Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would post some pictures of the DS with the new spring kit. Wheels and tires have been installed since Feb 2019. Eibach spring kit definitely increases the ground clearance and ride height. Data from Eibach says 30mm front, rear but it looks and feels more than that to me. The springs have a higher spring rate (firmer) than stock and you can feel it on the road. On and off road performance is hugely improved when fully loaded with 3ppl, full roof rack, and gear for a long weekend. No sag at the rear when loaded as I had on the OEM springs. The springs are not tuned to the dampers however but it's only noticeable on rebound on the fronts over quick impulse bumps such as short+tall speed bump, or similar feature on-trail.

We had it off road in the Mojave desert for a shakedown. Super capable in this configuration and no issues at all with ground clearance along the entirety of the Mojave Road (Old Gov.t Road). We did over 100mi off road including spurs with widely varying terrain: rocks, sand, ruts, washboard, whoops.

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport HSE, 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee
81 Posts
Looks like a great setup. What size tires are you running? I like those Falkens but unfortunately I have many miles left on the OEM Pirellis.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ksu499 Thanks! The tires are 255/65 R17 FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W. They're very good a capable. Next time around I'll probably go with something a little narrower (for fuel economy) and a little taller (for clearance), maybe 245/70R17. Getting new wheels is a great excuse for new tires. I did wait to change our wheels and tires after the OEMS were mostly used up though...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@AriVqz I cannot speak for @ksu499 but I had mine installed by an independent shop that specializes in LR. The owner is a trained factory tech and he did the work. I had competing quotes from two independent LR shops. Both quoted me approximately the same for the install (~$1200 for all four corners). One also suggested a realignment after the install (+$200) which I went with. I'm not sure where you are located. These are SoCal prices.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did the installation myself, but it's definitely not a DIY job if you're not well versed with LR's engineering philosophy of making every mechanical component over-engineered and hard to get to.

The rear multi link had to be partially disassembled and wheel hub rotated down to even be able to fit two spring compressors on the spring (which barely got the job done). Most springs in the same orientation could be compressed and removed with just the suspension at full extension. The hardest part was aligning everything back together with tension of the spring forcing everything apart.

The fronts are a different story altogether. A lot of hammering, jacking, and lubrication. This video helped a lot, and this is the non-LR approved method. The sketchiness only begins to describe how much work the alternative method would've been (involves removing the front brake calipers, half shaft from the transmission, and disconnecting the tie rod): https://youtu.be/A2b8J315KWs. It would be easier with air tools, but even with the TOPIX manuals, this was a pain to do. Not to mention, the spring compressors were inadequate to complete the job, and I ended up having to take it to a shop to compress the springs back into the shock unit.

$1200 sounds very fair in hindsight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got it, thanks. I’m in Long Island NY, so I think the price range will be about the same. Luckily I know the shop that can handle this type of work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts