Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just purchased a new 2019 Discovery Sport HSE that was a dealer demonstrator. I've noticed that after the car warms up that the fan is very loud. Didn't notice this on the test drive.

From searching another forum, it appears that this could be water pump related? However, the engine temp remains normal. Has anyone had this issue?

I'm going to stop by the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. Otherwise, I really like this little SUV!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had them replace my water pump for the same reason. 2019 with engine fan running more than it should. Found a LR TSB by searching LR123392 failure

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Stopped by the dealership and scheduled an appointment to get this taken care of. This seems to be fairly common. The service advisor was aware of the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone! Just purchased a new 2019 Discovery Sport HSE that was a dealer demonstrator. I've noticed that after the car warms up that the fan is very loud. Didn't notice this on the test drive.

From searching another forum, it appears that this could be water pump related? However, the engine temp remains normal. Has anyone had this issue?

I'm going to stop by the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. Otherwise, I really like this little SUV!
My fan has started making a loud noise also. I am concerned because I have had it in the shop three times for low coolant. Needless to say, I bought it a year ago and it has been in the shop over 7 times for different issues. I am taking mine tomorrow for the fan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fan has started making a loud noise also. I am concerned because I have had it in the shop three times for low coolant. Needless to say, I bought it a year ago and it has been in the shop over 7 times for different issues. I am taking mine tomorrow for the fan.
Mine is just running fast. I haven't noticed any coolant-related issues. No warning lights and my temp gauge is normal. There is a TSB for this issue and the dealer is taking care of it next week. I've only had the car for a week and everything else is fine. The fan noise is more annoying than anything. It hasn't given me any cause for concern at this point. I'm driving the car normally.

What year is yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is just running fast. I haven't noticed any coolant-related issues. No warning lights and my temp gauge is normal. There is a TSB for this issue and the dealer is taking care of it next week. I've only had the car for a week and everything else is fine. The fan noise is more annoying than anything. It hasn't given me any cause for concern at this point. I'm driving the car normally.

What year is yours?
Mine is a 2019. I bought it in 2019 and it has 24,000 miles on it now. I don't have warning lights and temp gauge is at normal also. I agree, the fan noise is very annoying. I hope this will be the only issue you have with yours. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy yours from?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is a 2019. I bought it in 2019 and it has 24,000 miles on it now. I don't have warning lights and temp gauge is at normal also. I agree, the fan noise is very annoying. I hope this will be the only issue you have with yours. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy yours from?
I bought mine at the Land Rover dealer in Knoxville, TN. Mine has 7K miles on it. It was a service loaner, but got a very good price and 0% financing. I did spring for the extended warranty for peace of mind.

Our sales person was very good about making sure I brought the car in to get it checked out. I emailed him that evening and he responded immediately.

In fact, I had to wait a couple of days before I went to the dealer because I had a crazy work week.

Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have never heard the fan running when I am in the car even when driving in hot weather in the mountains. Once or twice the fan is running at high speed when I get out of the car but never heard it inside. The temperature gauge is very stable summer and winter..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never heard the fan running when I am in the car even when driving in hot weather in the mountains. Once or twice the fan is running at high speed when I get out of the car but never heard it inside. The temperature gauge is very stable summer and winter..
JPC240Z found a TSB for this issue, LR123392 failure. I can't hear the fan inside the car, but it's quite loud if you step outside while the engine is running. I believe that something related to the water pump is "tricking" the fan into thinking that the engine needs extra cooling, hence the TSB. After running the car, even for an extended period, I can't feel any excessive heat coming from the engine compartment and the engine temp reading is normal.

I'm not concerned about driving the car, it's just something to get sorted out.

I'm really happy with the Disco. I was considering a Porsche Macan, but when I saw a couple of the common repairs (transfer case, timing chain cover) and basic maintenance costs, I ended up going with the Land Rover. I know LR isn't cheap, but it shouldn't be Porsche expensive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the Disco in to address the fan issue. Just got a call from the service department that mine is one of the 10% that will need the water pump replaced. Originally, they thought a software flash would solve the issue. So, the part is on order and the car should be ready tomorrow of the day after. In the meantime, we get to drive an Evoque for a couple of days, so not a bad trade off. My daughter is thrilled that we get to keep the Evoque for a couple of days. I’ve never seen someone so happy to hear a water pump needs replaced!

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's good if there was a problem. One time had an Evoque fully loaded and it was very nice. last time they dropped a super charged Jag at my house for a loaner, and never wanted the Disco back.LOL
After reading your post I paid attention to my fan and it is less noisier than most cars I have owned. Nice to be in the majority for once.

Let's hope for your daughters sake the repair takes a long time(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's good if there was a problem. One time had an Evoque fully loaded and it was very nice. last time they dropped a super charged Jag at my house for a loaner, and never wanted the Disco back.LOL
After reading your post I paid attention to my fan and it is less noisier than most cars I have owned. Nice to be in the majority for once.

Let's hope for your daughters sake the repair takes a long time(y)(y)(y)
I’m glad it’s a part needing replaced, rather than chasing a software issue. When the car first starts up, it’s very quiet. The fan seems to get noisy after the car has been on 5-10 minutes. Even when the fan is running on high, I don’t hear any noise in the cabin.

Our loaner Evoque has a fabric seats ( which I believe are a sustainability option), a blackout package and a few other bells and whistles. It’s definitely not a bottom-level base trim.

My daughter would be absolutely thrilled if the Disco was in the shop for a month!!:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just picked up the Disco Sport. Everything is nice and quiet. The excessive fan noise is gone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that was short. Got the car back on Monday afternoon and now I got a low coolant warning when driving on Tuesday evening. Checked the reservoir and the coolant level is already about 1/2 inch below the minimum mark.

Guess I’ll be calling the dealer again.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi just add a small amount of water. Anytime you work on the cooling sytem it takes a while for all the air to bleed out. My low coolant came on a few months after I got the car, added around 200 ml and warning has never come back. Or you can spend a day at the dealership.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi just add a small amount of water. Anytime you work on the cooling sytem it takes a while for all the air to bleed out. My low coolant came on a few months after I got the car, added around 200 ml and warning has never come back. Or you can spend a day at the dealership.
I added some distilled water and took the car for a drive. No low coolant light, so hopefully that should do it. I’ll check it in the morning just to make sure it didn’t lose any additional coolant overnight.

Edited to add: Is there a particular coolant/antifreeze recommended by Land Rover? I do have some ”Peak” brand 50/50, but wasn’t sure if I should add that particular brand. So, I erred on the side of caution and used distilled water.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not sure how your water supply is but I just used good old tap water, fresh from the mountains. Should be good to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure how your water supply is but I just used good old tap water, fresh from the mountains. Should be good to go.
We have relatively “hard” water where I live in Tennessee (not too far from the mountains myself) , so that’s why I stopped by Target and picked up a jug of distilled water.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I added some distilled water and took the car for a drive. No low coolant light, so hopefully that should do it. I’ll check it in the morning just to make sure it didn’t lose any additional coolant overnight.

Edited to add: Is there a particular coolant/antifreeze recommended by Land Rover? I do have some ”Peak” brand 50/50, but wasn’t sure if I should add that particular brand. So, I erred on the side of caution and used distilled water.
My manual for the 2020 says "Mixture of 50% water and 50% antifreeze meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.651.5003." Which isn't very helpful. Googling that spec doesn't help much either, just shows quotes of the line above.

Reactions: Disco1
1 - 20 of 20 Posts