pricey), but there’s a reason for it.

I had them on my 4Runner and they were absolutely amazing off road in all conditions and in the snow on/off road. On the Highway they had good grip, too, but my complaint would be I had the “E” load rating, so the sidewalls were super stiff and resulted in a bit more “top heavy feel” going through corners.

I’ve heard the Grabbers are great off road, but I don’t have experience with them. I work for a fire dept and recently the fleet’s pickup trucks started switching from the Goodyear Wranglers to the BFG A/T KO2’s because the general complaint was the Wranglers were great, but were too soft and wore rapidly, becoming louder the more they wore, also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, you’ll have a ton of options, then.

If I had the smaller wheels and wanted grippy tires, I’d absolutely go with the BFG A/T KO2. They seem to be the new favorite tire of every lifted pickup truck around town (and are pricey), but there’s a reason for it.

I had them on my 4Runner and they were absolutely amazing off road in all conditions and in the snow on/off road. On the Highway they had good grip, too, but my complaint would be I had the “E” load rating, so the sidewalls were super stiff and resulted in a bit more “top heavy feel” going through corners.

I’ve heard the Grabbers are great off road, but I don’t have experience with them. I work for a fire dept and recently the fleet’s pickup trucks started switching from the Goodyear Wranglers to the BFG A/T KO2’s because the general complaint was the Wranglers were great, but were too soft and wore rapidly, becoming louder the more they wore, also.

thank you!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Everyone,

YOKOHAMA
GEOLANDAR A/T G015

FALKEN
WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL

no rating.
I have the Geolanders and they are great

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi! I've had great luck with my Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60-R18. Fit great on the stock 18" wheels with no spacers. IF I'm turning hard, I get a touch of rub, but not dreadful or debilitating.
I also have the Ebach springs, but had the tires almost a year before the suspension, and they worked great then too. These pictures are crap but that's what I have available. Hope it helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: I ended up going with the Geolandar's and had them installed a day before the storm in the Northeast. Took the car on a few off-roading trips and very pleased! Handled the snow like a champ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the Washington State and wanted something to be able to go in sand, snow and dirt. I own a 2016 Disco Sport HSE Lux, 2-3-2 seater. Swapped the stock 20's and ended up buying 255/55/R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires and went with VOX Falco 18x8 for wheels. Couldn't be happier.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
good experiences in snow and light offroading??
I'm in Queensland, Australia mate so no snow ever here! But yes, beach and shaley, rocky tracks have been great. I get out regularly with a local owners club and loving them (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts