Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a long-time LR owner and I leased a 2017 Discovery Sport last year. From the start I had issues. Without going into all of the issues, as some have been addressed, I did have a few questions for the group.

Are the Sports supposed to:

Vibrate extensively/shake when both driving and in park?
Stall when shifting from Reverse to Drive?
Buck consistently when driving at steady speeds?
Rev up to 6k RPMs when stepping on the gas and then get stuck there and not move?

I bring all of these up because my dealer has said these are all expected and normal outcomes from this car. Because they do not show up in diagnostic tests there is nothing they can do. Yet when I get a Disco Sport loaner each time, I don't experience any of these issues.

I have worked through Land Rover USA and they have said whatever the dealer says is a fact, nothing they can do. If I don't like that outcome, I can contact the Better Business Bureau. Have all of this in writing!

I figured I would reach out to fellow owners for their perspective and any ideas. Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2017 LRDS does none of these. Sometimes in in eco mode on standard drive and at low speeds i notice a slight vibration from the engine and slight lack of power cause its at a lower gear (for fuel efficiency). its not noticeable. and i wouldn't say this is at all related to what you are dealing with.

Your dealer is wrong. what you are experiencing is not normal at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback so far. I agree none of this is normal.

Corporate (US) will not help. This is their response... "I understand that you are frustrated but we are going to stand behind the retailers diagnosis. I would recommend that you reach out to the Better Business Bureau at this juncture." That is how corporate is responding to someone they know has been a customer for 10+ years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have not had any of these issues with my 2016. Your experience is not normal at all. Have you considered taking it to another dealer (Hopefully there is another not too far away) for a second opinion?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just read this a little closer. None of this is normal.
*Everything you describe points to an engine problem like a significant air leak or something. However strange that the dealer is unable to duplicate all of these problems, also they do sound related.
*Is any of this causing your check engine light to illuminate? I would think that all this would be setting emission or sensor codes in the vehicle computer.
*Can you safely video record any of these events to show them proof? (Show the engine RPM while shifting from R to D, show the engine shaking at idle while in park or drive with a friend holding the brake).
*There is a dispute resolution booklet that came with the car, in the same covered book where the manual is located. They tell you to start with the BBB to help resolve the dispute.
*In the dispute resolution booklet there is a section for each state (if you are in the USA). Each state has various consumer rights and some allow for laws that require the dealer to buy back or replace the vehicle.
*If the engine RPM gets stuck at 6K I would say that is a safety problem. I would tell Land Rover you may contact the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) about the potential safety issue. (Again USA).
*If this is causing the check engine light to illuminate you could contact the EPA in your state.

·
Registered
211 Posts
O.M.G. None of that is typical, nor acceptable. I find it unbelievable that the dealer would say that it is common, and even more unbelievable that LR USA is not doing something about it.

I would find another JLR dealer and have them look at the car, and if no success start filing complaints with anyone and everyone who will listen. These cars are certainly not perfect, but c'mon, really?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are super helpful - much appreciated!

I took the suggestion of trying to video the car shaking at the very least. It didn't come out too good (tried showing my hands, putting paper on the steering wheel etc). I will keep trying.

The other items like 6k rpms is so random that I can't willingly replicate it.

The engine light has no come on, but I did have an issue with the auto stop/start not working at all. Likely unrelated, but just another issue with the car.

Taking it to another dealer is definitely the next move.

I had no idea about the dispute resolution booklet, but will be taking a look at that.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
113 Posts
tomca - what was the previous car that you owned ?? What is your driving style ??
I suspect your situation may be a combination of some "normal" DS performance characteristics and your previous experience / driving style.

I don't want to question your experience but it would help if you critically describe the issues you are reporting - as compared to other vehicles.
Not all, but many of the things you are complaining about are same as some other owners will describe, especially if they came from much more performance oriented vehicles and their driving style is somehow aggressive.
I actually would share with you the same observations except that in my case, I recognize them as shortcoming of the vehicle design - not an actual problems with the car.
Try driving the car in S mode - it helps a bit.... I have expressed my opinion here before and after owning the car for barely a year....I am now shopping for another vehicle and will be trading my DS in....never to look back.

Keep in mind this is a heavy SUV with I4 engine and horribly mismatched 9 gear transmission.... in my opinion, the car just sucks and when you add to it some odd and weird issues with the electronics / computer / media center.... the entire experience turned me completely off from this vehicle.....which is a pity as I still feel, the car looks great in and out.

Again - this is just my guess on what may be the "issue" for you and it is based ONLY on my own opinion and experience with this vehicle..... not saying you don't have an actual problem but as others pointed out....with the diagnostics systems available to the dealers - they really should be able to pin point any abnormal acceleration / vibration issues.

Good Luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
This sounds terrible. If they can't spot it with diagnostics or reproduce it with a test drive that could be hard. Invest in a dashcam which will capture footage much more readily than a phone. When these issues happen, grab the dash cam & snag the tachometer etc. Similarly have you tried a OBDII dongle with some snazzy apps to capture readings? Dashcommand is the app you're looking for. When problems recur, ship the footage & OBD data to the dealer.

Lastly - what are the lemon laws like in your state?

Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the continued responses and ideas. To update, I have filed a dispute with the BBB and also have another dealer looking at the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tomca - what was the previous car that you owned ?? What is your driving style ??
I suspect your situation may be a combination of some "normal" DS performance characteristics and your previous experience / driving style.

I don't want to question your experience but it would help if you critically describe the issues you are reporting - as compared to other vehicles.
Not all, but many of the things you are complaining about are same as some other owners will describe, especially if they came from much more performance oriented vehicles and their driving style is somehow aggressive.
I actually would share with you the same observations except that in my case, I recognize them as shortcoming of the vehicle design - not an actual problems with the car.
Try driving the car in S mode - it helps a bit.... I have expressed my opinion here before and after owning the car for barely a year....I am now shopping for another vehicle and will be trading my DS in....never to look back.

Keep in mind this is a heavy SUV with I4 engine and horribly mismatched 9 gear transmission.... in my opinion, the car just sucks and when you add to it some odd and weird issues with the electronics / computer / media center.... the entire experience turned me completely off from this vehicle.....which is a pity as I still feel, the car looks great in and out.

Again - this is just my guess on what may be the "issue" for you and it is based ONLY on my own opinion and experience with this vehicle..... not saying you don't have an actual problem but as others pointed out....with the diagnostics systems available to the dealers - they really should be able to pin point any abnormal acceleration / vibration issues.

Good Luck
These are all very fair points. I previously had an LR4, but was quite familiar with the Disco Sport and knew it would not have the same type of performance. I actually was able to drive a Disco Sport for about a week prior to getting mine. I know there are certain shortcomings, but overall I was quite impressed. The experience I've had with mine is nothing like that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To be honest....those DS seem to be very fussy.... I test drove mine for about 20 min and didn't see anything bad....granted my dealership is off of a busy highway so the drive was relatively uneventful...just doing 50mph and then cruising around the service road..... even for about a week after I took it home, it was a decent experience.... then the more I drove it and pushed it a bit harder, I realized how sluggish the car is...but the biggest problem (at least for me), is not just that the vehicle is slow....but how it tries to compensate by shifting up and down and whatever the heck is trying to do with that transmission program.... seems sometimes like a confused vehicle that doesn't know if it should downshift or shift-up or what not....

I have reset the transmission twice...helped a bit but driving in S all the time is still best solution (not ideal but closer to what I can tolerate)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest....those DS seem to be very fussy.... I test drove mine for about 20 min and didn't see anything bad....granted my dealership is off of a busy highway so the drive was relatively uneventful...just doing 50mph and then cruising around the service road..... even for about a week after I took it home, it was a decent experience.... then the more I drove it and pushed it a bit harder, I realized how sluggish the car is...but the biggest problem (at least for me), is not just that the vehicle is slow....but how it tries to compensate by shifting up and down and whatever the heck is trying to do with that transmission program.... seems sometimes like a confused vehicle that doesn't know if it should downshift or shift-up or what not....

I have reset the transmission twice...helped a bit but driving in S all the time is still best solution (not ideal but closer to what I can tolerate)
I think your explanation is spot on with what these vehicles try to do in terms of the transmission. Makes no sense half the time. Had a new experience today - two different times at traffic lights, the car put itself into park and turned completely off. Sure the dealer will tell me this is the intended performance of the car once again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had no issues with my 2016 and now have close to 50K on it. No vibrations, no rattles, little hesitation due to turbo but I select Sport mode when I know I need to accelerate quickly. I like the car and the 4 wheel drive is pretty good. Now, it's not as good as my Range Rover Sport but it's a lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine has sadly started to vibrate at idle and anytime I come to a complete stop while in drive. Took it in for review and the dealership said the engine from my model year has a vibration and there is nothing they can do to fix it. I find this odd because I have never driven a vehicle in my life that vibrates (feels like rpms are dropping a couple hundred at idle) and all past vehicles have been turbo 4 cylinders.

Off to the next dealership I go for a second opinion. (Mine is a 2017 model year)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All,

Been a while, but not much new to report. I continue to have major issues (several new ones including not moving when in reverse for a good 10 seconds then launching, unable to get the gear into drive etc) and I'm currently working through the BBB resolution process. As part of that, I needed to send a letter to LR corporate citing the Lemon Law and give one final attempt to repair. My list is quite extensive and it just went back to the dealership. Will update on anything that develops.

Side note, I of course have a Disco Sport loaner and it drives nothing like mine (at all!) - such a pleasure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like the lemon law was written just for you! Best of luck getting them to honor that. Keep pushing and get the right representation. We’re all pulling for ya!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi All - I had my BBB Arbitration hearing today. Went a lot smoother than I anticipated which was nice. Land Rover participated over the phone, so it was myself, the arbitrator and a BBB rep in the room. Both sides presented their cases and asked questions/answered questions from the arbitrator. There was an inspection of the vehicle and test drive. Thankfully some of the issues complaints presented themselves during this process. All in all, everyone from each party was really nice and the process was quite pleasant. I now expect to find out the decision from the arbitrator in about three business days. I'm not holding out hope, but I'm glad I went through it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts