Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the differences that are advertised in option packages, etc. I thought we could have an area to note things we see...

I had a 2017 as a loaner the other day and noticed the following:
Gear dial has a rubber coating grip to it now

The gears are now illumunated in Orange as opposed to red

The center screen (between tach and speedometer) now has an oval shape matching that of the Evoque.

Side view mirrors did not automatically fold on locking the vehicle. Not sure if that is a changeable feature... but did not see it.

Global window close is now a choice in the menus. It only works with touching the handle not from the remote.

The vehicle indicator on the GPS is now Red instead of Blue.

The graphic of the vehicle in the center screen is much more detailed.

That's what I have for now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Besides the differences that are advertised in option packages, etc. I thought we could have an area to note things we see...

I had a 2017 as a loaner the other day and noticed the following:

Global window close is now a choice in the menus. It only works with touching the handle not from the remote.
I have the global window close option on my 2015. It only works when touching the door handle and not the remote. I believe this is a requirement in the U.S. for some reason (safety?). I also have global open. That does work from the remote.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Is the navigation the same crappy memory card or has it been improved like the Evoque ?

I have had the Evoque loaner for over a week and love the reliable Nav - turns on each time.

The Disco Sport I have (2016) has the crapshoot 50:50 chance it fails....

·
Registered
211 Posts
DrJJC - Did you check the set up for folding mirrors? I know that it can be changed on the '16.

Also, can you take a photo of the center screen - interested to see the changes there.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Plenty of pictures of the new center screen on the internet---and remember that's only if you get the Entertainment Pack option. If you don't specify the option, everything is like it was before from what I understand. And that Entertainment Pack option is a whopping THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS. SHeesh.

The screen is wider and you have some different displays. Great...$3k. No thanks. haha.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks. No, $3k for an entertainment system isn't where my hard-earned $$$ would go either!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks. No, $3k for an entertainment system isn't where my hard-earned $$$ would go either!
I know what you mean.

For me sound quality isn't that important, as long as I can hear it clearly enough i'm happy and when it comes to LR it has to be better than most of the brands offering mainstream vehicles and coming from those regular mainstream vehicles this DS is more than good enough.

Some people here might find more value in having their interior lined with dynamat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
and common across all 2015-2017 DS vehicles is the B pillar issue.

i will warn everyone, do not ever allow a dealer to perform the TSB hack that prescribes using a hammer & chisel, and even grinding out welds and re-welding with a MIG welder. this hack work will compromise the safety of the vehicle !!

and before anyone buys a DS, know that this B pillar tick is real (as described by the TSB), but not every owner reports this tick, but many have. so before you spend your $$ just be sure you will accept this issue (among a few) that TATA has failed to fix in three production runs of DS !!

download the TSB

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chuck, you've made it clear on multiple posts that your opinion is to not allow Land Rover to implement repairs to the B-pillar as they have outlined. So, what is your recommendation if you happen to have a DS with the B-pillar ticking?:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chuck, you've made it clear on multiple posts that your opinion is to not allow Land Rover to implement repairs to the B-pillar as they have outlined. So, what is your recommendation if you happen to have a DS with the B-pillar ticking?:confused:
i already stated my recommendations:

1) before buying a DS, can you stomach a tick noise coming from B pillar area. chances are there will be a tick. a tick noise that cannot be fixed should be something used to negotiate a price, if you are willing to stomach such tick, etc.
2) it is not advisable to have the TSB performed, unless you will accept a safety risk of unknown magnitude

if you already have DS with the tick noise, #2 applies.
if you already have DS with the tick noise, i guess your only options are #1 (stomach the tick), or, sell the DS, or, return under lemon law. if selling and you cannot obtain true fair market value because of the tick noise and #2 , you can then file a law suit against manufacturer to buy back the vehicle at fair market value.

in summary though, its up to the buyer to ascertain if the $$ spent is worth it. in this case, its like vegas, its a gamble since not every owner has complained (tick may be there but owner does not hear it, passengers however might hear it).

and for those who allowed dealer to perform the TSB, i would seriously advise you to get professional opinion from other agencies like your insurance company, IIHS, NTSB, other, etc etc. bottom line is, the TSB prescribes structural changes and/or non-intended stresses that is not in the original design of the vehicle, and there is zero post TSB analysis available from anyone. i already posted that the controls used with robotics are very strict, which is not something you can get from some guy with his 120v Miller MIG at a dealer or some unknown body shop ! i mean geez, the TSB says to use a MIG, doesnt even suggest what gas to use, should it be 100% argon, and even if the TSB said "use 100% argon" who is verifying that the MIG guy was using 100% argon? TSB does not even prescribe the type of MIG wire to use !

re-welding is not as simple as "grind out and re-weld with a MIG". that is terrible prescription that can lead to very bad things.

i also suspect a recall coming for any DS that had the TSB performed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
10min edit time was up, so i continue here

does everyone know what HAZ is (welding related)? if not then i suggest you go look it up. HAZ can be a major factor in failed parts! for me personally, i would never allow that TSB to be performed, nor would i want to get into a DS that had the TSB done to it.

i also suspect that if a re-weld was done, you'll have accelerated corrosion in that area, especially in high humidity areas, this corrosion will also weaken that area over time, etc.

TATA has had 3yrs to fix this issue, its not fixed, so what does that tell you about how JLR is being managed? you can throw all the marketing crap and fancy TV ads at me all day, thats not what gets me to ink a sale. really mind boggling that a fix at Halewood is not in place, and then JLR throws out a TSB that can actually compromise the safety of the vehicle!

in the end, its your safety, safety of passengers, its your $$, and only you can decide if the ROI and risk is acceptable.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does your DS have the ticking - or did you get lucky?

I'm not sure what percentage of DS's have the ticking vs. those that don't, and how long it takes to manifest...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does your DS have the ticking - or did you get lucky?

I'm not sure what percentage of DS's have the ticking vs. those that don't, and how long it takes to manifest...
i didnt buy yet, my $50+k sales order is on hold. the dealer wants MSRP pricing and i am not paying MSRP, and there will be a discount because of this tick issue. if dealer does not want to ink a sale then i will simply move on to BMW or MB

as for the ratio, i dunno, some have reported that the tick comes and goes with seasonal temp changes, others have said they dont hear it, others said they have the tick always, others have said they did the TSB and the tick did not go away. so right there it tells you that even doing the TSB is a gamble, the tick may not go away, but we know for sure, doing the TSB impacts safety of the vehicle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll be curious if your dealer moves off of MSRP due to the ticking issue. If they do, maybe I can go back and ask for a refund;) (I didn't do research before I bought mine, so was unaware of the issue :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll be curious if your dealer moves off of MSRP due to the ticking issue. If they do, maybe I can go back and ask for a refund;) (I didn't do research before I bought mine, so was unaware of the issue :rolleyes:)
the tick noise is one item i am using to get dealer to back down some on price.

i wonder if there are laws around auto sales like there are for home sales. in some locales a seller must disclose certain things about the home. in auto sales the seller should have a requirement to disclose all TSB's that have been issued, this would at least allow a buyer to see what issues the vehicle may have prior to buying it. <-- i'll be talking to one of my state reps to see if we can get a bill passed so that dealers are required to disclose all TSB's to the buyer before the sale is inked. its consumer protection, etc.

i spoke to many dealer sales guys, they all said "hmmmm, wasnt aware of that, let me check with my service manager", and then a day or so later we talk again and i get "yeah, service manager knows about it". i even had one sales guy tell me that the issue was fixed in Halewood....... it was a BS line, so i educated him. very odd that they dont know, this TSB has been around for 2yrs now, carrying over into 2017, and applies to all DS's.

everything these days is buyer beware.

you have your DS, hopefully you did not get TSB done, hopefully you dont have the tick noise?

·
Registered
211 Posts
So far, so good for me (knock wood). Have had mine for about 10 weeks, and about 2,100 miles, so I'm sure I am out of the woods yet! (fingers crossed, knock wood, rub rabbits foot, etc., etc.)...

·
Registered
54 Posts
This tick thing sounds pretty darn intrusive as an irritation. If the only resolution is to "stomach" it, doesn't seem too flashy and attractive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a '17 HSE and have the option turned on so mirrors fold in upon locking. No ticking or any other issues. I've had the car a month and a half and put about 2200 miles on. No issues

1 - 20 of 43 Posts